+3
Lee
Millsy
Chambo Off To Work We Go
7 posters

Go down

Experience Empty Experience

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:47 pm

It may surprise people, but Sturt are the second most experienced side in the sanfl.

By the measure of total games or number of players with over 50 games, they are at the top.

So what do you make of the following 2012 games stats in terms of the all sides' expectations?

Club Games 50-99 Games 100+ Total Games
CD------ 8 ------------- 5---------------1922
ST-------5--------------8---------------1826
WWT-----2--------------5---------------1682
NA-------6--------------5---------------1492
PA-------4--------------5---------------1250
ND-------7--------------3---------------1084
WA-------5--------------3---------------1037
G---------2--------------3---------------920
SA--------5--------------0---------------910

You look at sides with their supposed premiership window, they all have a good blend of experience with players in the 100+ games range and a number coming through in the 50 - 99 games range. I rate this as a reasonable benchmark for looking at where you are on the premiership clock.

In recent times, Sturt only slipped off the radar last year and have been consistently in the 5. Kane and Panozzo add 270 games of experience that has got to assist Sturt's young blokes. I think the Blues prospects are possibly higher than 8th or 9th as most pundits seem to be predicting.

Norwood for example have 750 games less experience, but Sturt still also have a couple more blokes in the 15 - 49 game range. If we can't match up better against sides this season, given all this experience, then perhaps cutting the cord to a few is needed. However, the gap from 5th to 9th wasn't that great anyway. I reckon the season could be quite an even one, which will make it very interesting.

It will also be interesting to see what the ladder looks like at the end of minor round and whether it trends anything towards the above list.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Experience Empty Re: Experience

Post by Lee Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:36 am

That's really interesting, Chambo.

I knew West were a young team, as were South and Glenelg has been forced to develop youth now, but the Sturt figures surprised me.

It will be interesting to do the same exercise with each team's starting 21 in Round 1.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:01 pm

I think this sort of analysis shows the work of the recruiting managers and tracking it over say 3 - 5 years would indicate just how volatile the sanfl is year to year in terms of player turnover.

I would think somebody either in clubs or sanfl would be doing this exercise.

I would love to see the total games graph for each club over the last 5 years. That would really tell you something I am guessing.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabre Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:04 pm

I guess the first test of your theory happens this week ‘Chambo’. Are you coming to Cooper's Stadium ?
Although only a trial game, if both clubs use their ‘A’ list seriously, your figures should still prove interesting mate.
As you said, a comparison against the standings after the minor round may indeed tell some tales.

You’ve reminded me of a game I used to play with The Budget years ago. During breaks in the Reserve’s match
I’d add up and average out all the league player stats for my team and compare them against our opposition.
I didn’t go to age or goals unless the stats showed a draw. If I remember correctly, the higher average height,
weight and games played figures more often than not won the choccies.

Whoops, I have a horrible feeling that we’re making a monumental statistical nightmare for ‘Spelly’!
Could take him a hundred years to go back through all player stats Vs results.

I obviously had too much time on my hands back then. These days I have far more fun with my new game.
As my mates get older I take great delight in catching up with them during the season and saying ….
“Where’s that drink you owe me from last time? C’mon it’s your shout ya’ bludger!”
Works a treat when they can’t remember.
Wink

Sabre
Sabre

Teams : Norwood
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:22 pm

That reminds me, Sabre, you owe me a drink from way back.

I'll collect when we next meet at a Norwood v West game.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabre Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:36 pm

Shocked
Now that’s not fair !
Damn! Now they’re all on to me.
Me and my big #^&$*%@ mouth !
Laughing
Sabre
Sabre

Teams : Norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:53 pm

redandblack wrote:That reminds me, Sabre, you owe me a drink from way back.

I'll collect when we next meet at a Norwood v West game.

That wasn't Sabre. It was just someone who looks, talks and behaves like Sabre. Hmm, scome to think of it ... it must have been Sabre Wink
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Cambridge Clarrie Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:52 pm

Agree that it's an interesting and somewhat surprising stat but number of games played doesn't mean a lot if those experienced players aren't much chop...
Cambridge Clarrie
Cambridge Clarrie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobbafet Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:35 am

Sounds like a good idea for a card game Sabre. You could have each card with a player and list age, weight, height, games, goals etc... You could have one player start off by picking a stat, (let's call it a trump).... I think you can work it out from there Very Happy Wink
Bobbafet
Bobbafet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum