R11 - Collingwood v Port & Adelaide v Saints

3 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Go down

R11 - Collingwood v Port & Adelaide v Saints Empty R11 - Collingwood v Port & Adelaide v Saints

Post by Gingernuts Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:23 pm

Both teams had solid victories last week and will be looking to build on them by chalking up another W again this week in very winnable games.

Collingwood has building towards some good form but got smashed on the injury front last week and therefore present as potential easy kill for a resurgent Port.

Speaking of easy kills, Adelaide also has a potential one, hosting the Saints on their home turf in the Sunday evening game.

Post away....

Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

R11 - Collingwood v Port & Adelaide v Saints Empty Re: R11 - Collingwood v Port & Adelaide v Saints

Post by Booney Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:44 am

Neither will be easy kills.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

R11 - Collingwood v Port & Adelaide v Saints Empty Re: R11 - Collingwood v Port & Adelaide v Saints

Post by Gingernuts Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:10 am

Booney wrote:Neither will be easy kills.

You may well be right Booney. Geelong have found out about 'easy kills' can become easy losses in the last couple of weeks.

Nevertheless I still reckon both teams will get up well this weekend.

One thing that I've been very happy about so far this season is that Adelaide are yet to drop a game to a side below them on the ladder. Here's hoping that continues this week. With Laird coming back in I can't see us losing to be honest - but I couldn't really see us winning last week so what would I know?? Haha.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:18 am

The Saints are plucky, but not capable of beating anyone genuine so yes, I agree you should beat them but I think of the bottom 6 they cause sides the most grief.

Port haven't got a good recent record at the G, but Collingwood have a make shift forward line, they might need to play some Cloke fellow?
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:21 am

Collingwood have a make shift forward line, which in a way is lucky for Port as they have a make shift defence at the moment too which is probably the main area of concern going into the game. Your midfield and attack are starting to fire a bit now.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:14 am

Collingwood v Port Adelaide –

Injuries took their toll on the Pies last weekend and an admirable effort for ¾’s was ultimately in vain as no rotations in the last ¼ left them struggling for run and the Dogs got on top. In the red centre many expected Port to fall short against the Demons, a convincing 45 point win to the Power and Melbourne backers wondering “Why did I?”.

With the front half decimated by injury the Pies may have to look to the $800k man, Trav Cloke to come in and help the big American in the F50. Leading goal kicker Fasolo is out with a broken collar bone, young gun Moore an AC, running man Adams a bad hamstring and throw in Broomhead and Elliott and the forward half is a make shift one at the Holden Centre. A big win over Brisbane gave them some confidence, a blistering start over the Cats and a solid half against the Dogs gave the appearance the Pies were back, injuries might just curtail that for the time being. Lots now falls on the midfielders to hit the scoreboard when they can and big Cox has a load to carry as the target forward of the ball.

Port lose another soldier with Jack Hombsch missing a couple with a hamstring strain, with several big bodies on the sidelines Port could hardly afford to lose another tall defender. Young Dougal Howard came in last week to support Trengove in the ruck and he might get the chance to be the #1 this weekend. Port have struggled in the middle with big men, ranking 17th for hit outs which means someone is doing worse in that area, yep, it’s Collingwood who rank 18th for hit outs. Points to Port at least being able to break even there, a nice change from recent weeks if we can. I expect Howard to ruck, Carlile to come in and Trengove and Carlile to be back together in the back half.

Port win more contested ball, more clearances, tackle more and actually win more hit out, but don’t particularly play the MCG well....winning 1 of the last 5. Ports midfield and forward pose a problem for the Pies here, Port by 19 points. ( Collingwood $2.05 Port $1.77 )

Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:16 am

Adelaide v St Kilda –

Big scalp for Adelaide last week taking on and beating the formidable GWS line up and I might add beating them pretty convincingly. St Kilda on the other hand came from nowhere to beat the Dockers kicking the last 8 goals after being 4 goals down midway through the third. Check the worm out on that one, not one you’ll see too often.

The Crows turned it on in front of their home fans last weekend, Captain Walker took the game by the scruff of the neck early and looked like his game could have been anything at ¼ time. His under sized opponent, Joel Patful, had no answers for Walkers ability to read the play and the delivery the midfield was offering him. Betts also threw in some of his tricks as the Adelaide midfield held their own and some against the slick runners of GWS. Adelaide made it a contested game to stop the outsider run of GWS and they did so by applying lots of heat to the “second” GWS player outside the contest. GWS won some in close, but they went nowhere after that. Talia excellent on Cameron, Cheney very good on Johnson, Sloane, Douglas and Thompson all stepped up the challenge.

They keep plugging away the Saints and it resulted in 4 points last week. Perhaps a bit to do with the Dockers and a bit to do with the Saints not stopping they bagged the last 8 majors to win by 34 points. Reiwoldt is having as good a time now as he did 10 years ago, 24 touches, 11 marks, 6 tackles and 2 goals. Excellent outing and he spent more time up through the midfield. Some big numbers from Steven and Armitage ( 17 tackles ) as the Saints turned the screws with 101 tackles for the match. ( comp avg is 69 ). Working hard defensively to give the forwards some chances. Only average 3 less I50’s per game than Adelaide, but they don’t have the Adelaide forward line.

Adelaide should be too good at home in the late Sunday fixture, rubbish timeslot for fans to get along to. Expect a pretty solid Adelaide win with Jenkins and Walker too much for the Saints to hold. Adelaide by 44. ( Adelaide $1.14 Saints $5.75 )
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:37 pm

Some good ins for Adelaide in the 25 man squad - Matt Crouch and Rory Laird. Laird will be a straight swap for van Berlo (who I never want to see in the AFL side again).

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:17 am

Brucetiki wrote:Some good ins for Adelaide in the 25 man squad - Matt Crouch and Rory Laird.  Laird will be a straight swap for van Berlo (who I never want to see in the AFL side again).

Yes, still puzzles me that selection. Surely it will be Laird for Van Berlo. Excited about having Laird back in this week, he creates so much of the play from the half back line with his elite kicking - has the ability to slice through an opposition zone with one kick. No doubt the Adelaide forwards will be happy to be leading out to him again on Sunday as well.

Some talk about Thompson being rested this week with Matt Crouch coming in to cover. I don't have a problem with that in itself - but sometimes the resting of players can be a red rag to the opposition and can get them fired up. St Kilda may be on the bottom half of the ladder but they have a superb coach and plenty of young talent. Very tricky getting player management right in this day and age - that said Adelaide have done a very good job of it so far this year.

Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:30 am

Adelaide have the bye the week after next, why "rest" him now?
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:50 am

Booney wrote:Adelaide have the bye the week after next, why "rest" him now?

Yea that was what I thought when I first heard it on the radio last night. It was Andrew Jarman so probably bullshit.

Wouldn't be surprised if we only see the one change, unless there's a particularly injury or 'sore spot' that means he needs a rest.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:55 am

Gingernuts wrote:
Booney wrote:Adelaide have the bye the week after next, why "rest" him now?

Yea that was what I thought when I first heard it on the radio last night. It was Andrew Jarman so probably bullshit.

Wouldn't be surprised if we only see the one change, unless there's a particularly injury or 'sore spot' that means he needs a rest.

He is the biggest dick head in the footballing media circus without question, Brian Taylor makes an admirable effort but just falls short.

There's two things nearly as bad as them, Dwayne Russell calling a Port game or Mark Riccuito calling an Adelaide game.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:10 am

Booney wrote:There's two things nearly as bad as them, Dwayne Russell calling a Port game or Mark Riccuito calling an Adelaide game.

Why do they do this??

Dwayne Russell is an awful commentator full stop, and as much as I love Roo, his special comments aren't particularly special at all.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:22 am

Gingernuts wrote:
Booney wrote:There's two things nearly as bad as them, Dwayne Russell calling a Port game or Mark Riccuito calling an Adelaide game.

Why do they do this??

Dwayne Russell is an awful commentator full stop, and as much as I love Roo, his special comments aren't particularly special at all.

I think Dwayne "sees" the game well but as soon as there's some action though...."LOOK OUT HERE WE GO IT'S GOING TO BE OVER THE TOP"

Ruccuito has somehow created a media career on the back of pig like grunts. How?

Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:30 am

Booney wrote:Ruccuito has somehow created a media career on the back of pig like grunts. How?

Laughing

I have no idea.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:46 am

Great little article on 'that' goal last week.
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/eddie-betts-and-that-goal-i-just-try-to-make-stuff-up-20160601-gp98ff.html

(I know you'll be straight onto reading that one Booney.....Haha)
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:55 pm

Gingernuts wrote:
Brucetiki wrote:Some good ins for Adelaide in the 25 man squad - Matt Crouch and Rory Laird.  Laird will be a straight swap for van Berlo (who I never want to see in the AFL side again).

Yes, still puzzles me that selection. Surely it will be Laird for Van Berlo. Excited about having Laird back in this week, he creates so much of the play from the half back line with his elite kicking - has the ability to slice through an opposition zone with one kick. No doubt the Adelaide forwards will be happy to be leading out to him again on Sunday as well.

Some talk about Thompson being rested this week with Matt Crouch coming in to cover. I don't have a problem with that in itself - but sometimes the resting of players can be a red rag to the opposition and can get them fired up. St Kilda may be on the bottom half of the ladder but they have a superb coach and plenty of young talent. Very tricky getting player management right in this day and age - that said Adelaide have done a very good job of it so far this year.

Squad trimmed - only the one change, Van Berlo for Laird.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down