What does the guy have to do
Move to NSW
blacky
blacky

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Team for south Africa Empty Re: Team for south Africa

Post by bayman Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:58 am

I think you answered your own question, Jon Holland gets selected to tour on shield performances & yet the same criteria doesn’t apply for Chad
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket_rooster Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:09 pm

blacky wrote:One has to feel for chadd Sayers overlooked again
What does the guy have to do
Move to NSW

This move to NSW is a load of rubbish.

As a very wise man has said elsewhere it is WA who get the dream run. Langer talks down anyone who is not from WA and talks up every WA player and the selectors seem to listen.

I have seen a list of duds from WA who have represented Australia in the last 30 years or so. It is staggering. It must total about 20. Other than Maddinson I can't think of too many duds from NSW.

Richardson was talked into the squad by both Langer and Hussey.
rocket_rooster
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:00 pm

while this time around he is in New Zealand i reckon Tom Moody is the main Sandgroper that pushes the Western Australian claims for national selections, however the NSW point is relevant, if there is a 50/50 selection issue & one hails from NSW then 8/10 times he'll get the nod......how long did it take the selectors to pick Michael Hussey & Darren Lehmann in their playing days ?
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket_rooster Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:23 pm

bayman wrote:while this time around he is in New Zealand i reckon Tom Moody is the main Sandgroper that pushes the Western Australian claims for national selections, however the NSW point is relevant, if there is a 50/50 selection issue & one hails from NSW then 8/10 times he'll get the nod......how long did it take the selectors to pick Michael Hussey & Darren Lehmann in their playing days ?

Justin Langer is the brown nose to end all brown noses and has much to much to say. The WA bias started off when Lawrie Sawle was chairman of selectors. Remember when Mike Valetta played 8 tests as a batsman with a top score of less than 40 and an average of 18.8. I can pick a team of WA players who haven't deserved selection or as many chances as they have received.

Who were the NSW players who kept Lehmann and Hussey out of the side? The Waugh twins? Lehmann and Hussey were normally competing with Damian Martyn and Ricky Ponting.

In my 50 odd years of watching test cricket Nic Maddinson and maybe Doug Bollinger are about the only two NSW players who I believe have been gifted test caps.
rocket_rooster
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:01 pm

Without going through every NSW player to play test cricket, I’d suggest you could add Moises Henriques to that list to start with & despite your fine points, in my opinion the NSW theory is very relevant & in fact I heard Greg Blewett interviewed this morning & he agreed that Chad should move to NSW to get a chance, albeit he was somewhat prompted
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket_rooster Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:20 pm

bayman wrote:Without going through every NSW player to play test cricket, I’d suggest you could add Moises Henriques to that list to start with & despite your fine points, in my opinion the NSW theory is very relevant & in fact I heard Greg Blewett interviewed this morning & he agreed that Chad should move to NSW to get a chance, albeit he was somewhat prompted

I guess what I am saying is that we should stop whinging about NSW. The late David Hookes started it when he had his run in with Geoff Lawson. I had never heard it before. Who from NSW shouldn't be in the team at the moment? Bancroft and Richardson are certainly two WA players at the moment who are blessed.

And you say about Henriques. Until Mitch Marsh's recall this season Henriques had a better record than Marsh.
rocket_rooster
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:08 am

Mitch Marsh can consider himself the anointed one.
He has done well in the recent Ashes series, but bugger all with bat or ball prior to that.

Whether that is down to Langer, I cannot say. I suppose when your name is Marsh you maybe start a couple of points ahead of the rest.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket_rooster Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:38 am

Langer is the one constantly talking up the WA players. I guess that is part if his job, but he clearly was the person who did the hatchet job on Renshaw and then Handscombe.
rocket_rooster
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:26 pm

NEW SOUTH WALES
Australia the best overall team Ive seen for the last 50 years
Its a proven formula select New South Wales players and succeed
They have won the most Sheffield Shields for a reason
There will be an occasional non performing New South Wales player that get selected , but overall, they produce a lot of very good test cricketers

ROCKET ROOSTER
You must have a bug on the table I sit at
It was only 2 weeks ago I had this NSW 'gifting' of selections discussion with a media personality
The media man was quite scathing of the perceived NSW selection bias
I pointed out your very point about how WA have had a lot of iffy selections compared to NSW over the years
The current Australian touring side to South Africa is a classic example

NSW
Cummins
Hazelwood
Lyon
Smith
Starc
Warner
6 outstanding cricketers , all currently automatic selections

WA
Bancroft
M Marsh
S Marsh
Richardson
4 good cricketers
However all 4 are series to series propositions , and are the fringe of the team
Both Marsh boys have been a bit fortunate to be selected or perservered with

Jyhe Richardson has been selected on potential , he might end up a decent fast bowler for Australia
But this Western Australian will count himself very very fortunate to tour in front of Chad Sayers

THE ONES THAT GOT AWAY
And NSW have cleared the following players
A : The worlds fastest bowler I reckon Ive ever seen to QL
B : Australias greatest 'batting' wicket keeper of all time to WA
C: Perhaps the greatest left hand batsman Australia has produced to QL
D: The worlds greatest ever batsman to SA
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket_rooster Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:25 pm

rocket_rooster wrote:
bayman wrote:while this time around he is in New Zealand i reckon Tom Moody is the main Sandgroper that pushes the Western Australian claims for national selections, however the NSW point is relevant, if there is a 50/50 selection issue & one hails from NSW then 8/10 times he'll get the nod......how long did it take the selectors to pick Michael Hussey & Darren Lehmann in their playing days ?

Justin Langer is the brown nose to end all brown noses and has much to much to say. The WA bias started off when Lawrie Sawle was chairman of selectors. Remember when Mike Valetta played 8 tests as a batsman with a top score of less than 40 and an average of 18.8. I can pick a team of WA players who haven't deserved selection or as many chances as they have received.

Who were the NSW players who kept Lehmann and Hussey out of the side? The Waugh twins? Lehmann and Hussey were normally competing with Damian Martyn and Ricky Ponting.

In my 50 odd years of watching test cricket Nic Maddinson and maybe Doug Bollinger are about the only two NSW players who I believe have been gifted test caps.

I actually have done Doug Bollinger a disservice. Anyone who takes 411 First class wickets at 28.06 and 50 test wickets at 25.92 certainly has earned a test cap.

I guess that Doug "blowing up" in shockingly hot conditions in the Ashes test of 2010-11 has stuck in my mind. He never played another test after taking 1 for 130 in that match at more than 4 runs an over. Prior to that test he had 49 test wickets at 23.80. Not too shabby.

So we are left with Maddinson, maybe Henriques and perhaps Greg Dyer as the only NSW players of the last 30 years to have played test cricket who shouldn't have. And in Greg Dyer's case the wicket keeping stocks in Australia at the time were at an all time low until Ian Healy was plucked from obscurity.
rocket_rooster
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:10 am

rocket_rooster wrote:

24/1/2018 Rocket Rooster posted about Doug Bollinger
5/2/2018 Doug Bollinger announces his retirement !

Ive been a Doug Bollinger fan
As RR has alluded in a subsequent post Dougies record speaks for itself
Another New South Welshman player who did well in Test cricket

DOUG BOLLINGER
12 tests
50 wickets
25.92 average

Excellent Test cricketer when you consider his FC bowling average ends up at 28.06

UNITAB ODDS TO WIN THE 4 TEST SERIES[I would rather 5 tests]
1-90 South Africa
3-00 Australia
4-50 Drawn series

QUESTION
How many times has South Africa beaten Australia in a test series in South Africa , since South Africa resumed form Apartheid?
Answer that question and then LOOK at the odds for the series win ....

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:17 am

RR, the obvious question that follows the NSW selection process is this:

No doubt nearly all the NSW players deserved their selection on their ability, but was the same criteria used for those from other states who also deserved to play Test cricket?

It seems that NSW cricketers are shoe-horned in very quickly, whereas (say) SA players have to wait forever, then are discarded after one failure.

I always remember SA players being overlooked on the grounds that 'the Adelaide Oval is a batting paradise'.

I agree that it's now WA players who get the easy selection ride.

The selectors' statements that 'go back to Shield cricket and perform' is clearly nonsense these days.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:52 pm

Class of 1994
The basic Test line up and their Sheffield Shield batting stats
Start of February 1994

Matches played /batting average in Sheffield Shield and Test Matches
TAYLOR
SS... 63...45.64
TM... 51...47.98

SLATER
SS...15....51.11
TM...11...49.76

BOON
SS...78...42.02
TM...85...45.92

M WAUGH
SS...54...56.84
TM...32...41.06

S WAUGH
SS...51...45.62
TM...61...41.80

A BORDER
No stats required for arguably the greatest LH batsman Australia has ever had

At the time we had
4 x NSW
1 X TAS
+ AB who was first selected for Australia when playing for NSW
The 5 NSW players all deserved their spots
The other David Boon had the worst SS average of that batting line up of 42.02

Other batsman who were trying to break into the team
Please note only players who had not played a test match included :

SIDDONS
SS...90...50.63

BOOF
SS...53...48.29

BEVAN
SS...41...46.84

LAW
SS...52...41.23

Just from those listings , you cant say Siddons and Boof were overlooked because they were non NSW players
The NSW players all deserved their spots

The depth of batting in 1994 was very very deep
Heres a list of non NSW players who were playing SS in 1994

HODGE
JONES
BLEWETT
HAYDEN
LOVE
MAHER
PONTING
LANGER
MARTYN
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:18 pm

" What the WACA provide is up to them
We would have played in the outfield, it would have played just as good
You expect the WACA to have bounce, but you dont expect to come here and see 6 inches of grass on the track
There are no Test players from Western Australia this year, which is a sad thing, and if thats what they have to prepare for bowlers to get a wicket, its a sad state of affairs, I think
Its little wonder that Western Australia has never produced a batsman whose averaged 40 in Test Cricket if theyre the things they have to put up with."

By
Darrin Ramshaw
Victorian Sheffield Shield captain , in 1994
Ramshaw very critical of the Perth pitch

Getting back to the opinions of WA players being half gifted Test spots , Ramshaw states no WA batsman by 1994 had averaged 40+ in test cricket
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:56 am

South Africa lead 2-1 after 3 tests

3rd test
311 SA
255 AU
373 SA
AU 107

Been a lot of press in this 3rd test
Nothing mentioned about Hashim Amlas consistent batting though
Amla made 31 in both innings

Australia can still square this series
Steven Smith 5 + 7 in this 3rd test
He is out of form and had to be dropped for the last test ....
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down