bayman
RODH2
Paul
UncleHuey
9 posters

Go down

The Goodes, The Bad and The Ugly Empty The Goodes, The Bad and The Ugly

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:25 am

An interesting article in the paper about the Adam Goodes booing issue. I find that I tend to agree with the article.
Some media sections are putting together "Goodes" and the "booing" as a mandatory evidence of racism. I think the article does say a lot how issues like this with several parts can become distorted and influenced by sections of the media and the community.

"THE reaction to the booing of Adam Goodes has been nothing short of histrionic and breathtakingly dense.

It takes a special brand of weapons-grade stupidity to condemn footy crowds as racist for jeering a player who happens to be Aboriginal.

But that is precisely what has happened, with some media commentators displaying a level of imbecility that leaves you wondering how they dress themselves in the morning.

Never mind Stop the Boats, these precious souls demand that crowds Stop the Boos.

Of course racism has no place in football and the AFL has been rightly applauded for leading the way in stamping out racial slurs from the game, from players and fans alike.

There are 71 Aboriginal players in the AFL; only one is routinely booed and it has nothing to do with the colour of his skin.

These days any idiot in the crowd who yells out a racist slur is set upon by other fans, reported to authorities and promptly ejected. Some have had memberships cancelled by their club, and rightly so; there should be a zero tolerance approach to bigotry whether it’s racial, religious or homophobic.

But to muddy the waters between the tiniest racist minority and the thousands of fans who boo Goodes is not only disingenuous, it is counterproductive.

There’s no doubt that part of the reason why Goodes has continued to be loudly booed is a backlash to the hectoring of media scribes who from day one wilfully misinterpreted why the former Australian of the Year is disliked by so many opposition supporters.

Turns out football supporters don’t appreciate being falsely labelled racists.

Sadly, the ill-advised reaction of certain sections of the media, as well as club and AFL officials, has all but guaranteed that Goodes will be booed, in every away game, for the rest of his playing career and perhaps even during the retiree lap of honour on Grand Final day.

Eager to portray any criticism of Goodes as racist, some have ignored the reality of why Goodes polarises and antagonises, and it’s not just about staging for free kicks or being a “sook”.

The failure of some to understand why Goodes is disliked leads them to conclude that it must be about race.

Their lack of insight and intellect means innocent footy supporters are branded bigots.

The desperation to inject racism into the debate ignores the fact that indigenous players are often the most loved and celebrated players. The same Hawthorn fans who were condemned for booing Goodes wet themselves with excitement whenever Cyril Rioli gets near the ball.

The West Coast fans at the centre of the latest controversy have five Aboriginal players on their list as well as crowd favourite Nic Naitanui, whose heritage is Fijian. And yet thousands of them have been called racist because one moron yelled out “get back to the zoo”.

Some see the spear-throwing antics of Goodes and Lewis Jetta as intimidating and adding fuel to the fire; I disagree. The interaction with the crowd is pure theatre. But let’s get one thing straight; there is no historical cultural significance to the so-called “war cry” Goodes and Jetta performed; it was invented a few short years ago and to compare it with the haka is laughable.

Those keen to portray fans as racist tend to be miserable self-loathing Leftists who see Australia as some backward, xenophobic corner of the world. Goodes being booed is just another reason to slam their country as racist. The truth is immaterial.

A POLL THAT IS RUNNING ON THIS:
Do you think the booing of Adam Goodes is racially motivated?
Yes  22.89%  (1,255 votes)
No  77.11%  (4,228 votes)
Total Votes: 5,483

The victimhood brigade won’t be satisfied unless Goodes is seen as a casualty of Australia’s seething racism.

Yet it is clear Goodes’ conduct as Australian of the Year — and the saga involving a naive 13-year-old who’d unknowingly uttered a racial slur — has a great deal to do with the animosity aimed his way.

Goodes’ comments advising Australians to “remember whose lands you are on”, and his consistent bagging of the country that had given him such a high honour, rubbed many the wrong way; a point many scribes penning pained feel-pieces fail to acknowledge.

