Thiele
yawp
19 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

SANFL Fast Footy - Page 2 Empty Re: SANFL Fast Footy

Post by bayman Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:39 pm

Michael wrote:How does that make it difficult ? Shouldn't the percentage be calculated on the way ? Not that it matters as I'd be surprised if 1000 attended .

Michael, just out of curiosity, the 1000 you speak of is the per day or for both days in total?
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket_rooster Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:30 pm

bayman wrote:
rocket_rooster wrote:This is not a new concept. A similar competition was played at the Wayville Showgrounds in 1994. It was promoted as a lightning carnival and may have been 9 a side. North won the competition because they played a very, very small team which ran rings around the opposition. Brett Mancini captained the North side and that is about all I remember of that competition.
It was held in about February.

I must be losing it as that doesn’t even ring a bell with me

Funnily enough the only game I have any recollection of in that carnival is North vs Glenelg. A talented North junior of the time, Daniel Walsh ran rings around an ageing Ross Gibbs. I doubt that Gibbs would have been particularly interested.

Walsh played league that year at 16 years of age but despite having a few moments never had a big impact at league level.
rocket_rooster
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by bayman Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:17 pm

Thanks Michael
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:50 pm

Centrals have dismissed Fast Footy as a 'gimmick' while confirming they won't be participating in Fast Footy due to a clash in their pre-season training.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/sport/roy-laird-says-central-district-wont-play-in-gimmick-sanfl-fast-footy-competition/news-story/dc99f5784ca8bc8c3484715a6af33eb1

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:41 pm

Brucetiki wrote:Centrals have dismissed Fast Footy as a 'gimmick' while confirming they won't be participating in Fast Footy due to a clash in their pre-season training.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/sport/roy-laird-says-central-district-wont-play-in-gimmick-sanfl-fast-footy-competition/news-story/dc99f5784ca8bc8c3484715a6af33eb1

Would it be considered a Roycott of the concept?
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:40 pm

C.K wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:Centrals have dismissed Fast Footy as a 'gimmick' while confirming they won't be participating in Fast Footy due to a clash in their pre-season training.

Would it be considered a Roycott of the concept?

Laird down misere, I'd say.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by saintal Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:34 am

Roy should be running this league- would do a far better job than those current in charge.

Makes an excellent point about the lack of marketing/promotion for the season proper.
saintal
saintal

My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:44 am

The point about it being thrown on the clubs at the last minute is quite valid too.

It was late enough that Centrals had already planned for pre-season activities for next weekend, and couldn't change them (nor should they).

It also appears Fast Footy has been created on the run. Early promos for Fast Footy had the game ending once a team scored 50 points (and getting a bonus point). This rule appears to have been quietly dropped in recent promos.

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:47 pm

Without wishing to poo poo this concept, as it seems to have appeal in some quarters, but I just think that marketing and promotion effort (and $) could be going into the main game which continues to suffer at the hands of footy leagues above and below it.

It just strikes me that the $ is being spread thinly enough already, without another concept to fund.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by scott Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:46 pm

AFL wanted FastFooty to tap into a market like Twenty20 did so successfully.

The difference with Twenty20 is you're downsizing an eight-hour-a-day game to a bareable three hours for families.

Aussie Rules is already less than three hours long and all you're doing is downsizing it to 20-30 mins which doesn't seem appealing at all.

Focus on fixing the glaringly obvious issues with the main game and you'll be sweet. Better marketing, trying better to capture the youth, stop the clock when there's ball ups, etc are all ways that'll help everything going forward.
scott
scott

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:45 am

It does reek of an AFL directive to get fastfooty/AFLX off the ground, are the WAFL doing similar?

Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:56 am

I respect Central's decision, as they do what they see as best for their club.

The concept, through the SANFL, was originally put up by former West CEO, John Kantilaftas about 18 months ago.  West were looking to start it last pre-season as a 'one-off' game against another SANFL club, as an experiment.  Time beat it then, but the SANFL were aware of it and picked up the concept.

I'm happy to see how it goes.  Public acceptance or otherwise will decide if it has a future, but SANFL footy needs a boost, so we'll see what happens.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by scott Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:33 am

Scrunch wrote:It does reek of an AFL directive to get fastfooty/AFLX off the ground, are the WAFL doing similar?

WAFL isn't doing anything.

For a long time it seemed the SANFL went at it alone but in the past few years there's definitely been heavy AFL influence in their decision-making (and you can understand to a degree given there's AFL funding at stake).

Obviously the prize money on offer here can't be siphoned into the main season given it's derived from the sponsorship by Australian Unity directed at the FastFooty competition specifically, so without FastFooty that specific money wouldn't exist. But Roy does make a good point above all else - the main competition needs far better exposure and marketing.

Coke and McDonalds are huge brands and they still advertise. It's just what you need to do. It's amazing the SANFL does as well as what it does all things considered. But it can still be so much better despite what the doom-and-gloomers say. It's not a lost cause by any stretch of the imagination. There is still so much appeal about state footy.
scott
scott

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:19 am

Very disappointing crowd, but easy to watch and looked like a good hitout for the teams.

Very happy with Westies first run.

Izak Rankine's back flip somersault was fun to watch.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:48 am

Lee wrote:Very disappointing crowd, but easy to watch and looked like a good hitout for the teams.

Based on what, Lee?

Speaking to League officials, they expected 1,500 people for the whole night.

The official crowd was just a tick over 1,700 going on what was announced on the night.

I think there will be a good turn out today / tonight.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:49 am

Lee wrote:Izak Rankine's back flip somersault was fun to watch.

Equally as impressive was the jump the fence and applause of his own goal celebration from Norwood's Declan Hamiliton.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:06 pm

Big Phil wrote:
Lee wrote:Very disappointing crowd, but easy to watch and looked like a good hitout for the teams.

Based on what, Lee?

Speaking to League officials, they expected 1,500 people for the whole night.

The official crowd was just a tick over 1,700 going on what was announced on the night.

I think there will be a good turn out today / tonight.

Based on the fact that there were 1700 people across 8 teams, which equates to just over 200 attendees per team.

Free entry, Norwood on a Friday night, etc.

The League would be very disappointed and if they're not, I would be very surprised at the low bar set.

Personally, I enjoyed it, thought the SANFL had put in a lot of effort and it was well worth far more spectators.

Certainly not blaming the SANFL, just disappointed with the crowd and calling a spade a spade.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by goddy11 Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:41 pm

It was an extremely hot day and I watched the game on the SANFL website. I can not justify traveling  to watch my team play for 40 minutes when the travelling takes longer to and from. I would not stay to watch the other games.   Also I don't like Norward oval. Its an old tired ground, parking is poor and I don't fancy Coopers.
goddy11
goddy11

Teams : crows,ealges,
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:47 pm

Lee wrote:Certainly not blaming the SANFL, just disappointed with the crowd and calling a spade a spade.

Totally agree, mate.

I'm sure the League would have loved to have 5,000 people here, but the heat was a major factor, for sure.

Hopefully they get a good turn out today. I'm enjoying the concept and getting to see some new faces.
Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:55 pm

Big Phil wrote:
Lee wrote:Certainly not blaming the SANFL, just disappointed with the crowd and calling a spade a spade.

Totally agree, mate.

I'm sure the League would have loved to have 5,000 people here, but the heat was a major factor, for sure.

Hopefully they get a good turn out today. I'm enjoying the concept and getting to see some new faces.

Heat would be a factor for sure, the biggest factor is its a Micky Mouse competition & given the lists I read I think while clubs participated they were luke warm to the idea & felt obliged to enter a team.....if there is going to be a pre season competition then do it instead of having trial games & I’m sure Foundation SA or Living Health would sponsor it again just like they did when tobacco sponsorship was banned
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by oldfella Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:52 pm

West Adelaide 19.9-123
Port adelaide 2.1-13
oldfella
oldfella

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:46 pm

No stream today 'due to feedback about the quality of the content not doing the game justice'.

Back to top Go down

Post by goddy11 Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:48 pm

Brucetiki wrote:No stream today 'due to feedback about the quality of the content not doing the game justice'.

The vision was ok. The commentary is only secondary.
goddy11
goddy11

Teams : crows,ealges,
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next