big changes...Cricket Australias' contract players

5 posters

Go down

big changes...Cricket Australias' contract players  Empty big changes...Cricket Australias' contract players

Post by bayman Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:44 am

Stanlake, Agar and Cartwright big winners in proposed offers awaiting MOU confirmation
Cricket Australia has today announced 33 male and female players as its centrally contracted players for 2017-18. Twenty men and 13 women have been offered contracts by CA, which are intended to come in to effect on 1 July this year. Towering Queensland quick Billy Stanlake and Western Australia allrounders Ashton Agar and Hilton Cartwight have been offered contracts for the first time. Tasmania allrounder James Faulkner, NSW wicketkeeper Peter Nevill, WA batsman Shaun Marsh and Victoria fast bowler Peter Siddle were not offered contracts.

CA male contract offers for 2017-18: Ashton Agar, Jackson Bird, Hilton Cartwright, Pat Cummins, Aaron Finch, Peter Handscomb, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, James Pattinson, Matthew Renshaw, Steve Smith, Billy Stanlake, Mitchell Starc, Matthew Wade, David Warner, Adam Zampa.

CA female contract offers for 2017-18: Kristen Beams, Alex Blackwell, Nicole Bolton, Lauren Cheatle, Rachael Haynes, Alyssa Healy, Jess Jonassen, Meg Lanning, Beth Mooney, Ellyse Perry, Megan Schutt, Elyse Villani, Amanda-Jade Wellington.

Faulkner has to be the biggest surprise & M. Marsh keeping one is almost as big a surprise to me

cricket experts your thoughts please
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

big changes...Cricket Australias' contract players  Empty Re: big changes...Cricket Australias' contract players

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:23 am

Agree on M Marsh.
He has done so little with the ball and even less with the bat.

How they work this out is beyond me.

O'Keefe plays in the Indian tests but can't get a gig.
Nevill is a bit stiff too imo. Wade has been ok, but is getting on and his test batting is average.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

big changes...Cricket Australias' contract players  Empty Re: big changes...Cricket Australias' contract players

Post by UncleHuey Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:24 pm

No idea how M Marsh kept his contract. Surely there is a limit on how long people can be picked for "potential".
Thought Agar and Cartwright were both very lucky to be offered contracts, cant see either being a regular Australian representative in any form of the game in the next 12 months.

Neville is very stiff to miss out, I remain totally unconvinced by Wade. Neither his keeping or batting is more then usual Sheffield Shield level.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed May 24, 2017 10:44 pm

What is your take on the Cricket Australia v ACA impasse?

Are we going to see cricket this summer?

I read today that the ACA is taking steps to set up a legal entity to hold the players' IP in their images, voices and videos. Once their contracts expire with CA, it will not be able to use the players in any promotional material without their consent.

It sounds like the complexity in the contract dispute is increasing rather than being resolved.

Will be interesting to see if any olive branches are offered by either side before the June 30 deadline.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Fri May 26, 2017 12:54 pm

Agree Chambo, they seem further away from an agreement then ever. Surely one side will have to make a move.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri May 26, 2017 8:58 pm

Maybe Sayers might finally get a cap!
Or they might pluck a bowler from Sydney's Bankstown D grade instead.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri May 26, 2017 11:55 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:Maybe Sayers might finally get a cap!
Or they might pluck a bowler from Sydney's Bankstown D grade instead.

forget the Bankstown D grade get Scrappy out of retirement, he's a wily old veteran
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Sun May 28, 2017 8:41 pm

Prob end up captain!
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:13 am

So my take on it is that the ACA (players) won. Sort of.
The proportion of revenue model that has been in place for eons has been retained.

Not sure if the % they were seeking got watered down or other concessions amounted to much.

I suspect things got to the point for CA that massive dollars in sponsorship, TV deals and all manner of commercial arrangements for this season were going to be lost and the "D-Day" loomed larger for them more than the players lost payments.

My take on cricket administration in Australia is that it has been a history, first and foremost about the establishment dictating terms without proper acknowledgement of the product (which includes the players and spectators) they are custodians over. In my opinion this goes back long pre-Bradman's administration era that in turn led to the 3 year Packer WSC war.

Whilst Packer did give the players' interests meaningful attention, his primary motivation was the $$ that the TV rights brought. Ultimately he never had the custodianship of the game in his sights.

However, I just don't think Cricket administrators have learnt much over the last 40 years just how sport runs in the professional world these days. Their collective thinking doesn't seem to have evolved at the same rate.

Look at US Baseball / Basketball that have had season's decimated in the last 10 years by strike action. The dollars in those environments is obscene compared to Cricket, but the players were prepared to stand on their dig and hold out. What it says is that they are not a disorganised rabble of jocks and that administrators everywhere need to meet negotiations with a proper measure of goodwill.

In terms of Australian sport, I can't recall anything coming as close to this sort of malaise in recent times.

AFL has had its ups and downs between AFLPA and AFL House but they seem to have managed to get the deal done without bloodshed.

Soccer and Basketball seem to go through periodic turmoil, but that seems to be more about the game administration, funding models, sponsorship and related matters than with the players as such.

I suppose the NRL suffered when the Superleague came into being. How long ago was that? !5 years or so?

Most recently in the last 12 months Netball Australia had its degree of turmoil, but that seemed to be more about its Board factions warring and the players voicing displeasure over it. I am not up with all of that in terms of how it affected player contracts, but when push came to shove it seemingly got settled without disruption to the season.

It will be very interesting to see just how the Australian Cricketers apply themselves to the preparation for their most important assignment in the cricket world - an Ashes series. If they get smashed I am positive the media will have CA squarely in its sights. However, as we have seen with the last 4 or 5 Ashes series, Australia can show a brittle nature at times when tested, and particularly in England.

Whatever happens, the lead up has not been ideal to say the least.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:50 am

INTERNATIONAL + GRASS ROOTS CRICKETERS

Might seam hard for grass roots cricketers to comprehend all of this money issue
There are club cricketers out there who are paying to play
Some are :
Paying a registration with a club
Paying for ball fees in each game
Paying the cost of injuries sustained playing cricket

These guys more or less play cricket for the love of it , as I did
I paid to play, my body is now paying the price of playing a fantastic sport over 5 decades as well

Having said that ,  all the professional cricketers need to be compensated for loss of income whilst playing sport
Its almost impossible for International cricketers to be sufficiently employed , therefore cricket is more or less their job
Grass root cricketers in general are still fully employable
I mostly think International cricketers deserve the thousands/millions they can earn, but the general public, the average joe blow and the grass roots cricketer may not
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:46 pm

The Cricketers' Association claimed they won all the bargaining points, which would indicate they held out in the bargaining longer than CA.

I have no problem with the players getting a fair deal for playing, as they should, but grassroots cricket gets next to nothing and the top players are more than adequately rewarded.

On the other hand, CA is hopeless.

As for the money paid to top US sportsmen, I find that obscene in the world we live in today. I'd legislate that a good percentage of the after-tax amount it has to go to charities.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:26 pm

I thought that the deal was to include money filtering down to lower levels. Maybe that was CA's position in their revenue model rather than the players' one.

You would honestly think that either way, this should occur and be able to occur with the dollars involved. If CA say it can't now under the system agreed to then they are just stonewalling and not acting in good faith.

I don't have a lot of faith in CA either.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum