Rip mark naley great footballer but also a top bloke

Last edited by blacky on Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
blacky
blacky

My club : west

Back to top Go down

RIP Empty Re: RIP

Post by blueandwhite on Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:44 pm

Very sad day for the SAFC and the Naley family.
As most of us know Mark had a ferocious battle with Brain cancer and sadly after a few years of fighting this insidious disease he has finally succumbed after putting up an amazing fight.
I think most of us recall Marks magnificent games at Interstate level where he was invariably high in SA's best with his blistering speed and sublime skills always to the fore. He won a tassie medal for the best player from all states at the carnival that in those days was held every 4 yrs. He also won Sa's best- Fos Williams medal against WA in 1984. he saved his best for the big games and was high among VFL team Carltons best in its Grand Final win over Hawthorn in 1987.
Personally I'll remember him as an outrageously talented schoolboy 3 yrs below me at school, in the same class as Tony Symonds who went on to play for the Bays and Hawthorn.
Nails played 236 games for South from 1980 and was runner up in the Magarey medal in the early 80s , he went to Carlton in 87-90 and then after his return from Carlton finally won the Magarey medal in 1991.
His great regret was that he never played in a South premiership team. Post retirement he was a regular at South games and was always up for a chat!!
In my opinion perhaps he was one of Souths 3 greatest players of all time..the others being Peter Darley and Jim Deane - would have made a good combination in the centre square those 3!
Rest easy Nails, chs!
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey on Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:33 pm

Fantastically talented player. Was tough as nails and his disposal was usually immaculate.

As an opposition supporter he was a player you liked to watch as Naley was really good, rarely made a mistake so we couldn't bag him and damaged your team when he got the ball. Would have loved to have him playing for us.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum