R7 - Adelaide v St Kilda & Brisbane v Port

2 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Go down

R7 - Adelaide v St Kilda & Brisbane v Port Empty R7 - Adelaide v St Kilda & Brisbane v Port

Post by Gingernuts Tue May 12, 2015 9:44 am

Cracking into Round 7 and both sides are having some interesting times.

Adelaide take on the Saints on Saturday night and will have to do so without Sloane, who joins the ever growing injury list at West Lakes.

Port will be looking to respond up in Brisbane on Sunday after their shock loss at home against West Coast last round.

Discuss away.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

R7 - Adelaide v St Kilda & Brisbane v Port Empty Re: R7 - Adelaide v St Kilda & Brisbane v Port

Post by Gingernuts Tue May 12, 2015 9:52 am

I think Adelaide might be in for a tough hit out this week.

The Sloane injury is a massive blow to their midfield which is already missing Douglas and B. Crouch.

The defence continues to be a big concern, although you can't fault the efforts of the current back six considering their limitations in experience and size.

On the flip side, Adelaide are sitting 4-2 and 5th on the ladder, so they are still getting the job done despite the challenges which is encouraging. At times it hasn't been pretty, but ultimately 4 points is 4 points and so far the W/L is about par with expectations.

I'm looking forward to this game, particularly how the young midfield talent responds to fill the void left by Sloane. Kerridge will come in this week, and Grigg impressed last week in what was a rare full game for him. M Crouch did enough to shed the subs vest for a full game this week too IMO.

I expect Adelaide to get up by about 5 goals in the end.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

R7 - Adelaide v St Kilda & Brisbane v Port Empty Re: R7 - Adelaide v St Kilda & Brisbane v Port

Post by Scrunch Tue May 12, 2015 11:05 am

This game for Adelaide has a similar feeling to when they played Melbourne last season. I expect they'll get up, but don't think they're certainties.

Port should win, and win well
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon May 18, 2015 9:46 am

Sent the missus down to the game on Saturday and stayed home and watched the game on TV while looking after the kids, and I must say I quite liked what I saw.

There is still a long way to go for Adelaide don't get me wrong, but there's some really good signs at the same time.

Eddie Betts is in career best form and relishing the freedom that Walsh has given him. Every time he goes near the pill he makes something happen, and the pinch hitting in the midfield is delivering some great results as well. I'm loving the way he is also taking big grabs and playing as a lead up forward as well, not just relying on the crumbs as most small forward do.

I said it last week and I'll say it again, the defence oozes potential. Lever & Kelly are quality and while they are too light on for the one on one contest at the moment (Lever got done several times), once they beef up a bit will be perfect key position companions Talia. Lever's attack on the footy in the first term where he just laid a Saint (can't remember who) on his backside was superb. Laird & Brown continue to produce also.

Some more injury concerns with Jaensch & Smith, but we seem to be covering them at the moment.

A lot being said about Adelaide's unconvincing style and their injury list - but they still keep chalking up the wins every week.

Unlike our friends down the road. Just what exactly is happening down there at the moment? 2 defeats in a row against opponents they should have beaten comfortably. Worrying signs for Hinkley and co.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Mon May 18, 2015 10:45 am

The biggest concern I would have if I were an Adelaide supporter, is their inability to handle manic pressure. St Kilda weren't good enough to sustain it, but when they did it early in the game a lot of Adelaide players either got caught or panicked and it lead to turnover. The better teams WILL be able to dish that pressure up for longer periods. The Crows certainly missed Sloane, and in his absence I thought Dangerfield might have a big game, but I didn't think he was that impressive. The Crows continue to be a work in progress, which realistically is where they are at anyway.

Port, well something isn't right there. Ryder was brought in to free up Westoff, but neither of them are playing at all well. It's certainly taking longer than expected. Port desperately miss Wines and the Polec of 2014. Mitchell, O'Shea, Cornes and Pittard I don't think can all play in the same team. Pittard is down on form in terms of his disposal, but I think he needs to be persisted with, because he sets them up so well when on song. Krakeour was good back there and rarely misses a target, but went missing a bit in the 3rd.

Yesterday's game also showed how underrated outside of Alberton, Carlisle is.

I think Port will turn it around, there's too much talent not too, but they're starting to leave a top 4 run a bit late.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon May 18, 2015 2:00 pm

Yea you've probably hit the nail on the head there with your point on Adelaide's in-ability to handle pressure.

As you said though, they are a work in progress and I think the pleasing think is they are at least performing to external expectations at the moment.

They have a huge test ahead of them in GWS away this week. If we manage to jag the points I will be super stoked.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down