R14 - Sydney v Port & Adelaide v Geelong

5 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Go down

R14 - Sydney v Port & Adelaide v Geelong Empty R14 - Sydney v Port & Adelaide v Geelong

Post by Gingernuts Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:03 pm

A couple of intriguing games this weekend for local sides.

First up Port have an away Thursday night clash with Sydney. Port will be fresh after the bye and will be hoping that the break has delivered some answers to their terrible form.

Sydney are travelling quite well by contrast - however could be without both their Bondi Billionaires due to indiscretions in last weeks game. Buddy Franklin in particular will surely have a rest for a week or two for his effort.

Adelaide are coming of probably the most unconvincing win you will ever see. They were a shambles, and once again it comes back to terrible disposal efficiency. Geelong have hardly been convincing either - they will be fresh from the bye but are coming of a home loss against the 18th side. This one really could go either way, it all depends on what version of Adelaide and what version of Geelong turn up.

Discuss away....
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

R14 - Sydney v Port & Adelaide v Geelong Empty Re: R14 - Sydney v Port & Adelaide v Geelong

Post by Paul Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:57 pm

Geelong won't win twice in Adelaide inside 3 weeks.
A game Adelaide must win. All very well just winning away against crap sides but we must win at home against an at least middle of the road side. A must win this week.

Port a chance. Wouldn't think Sydney would lose 2 in a row at home but does depend on the tribunal outcome. Love to see Port win. Dislike Sydney more. Rolling Eyes
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

R14 - Sydney v Port & Adelaide v Geelong Empty Re: R14 - Sydney v Port & Adelaide v Geelong

Post by Gingernuts Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:07 pm

A very good point about Adelaide needing to win a home game. They have dropped too many matches at home this season so far - in fact I don't think I've witnessed a win live (missed the first game)! Granted they've lost to Port, Freo & the Hawks, all quality sides - but they were in a position to win all of those games only to let themselves down with poor disposal and poor finishing in front of goal.

Massive game, and as you say an absolute must win. I'll be babysitting the kids and sending the missus, so they'll definitely get up. Haha.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:54 pm

Next 3 crucial for Adelaide actually.

We've got Geelong, Port & West Coast. Win 2, finals beckon, win 1 maybe, lose all 3 and we're in for a quiet September for the 3rd year in a row.

Interestingly enough Adelaide have never gone more than 2 seasons without playing finals. I hope this record continues.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:29 pm

Tippett and Franklin get one week suspension each....Really?

While Martin get 3>2 for his hit on Luke Brown?

Lance Franklin, Sydney Swans, has been charged with charged with engaging in rough conduct against Shane Edwards, Richmond, during the second quarter of the Round 13 match between the Sydney Swans and Richmond, played at the SCG on Friday June 26, 2015.

In summary, he can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Richmond Football Club, it was the view of the panel the incident should be classified as careless conduct with medium impact to the head. This offence was classified as a two-match sanction. The player has no applicable bad record. An early plea can reduce the penalty to a one-match sanction.

Kurt Tippett, Sydney Swans, has been charged with charged with striking Dylan Grimes, Richmond, during the third quarter of the Round 13 match between the Sydney Swans and Richmond, played at the SCG on Friday June 26, 2015.

In summary, he can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Richmond Football Club, it was the view of the panel the incident should be classified as careless conduct with medium impact to the head. This offence was classified as a two-match sanction. The player has no applicable bad record. An early plea can reduce the penalty to a one-match sanction.

Stefan Martin, Brisbane Lions, has been charged with charged with striking with an elbow to the throat of Luke Brown, Adelaide Crows, during the second quarter of the Round 13 match between the Brisbane Lions and the Adelaide Crows, played at the Gabba on Saturday June 27, 2015.

In summary, he can accept a two-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Adelaide Crows Football Club, it was the view of the panel the incident should be classified as intentional conduct with medium impact to the head/neck. The offence was classified as a three-match sanction. The player has no applicable bad record. An early plea can reduce the penalty to a two-match sanction.

Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:04 pm

Franklin lucky. Wasn't even looking at the ball.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:15 am

I have to say that I am very much a fan of Thu night footy matches on Foxtel and think its a good thing that the AFL should do more of. Port vs Sydney should be a cracking match to watch this week. Port are due for a good win over the Swans and I think it will be this week.

As for Geelong and the Crows, both evenly matched sides, I think Geelong want it more and will win it accordingly this week, Adelaide cannot allow Geelong to get in front with the expectation that they can reel them in as the match goes on.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:49 pm

Ben W wrote: As for Geelong and the Crows, both evenly matched sides, I think Geelong want it more and will win it accordingly this week, Adelaide cannot allow Geelong to get in front with the expectation that they can reel them in as the match goes on.