Incredibly, some commentators believe that if you disagree with Goodes’ methods in advancing race relations then you are racist.

It might be instructive for the hypersensitive to look up the definition of racism before they throw the term around.

Disagreeing with Goodes’ stance on “Invasion Day” doesn’t make you a racist. Finding Goodes’ tactics as Australian of the Year divisive and troublesome doesn’t make you a racist. Demanding that Goodes be treated differently and be considered above criticism because he is Aboriginal, funnily enough, does make you a racist.

And, like all racists, it makes you pretty dim.

But no one can question Goodes’ contribution to the game.

It would be wonderful if the dual Brownlow medallist could retire to a standing ovation and thunderous applause on Grand Final day, whether he is playing or doing a lap of honour. It’s certainly what Goodes deserves after an outstanding playing career.

rita.panahi@news.com.au
"
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

The Goodes, The Bad and The Ugly Empty Re: The Goodes, The Bad and The Ugly

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:00 am

There are other media articles on this too. Some "for" and some "against".

Perhaps it boils down to whether you like or dislike the way Goodes is delivering his message. I would doubt that the message itself is why he is booed.

But if you dislike his manner of delivery, does that make you racist?

To be honest, I am unsure what the term "racist" is intended to mean in how it is being interpreted in this discussion.

Let's look at another analogy on this sort of mutual inclusivity in the media.

On TV a few weeks ago, a mother walked through and airport breast-feeding her baby. The people who commented that it was not appropriate to do that, were labelled sexist. However, it is perhaps not the activity they objected to, but more the appropriateness of doing it in that manner. Is it safe for a start? Do you often eat lunch on the run? Literally.

The concern I have is that sections of the media tend to put manifestations of an issue together to label people as anti-this or anti-that or bigots. But the real deal is that not everything done in the name of a particular minority interest group is done in a fitting manner.

Similarly, the Church's stance on same sex marriage. Is their belief it isn't marriage by definition, make them discriminatory? Possibly in a legal sense yes. But you have here a tenet that is at the core of their value system. The media have attacked various church spokesmen for putting their view on this across. But they fail to understand this value system's importance to the church on this subject in its long history.

We just seem as a society to be streamlined (mainly by the media and politicians) into accepting versions of the true issue that they want to use for some other motive.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:11 am

"Those keen to portray fans as racist tend to be miserable self-loathing Leftists who see Australia as some backward, xenophobic corner of the world."

It takes a special kind of journalist to discredit a generalisation with a generalisation.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:43 pm

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:There are other media articles on this too. Some "for" and some "against".

Perhaps it boils down to whether you like or dislike the way Goodes is delivering his message. I would doubt that the message itself is why he is booed.

But if you dislike his manner of delivery, does that make you racist?

To be honest, I am unsure what the term "racist" is intended to mean in how it is being interpreted in this discussion.

Let's look at another analogy on this sort of mutual inclusivity in the media.

On TV a few weeks ago, a mother walked through and airport breast-feeding her baby. The people who commented that it was not appropriate to do that, were labelled sexist. However, it is perhaps not the activity they objected to, but more the appropriateness of doing it in that manner. Is it safe for a start? Do you often eat lunch on the run? Literally.

The concern I have is that sections of the media tend to put manifestations of an issue together to label people as anti-this or anti-that or bigots. But the real deal is that not everything done in the name of a particular minority interest group is done in a fitting manner.

Similarly, the Church's stance on same sex marriage. Is their belief it isn't marriage by definition, make them discriminatory? Possibly in a legal sense yes. But you have here a tenet that is at the core of their value system. The media have attacked various church spokesmen for putting their view on this across. But they fail to understand this value system's importance to the church on this subject in its long history.

We just seem as a society to be streamlined (mainly by the media and politicians) into accepting versions of the true issue that they want to use for some other motive.

there is a very vocal minority who seem to ready to take offence at anything that is not politically correct. And if they are not personally offended they take offence on behalf of someone else who theoretically ,almost certainly, may perhaps, be offended.

