goddy11
Lachlan2
Thiele
killer
Brucetiki
27 posters

Page 20 of 36 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28 ... 36  Next

Go down

Your Best by the Numbers. - Page 20 Empty Re: Your Best by the Numbers.

Post by C.K Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:33 pm

This may create unrest but...David Granger holds a justifably infamous place in SANFL history for a number of unsavory and highly unnecessary incidents but it doesn't reflect that he coukd be a very effective key forward when he was focused on the contest.  I saw a number of games where he simply played his football role and was very hard ti contain at his best.

Sadly - especially for the likes of Neville Caldwell and Stephen Barratt and Graham Cornes-  his record will be rightly forever tarnished for other reasons.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:14 pm

Several for the Bloods, the 2 best probably being Jeff Bray and Rod Pope, both with over 200 games. I think Chambo selected Rod at another number, but 18 is his major number.

Bray was a terrific CHB and also played for South Melbourne.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket_rooster Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:18 pm

The best number 18 is also the best number 29. Bob Hammond played over 100 games as number 18 at North and then over 100 games as number 29.
Most posters probably don't realise that Hammond spent two years (1966 and 1967) working, coaching and playing in Port Pirie and only played the first games of the SANFL season and the finals in which North played. He still wore number 18 in 1966 but when he played the first minor round game of 1967 he wore number 29. When he came back to the city in 1968 he wore number 29. It would be an interesting exercise to see which number he played more games in.
rocket_rooster
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket_rooster Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:28 pm

Lee wrote:Several for the Bloods, the 2 best probably being Jeff Bray and Rod Pope, both with over 200 games. I think Chambo selected Rod at another number, but 18 is his major number.

Bray was a terrific CHB and also played for South Melbourne.

Great player, Jeff Bray. He was favourite for the 1963 Magarey Medal and won a car as footballer of the year on Channel 7. He wasn't nearly as good a player when he came back from South Melbourne in about 1968. His grandson currently plays for the Swan. His surname is Papley and is a very handy type but a different type of player to Jeff Bray.

Rod Pope was a great player too. I thought that he was very, very unlucky not to be All Australian in 1969. I saw all three state games in that carnival. I was young but I thought that the All Australian selectors confused the two South Australian half back flankers. He always played the game as it was meant to be played, hard but scrupulously fair. I believe that attitude was what led to the personality clash that resulted in him and Greg Nicholson transferring to Norwood.
rocket_rooster
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket_rooster Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:30 pm

rocket_rooster wrote:The best number 18 is also the best number 29. Bob Hammond played over 100 games as number 18 at North and then over 100 games as number 29.
Most posters probably don't realise that Hammond spent two years (1966 and 1967) working, coaching and playing in Port Pirie and only played the first games of the SANFL season and the finals in which North played. He still wore number 18 in 1966 but when he played the first minor round game of 1967 he wore number 29. When he came back to the city in 1968 he wore number 29. It would be an interesting exercise to see which number he played more games in.

I know that I need to get a life but Bob Hammond played 115 games as number 18 and 131 games as number 29.

I think he wore number 1 at Norwood when he was there playing coach but am not sure of that fact.
rocket_rooster
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by southern bulldog Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:25 pm

One of our most admired players who wore no 18 was Jason "'Buckets'" Mckenzie he was a crowd favourite at Elizabeth
southern bulldog
southern bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:35 pm

rocket_rooster wrote:
rocket_rooster wrote:The best number 18 is also the best number 29. Bob Hammond played over 100 games as number 18 at North and then over 100 games as number 29.

I know that I need to get a life but Bob Hammond played 115 games as number 18 and 131 games as number 29.

I think he wore number 1 at Norwood when he was there playing coach but am not sure of that fact.

Yes I have him at 29 as that was his the number he played most games in.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:33 pm

More controversy Lee, I remember Jeff Bray as wearing No.14, and have a 1967 Budget showing that.
He was a very reliable CHB from my memories of him, and seemed a bit short for that position.
Pope was terrific and hugely popular at Westies. Rocket Rooster alluded to a personality clash being behind his move to Norwood, and it's certainly my understanding that he and Greg Nicholson didn't get on well with Fos Williams. Nicholson was also a huge loss.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket_rooster Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:08 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:
rocket_rooster wrote:

Yes I have him at 29 as that was his the number he played most games in.

You have to have him as 18 as well. He played 7 seasons in 18 and 7 seasons in 29. He is the only player who has his name on two lockers at the club.
rocket_rooster
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:00 am

For the premise of this, it was intended to list them in the number they played mostly in.
it will become apparent at the end. You can't select a player twice in the one team.
Oops, I may have just given the game away. It probably doesn't really matter in the end, but I guess how you want to look at it.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:06 am

No 18. Craig Marriot (not sure of spelling) I haven't watched the grand final replay for a fair while but I'm sure he's the one that picked the ball up on the boundary line as Bob Hammond tried paddling it over the line (almost was successful in doing it) & kicked the ball forward & Graham Cornes took the now famous mark
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:20 am

Flag No.10 wrote:More controversy Lee, I remember Jeff Bray as wearing No.14, and have a 1967 Budget showing that.
He was a very reliable CHB from my memories of him, and seemed a bit short for that position.
Pope was terrific and hugely popular at Westies. Rocket Rooster alluded to a personality clash being behind his move to Norwood, and it's certainly my understanding that he and Greg Nicholson didn't get on well with Fos Williams. Nicholson was also a huge loss.  

I agree, F19. Jeff did wear 14 and I think I recall him wearing 2 when he came back?.

He was more than reliable. Be was often dominant and was excellent overhead. Someone mentioned be won a car as a season's best player. I have a vague memory he just missed out on a car in controversial circumstances. He was clearly BOG in the last round game, but made an error late and West lost. The journalist voting fidn't give him even one vote and he lost by a vote.

Not that I hold a grudge, but I'd be interested if my memory is flawed.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket_rooster Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:39 am

Jeff Bray definitely won the car on Channel 7 in 1963. In 1963 West played Norwood in the last minor round game. The winner made the 4 and the loser missed out. West won that match so maybe it was another year you were thinking of.
Jeff Bray was part of the exodus of West players at the end of that seaon along with Neil Kerley, Ken Eustice, maybe Don Roach and a few other stars.

Last edited by rocket_rooster on Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
rocket_rooster
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:11 am

Thanks RR. I think it was another year, as I'm sure the last game was against Torrens at Thebarton.

Memory can be unreliable, so I might research to see if there was a season where that was the last game or not.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket_rooster Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:15 pm

Lee wrote:Thanks RR.  I think it was another year, as I'm sure the last game was against Torrens at Thebarton.

Memory can be unreliable, so I might research to see if there was a season where that was the last game or not.

Can't find any year in Bray's pre VFL career where West played Torrens at Thebbie in the last minor round game of the year. The memory does play tricks some times (unless you are Robranisgod).
rocket_rooster
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:31 pm

Lee, I have also found Bray listed as No.18 in a budget, so no controversy there.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:33 pm

Some more recent 18s:

Brent Macleod - South.
Richard O'Grady - Glenelg.
Brad Mercer - Port.
Charles Slattery - Centrals.
Ben Grieger - WWT.
Shannon Green - West.
Taylor Whitford - South.
Angus Clarke - Norwood.
Daniel Currie - North.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:38 pm

Less recent 18s:

John Lipp - Torrens. I remember him playing in defence, with Pill.
Colin Richens - Glenelg. A rover I think?
John Pfitzner - West. Tall bearded back pocket. Right footer Lee?
Trevor Stone - Woodville.
Brian Schwarz - Sturt.
Robbie Donaldson - West. One of those unlucky ones to play a long time for us and finish up the year before a flag.
David Johnston - Glenelg. (Is this the same one who played State cricket for SA?)
David McKay - Torrens. Solidly built centreman/on baller.
Bruce Browne - South.
Norm Tull - Port.
Cliff Giddings - Torrens.
Clarrie Cannon - West. Lee?
Tom Garland - Port.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by rocket_rooster Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:23 pm

Flag No.10 wrote:Less recent 18s:

John Lipp - Torrens. I remember him playing in defence, with Pill.
Colin Richens - Glenelg. A rover I think?
John Pfitzner - West. Tall bearded back pocket. Right footer Lee?
Trevor Stone - Woodville.
Brian Schwarz - Sturt.
Robbie Donaldson - West. One of those unlucky ones to play a long time for us and finish up the year before a flag.
David Johnston - Glenelg. (Is this the same one who played State cricket for SA?)
David McKay - Torrens. Solidly built centreman/on baller.
Bruce Browne - South.
Norm Tull - Port.
Cliff Giddings - Torrens.
Clarrie Cannon - West. Lee?
Tom Garland - Port.

John Pfitzner and Brian Schwarz were both Lutheran minister's of religion.
Colin Richens was both a rover and back pocket. Very fine player. Would have represented the state. He won a number of Glebelg best and fairests albeit when they were not a strong club.
Tom Garland played in some of the 1950s premierships for Port and Norm Tull may have played in one as well.
I think Clarrie Cannon was suspended for the highest total of games in the SANFL. His nickname was "Bang Bang" and I have been told he was the classic "White line fever" player.
David McKay came from Carlton and captained West Torrens 1984 reserves flag. He was a long time media caller.
David Johnston did play state cricket. Hs father Bill of course was part of Bradman's Invincibles.
Trevor Stone's main claim to fame was that he was one of the four Woodville players on the 1965 Mobil cards. He was originally from North but I don't know whether he played league at North. If he did it wouldn't have been many games.
John Lipp played on a half back flank during Torrens' run to the finals in 1969. Torrens supporters thought that him getting injured was one of the keys to Torrens not performing in the semi finals as they had in the second half of the minor round.
rocket_rooster
rocket_rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:42 pm

Snouts Louts lists Richens at #5. Probably another who switched.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:53 pm

Wasn't Bob Paech from Glenelg a Lutheran minister too, or training to be one?

Yes I have heard the same stories about Clarrie Cannon.

David Johnston has just recently resigned as head of Cricket Tasmania where he's been for some years. Used to work for ICA Indoor Cricket Centres in Adelaide.

I was at the 1969 First Semi Final which Torrens drew with West, before West won the replay the following week. Lipp would have been missed but I have a hazy recollection that Bob Loveday may have missed the final series with a broken leg that year. Can anyone confirm?
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:56 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:Snouts Louts lists Richens at #5. Probably another who switched.

Yes I have him in a budget at 18. I have also found Phillipou wearing 20 and 19, now Bray wearing 14 and 18, so we'll have to go by our best memories I guess, in the absence of any hard evidence.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:57 pm

Rocket Maynard was mentioned before, skillful player with a light frame. His contribution to footy in the state across many levels has been exceptional.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Phil Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:09 pm

southern bulldog wrote:One of our most admired players  who wore no 18 was  Jason "'Buckets'" Mckenzie he was a crowd favourite at Elizabeth

Jason 'Buckets' Mckenzie is one of the best ruckman the Bulldogs have ever had.

His record is very impressive but he had one of the best footy brains that I have ever seen.

Obviously won the Jack Oatey in 2008 and was pivotal for the Dogs in all the flags he played in for them.

He played in 6 League Premierships and 1 Reserves flag, all under Roy Laird, for the Central District Football Club.

Buckets played 162 senior games for the club and has been involved as an assistant coach in the last couple of years.

Retired after the 2010 Grand Final win over Norwood, later revealing he played that entire finals series with foot fractures.

A champion player on and off the field and a very humble person, as well.

Big Phil
Big Phil

Back to top Go down

Post by goddy11 Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:16 pm

Does anyone know what David McKay is doing nowadays? I remember him when he started at Torrens. They had him on stage and couldn't get a word from him. So quiet. A few years later you couldn't shut him up. A great character. I think he may have married Lyndsay Heads daughter.
goddy11
goddy11

Teams : crows,ealges,
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 36 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28 ... 36  Next