The slow starts have really hurt Adelaide this year, catch up footy really is the hard way to do things.

The need to get it sorted, especially at home where they need to get the 50 000+ fans into the game from the start.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:43 am

The return to a full round kicks off with the Swans hosting Port Adelaide in the Harbour City. The Swans looked home and hosed at half time last week against the Tigers and then things went downhill quick. Buddy ran over the ball and collected Edwards with the umpire taking Bud’s number right away, he was rarely sighted after that. Then the only tough bone in big Tippo’s body got lost in one of his ever present uncoordinated marking/spoiling attempts and he too had his number taken by the men in orange. Needless to say, like his last 40 games, he was hardly sighted after that.

From that point the Tigers ( who, granted, can attack with the best of them at the moment ) took control of the Swans midfield and out tackled, out ran and ultimately pressured Sydney into coughing the ball up and scored heavily from it. Was very un-Sydney like in the second half, but, as noted, the two key forwards went missing after half time. In the stands the 2005 Premiership reunion would have watched on wondering where the “Bloods” of old spirit was, well, it wasn’t in Sydney on Friday night.The MRP has given them both a seriously lucky break, Buddy got off very light with a one week suspension and Tippo was perhaps also a little lucky to just get the week off.

Port had the weekend off with the split round coming at a good time for Port fans, a weekend not worrying how bad we were going to look this time. With the two big Sydney boys out and Port welcoming back Ryder to the side Port look likely to have an edge over the Swans in the ruck with Lobbe and Ryder set to take on the returning Myke Pyke in the centre square battles. He’ll be supported by 199cm debutant Nankervis who comes in to aid the Sawns in the aerial tussles. Derickx has been dropped to go with Blicavs as being guests at a primary school spelling competition. The Swans will need to find a forward target and forward come defender Sam Reid might be back forward again. He’ll be about as confused as a Motoring Enthusiast Party Member deciphering a bill before the senate. Hi Ricky.

Port have been terrible with ball in hand this year, skills under pressure and skills when not under pressure, quite damningly, haven’t looked much different. The Swans don’t like losing two in a row, they’ve lost their two key forwards, only had a 5 day break and Port are coming off the weekend off. Port will again be looking for a lift from Westhoff and Schulz in the F50 to aid the very much in form Chad Wingard.

Everyone in the football world will pick Sydney, with good reason. A case could be mounted for Port to get close, hard to mount a case for them to win. Sydney by 17 points.

Sunday afternoon at Adelaide Oval shapes as an excellent contest. Adelaide are in the 8, Geelong are a game out. Both sides will see this one as the old (but not true) 8 point game.

In a true reflection of them both being middle of the road sides at the moment, both are middle of the road for average possessions, average tackles and hit outs. One averages 13.3 goals per game the other 13.2 with the biggest difference being ball use.

Adelaide rank 17th for effective disposal and because of this they rank second for contested possession. They keep cocking up by hand and foot making it difficult to move the ball forward with any purpose and the form of their three key forwards reflect this. Betts has been the most consistent while key big men Walker and Jenkins must spend as much time running around in circles as a dog on it’s own tail. They lead up to the ball carrier only to see a fluffed kick go nowhere near them, they double back to goal to set up and again and repeat to fade....tough gig in the Adelaide forward line and they somehow fell over the line against the Bears last week despite never looking like winning. Rory Sloane suffering another fracture to his cheek bone and Brad Crouch hurting his foot at SANFL level means Adelaide will be without two of their prime movers in the midfield for several weeks. I think that will seriously dent their finals ambitions.

Geelong would have spent the bye kicking themselves for letting a home game to Melbourne slip them and more so letting down club great Boris Enright in his 300th game by dishing up a stinker. Blicavs just keeps getting better, the Melbourne game stats are remarkable. 22 touches @ 77%, 25 hit outs, 6 clearances and 13 tackles. For a bloke who spent his teenage years running around a track he has certainly taken to the “1%er” side of football. He likes the contest and taking on the opposition bodies with his big frame and it wouldn’t surprise to see him given a big task this week and run with Dangerfield. Would be an enthralling contest, Blicavs take the ruck taps and then follow/run with Dangerfield.

There’s a couple of words we hardly hear enough about in Adelaide at the moment, Dangerfield and contract.

Geelong came here a month back and beat Port on the Friday night, I think they might make it back to back wins in Adelaide on the back of a disappointing effort at home last outing before the bye. Geelong by 22 points.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:03 am

Excellent write up again Booney.

I have to agree on both tips as well (unfortunately). I can't see either Adelaide based side getting up this weekend.

Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:25 pm

I'll back them both to win.

Port will win tonight. Keep changing my mind on Adelaide but maybe just.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:36 pm

Adelaide v Geelong match has been cancelled and points to be split, in light of the passing of Walsh

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down