Lee
Flag No.10
Gingernuts
Booney
UncleHuey
Chambo Off To Work We Go
11 posters

Go down

Dennis Commetti to retire at the end of 2016 Empty Dennis Commetti to retire at the end of 2016

Post by Gingernuts Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:32 pm

And so the only decent commentator left on free to air will be gone.

Footy won't be the same without him calling it!
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Dennis Commetti to retire at the end of 2016 Empty Re: Dennis Commetti to retire at the end of 2016

Post by Flag No.10 Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:56 pm

The only football commentator with genuine wit and a flair with the language.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Dennis Commetti to retire at the end of 2016 Empty Re: Dennis Commetti to retire at the end of 2016

Post by Booney Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:16 pm

He'll be missed, for sure.

One of the best, if not the best, in recent times.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:03 pm

I can't even think of another I'd prefer to listen to personally.

Bruce peaked at the 2000 Olympics and has been in rapid decline since.

Sandy Roberts is the only other, and unfortunately he's confined to Fox Footy so we don't get much of him at all.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:18 pm

I like Dennis.
He is entertaining, factual and doesn't make it all about him.

I think Bruce is much better talking about the game than commentating it. But that is my preference.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:36 pm

he might do a Sandy & end up on fox footy down the track, maybe just as a couch expert on one of the weekly shows
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:09 am

Commetti has become a little bit of a parody of himself, it seems he feels the need to hit the big gags each and every week, almost scripted at times.

He is one of the best, but C7 have teamed him up with some clowns recently which takes the edge off his good work at times.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:31 am

He's a class act, but I'm starting to go into panic mode at the thought of
WOWEE!!!! etc from the screaming, shouting, never a pause, Brian Taylor.

At least we'll be spared MON-FREEZE each week.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:26 am

Gingernuts wrote:
Sandy Roberts is the only other, and unfortunately he's confined to Fox Footy so we don't get much of him at all.

Oh please no, not Captain Obvious. All he does is regurgitate stats from the media guide and tell us what is already apparent on the screen. I never want to hear about another player who "turns and sets sail for home". i.e. kicks for goal.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:29 pm

Commetti will be missed. There is a wide gap between him and the rest of the pack.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:44 pm

Flag No.10 wrote:
Gingernuts wrote:

Oh please no, not Captain Obvious. All he does is regurgitate stats from the media guide and tell us what is already apparent on the screen. I never want to hear about another player who "turns and sets sail for home". i.e. kicks for goal.

I prefer that than the manufactured hype that most of the latest batch of commentators seem to think they have to bring.

I probably have a soft spot for Roberts as well as he provides the commentary to Adelaide's 2 flags and is a bit of a voice of my childhood/teenage years/90's football.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:03 pm

Gingernuts wrote:
Flag No.10 wrote:
Gingernuts wrote:

I prefer that than the manufactured hype that most of the latest batch of commentators seem to think they have to bring.

I probably have a soft spot for Roberts as well as he provides the commentary to Adelaide's 2 flags and is a bit of a voice of my childhood/teenage years/90's football.

Remarkable he's still alive.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:30 pm

It wasn't that long ago champ!
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:10 pm

Agreed about the overhype of the latest lot. Dwayne Russell's squealing is very offputting, and the casual dropping in of rehearsed lines is just as stomach-turning.
Gerard Whateley is pretty good to listen to.
Flag No.10

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:39 pm

Booney wrote:Commetti has become a little bit of a parody of himself, it seems he feels the need to hit the big gags each and every week, almost scripted at times.

He is one of the best, but C7 have teamed him up with some clowns recently which takes the edge off his good work at times.

with his son being a pro wrestler, Dennis loved using wrestling terms in his calls from time to time
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:13 pm

Booney wrote:
Gingernuts wrote:
Flag No.10 wrote:
Gingernuts wrote:

Remarkable he's still alive.

Nice one, Booney.

On Sandy Roberts - I have to defend him. I distinctly recall him nearly saying something not obvious in 2001.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:38 pm

who remembers the 'huge' mistake Sandy Roberts made when introducing 1981 Miss Australia Leanne Dick ? at the Mount Gambier Gold Cup presentation as Leanne (yep you guessed it) Cock
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:49 pm

Flag No.10 wrote:Gerard Whateley is pretty good to listen to.

He's the best in the business (certainly for talkback anyway) IMHO.

Anthony Hudson is a pretty decent caller.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:18 pm

I swear Dennis announced last year that 2016 was going to be his final season.

Hard to get excited over any AFL commentator these days. Most of the 'expert commentators' are the best ones like Barry Hall.

As for Sandy Roberts - has only ever been decent at calling tennis or golf, he's even cringeworthy when he's hosting which he usually is for 5 hours on a Saturday.

Clinton Grybas was by far away the best.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Hatchet Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:58 am

dennis is a big loss for commentary, will be hard to fill that gap. hoping some new callers or callers from other leagues start going through the afl ranks.
The Hatchet
The Hatchet

Back to top Go down

Post by William Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:32 am

Who is likely to take over from Dennis Commetti in 2017? would Jason bennett be a chance?
William
William

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down