When the only way to express this perceived offence was to write a letter to the editor and hope it would be published, this pseudo outrage didn't seem to exist. Perhaps that letter writing requires a methodical reasoned approach they worked out that they didn't have anything to complain about. Now that everyone can twitter and post on the internet, they have all become keyboard warriors in 140 characters or less and get instantly outraged.

The airport breast feeding incident is a classic example. It was all about a mothers right to breast feed and anyone who criticised was a misogynist sexist. That the real issue was whether it was safe to do so couldn't be asked. If mum had tripped over and bubs was caught between falling mum and a tile floor the consequences could have been dire, yet this either not asked or ignored in the shrill rush to condemn the man who mentioned the incident in the first place.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:46 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:"Those keen to portray fans as racist tend to be miserable self-loathing Leftists who see Australia as some backward, xenophobic corner of the world."

It takes a special kind of journalist to discredit a generalisation with a generalisation.

Never, ever generalise! Smile

Is it me and my advancing age and grumpiness at the world. or do the papers now seem devoid of news portraying facts and events but full of opinion pieces telling me how I should think and feel.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:25 pm

Umpires have been booed for 150 years

AFC encourage the 19th man to boo opposition players when they line up for goal

Tippett (if he plays) will be booed

Goodes is a sook
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by RODH2 Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:05 pm

Flag No.9 wrote:"Those keen to portray fans as racist tend to be miserable self-loathing Leftists who see Australia as some backward, xenophobic corner of the world."

Indeed! LOL!
RODH2
RODH2

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:33 pm

Adam quite rightly is against racism as most of us are, he's been man enough to make an issue when needed including the young girl in Melbourne a year or so ago, maybe that young impressionable girl should have been left alone rather than giving her the embarrassment of what happened, yes i presume she learnt a lesson though, with the booing i think it all started when Adam opted to do the 'spear dance' when celebrating a goal earlier in the season, some people would just laugh at it, some would think it is racism in reverse (still racism) & personally i think he went too far with that as it could be seen as a form of racism & although i wouldn't boo him i understand why he is getting booed, if any person from any part of the world wants to do something on a sporting field from his culture, it should be done pre game just like the Kiwis do with 'The Haka'
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:38 pm

Personally I think the AFL are up their eye teeth in blame for the hysteria that has been created over this whole issue. What kind of an idiot is Gillon Mclauchlan to come out and let people know that the 'booing' is putting Goodes off his game? Is that not total and utter incitement for people to ramp it right up and cheer their side on to victory?

The concern that I held after the incident with the young lady that was thrown out of the football game was the fact that she was 12 years old and suddenly placed under the media spotlight. There was to me a real danger that she could well self harm or worse in that situation. I think the AFL were wrong to place a 12 year old girl in that situation once they became aware of her age. Having Adam Goodes in the media calling her 'the face of racism' was also unwise IMO and could have been handled in a lot better manner irrespective of who was right and who was wrong.

What really annoys me is that the threw a chap out for yelling "Go back to the Zoo". Yet when I have been at AFL matches and people scream the F or the C word or alternatively blaspheme which some people consider even more offensive, that is given a free pass....

I think the AFL might want to have a look at the SANFL and how we run the family friendly area and look at how they might incorporate the same area into more bays at the AFL venues. Or alternatively try and have one rule for all people irrespective of what the abusive insult is or the skin colour of the person saying it.

Its great that 71 indigenous people play AFL, yet why is it that no Vietnamese people play AFL? Perhaps more needs to be done to make AFL a sport that encompasses all people in Australia irrespective of where they come from? I feel that is more of an issue at play as opposed to the current saga.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:09 pm

If I was boo-ing Adam Goodes for reasons other than racism, e.g. I didn't like him, didn't like the way he stages for frees, didn't like what he said when he was Australian of the Year, I'd pretty quickly stop boo-ing when I got the sense that it might be coming across as racist. That doesn't seem to be happening.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:31 am

If Goodes had come out a month ago and said "I take it as a compliment, people only boo the best players. It doesn't bother me one bit".....I bet it would have stopped.

You let bullies / small minded people know that they are winning, they'll keep playing the little game. Show them they're losing, they'll go play somewhere else.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:57 am

I have been watching and reading quite a bit on this issue over the last week and it is interesting how divided everyone is on it.

Either for Adam in the face of his detractors, or against in saying that they think he should just stop and consider how he is delivering his message.

My opinion is that he should be aware that some people do not like the way he is delivering that message and he should consider it. I think it is not the message itself per se that any one objects to.

Perhaps the most decisive form of that objection is the booing. After all footy is an emotional game and fans will articulate their objection in the most simple way possible.

My objection is not what Goodes' message is, nor how he is delivering it. I can take all of that just fine - spear dances included.

What I object to is media / afl et al basically saying if you boo (or criticise) him, then you are racist.

A female friend of mine went into bat for Goodes on Facebook yesterday, basically alleging the above. I responded by saying, if (hypothetically), I criticised her message, does that make me sexist? It is the same analogy that they are all using.

Please! Rolling Eyes
Are we that brainwashed these days that we cannot separate the 2 issues?
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:18 am

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:What I object to is media / afl et al basically saying if you boo (or criticise) him, then you are racist.

I could not agree more, the 'race card' is often pulled out when somone is losing an argument. I find that highly offensive also.

What made me shake my head in disbelief was the number of people that added the tagline or wore a shirt that said "We are Charlie" after the Charlie Headbo massacre. When in fact those people are often the same people that work towards shutting down the freedom of speech that Charlie Headbo have in writing their columns and cartoons, often with the addition of the race card into the discussion.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:42 am

Chambo Off To Work We Go wrote:I have been watching and reading quite a bit on this issue over the last week and it is interesting how divided everyone is on it.

Either for Adam in the face of his detractors, or against in saying that they think he should just stop and consider how he is delivering his message.

My opinion is that he should be aware that some people do not like the way he is delivering that message and he should consider it. I think it is not the message itself per se that any one objects to.

Perhaps the most decisive form of that objection is the booing. After all footy is an emotional game and fans will articulate their objection in the most simple way possible.

My objection is not what Goodes' message is, nor how he is delivering it. I can take all of that just fine - spear dances included.

What I object to is media / afl et al basically saying if you boo (or criticise) him, then you are racist.

A female friend of mine went into bat for Goodes on Facebook yesterday, basically alleging the above. I responded by saying, if (hypothetically), I criticised her message, does that make me sexist? It is the same analogy that they are all using.

Please! Rolling Eyes
Are we that brainwashed these days that we cannot separate the 2 issues?

By using sport as a platform to make political statements the issue has been confused without any of our doing.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:21 pm

Should faux spear thowing towards 'white' people be seen as an act of racist intent, does doing that inflame and pour fuel on the situation? Governor Arthur Phillip was speared in the shoulder and nearly died at Manly Beach in 1790. Is that what the faux spear throwing is meant to be about?
Ben W
Ben W

Back to top Go down

Post by columbo Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:32 pm

Booney wrote:If Goodes had come out a month ago and said "I take it as a compliment, people only boo the best players. It doesn't bother me one bit".....I bet it would have stopped.

You let bullies / small minded people know that they are winning, they'll keep playing the little game. Show them they're losing, they'll go play somewhere else.

Said basically the same thing to some people at work the other day, think it will get worse before it gets better. By not playing the bullies (although i'm not sure thats the right word) win, like kids in a schoolyard.

I don't like or dislike the guy but getting sick of hearing about him, this is becomming a media circus now, and the AFL seem to be making it worse and now the pollies are jumping on the wagon. expect he will have political heavies bashing on his door to get him on their team once he retires from footy.
columbo
columbo

Teams : Eagles, North Melbourne
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down