F.I.G.J.A.M and F.I.N.G.J.A.M Cricket

5 posters

Go down

F.I.G.J.A.M and  F.I.N.G.J.A.M Cricket Empty F.I.G.J.A.M and F.I.N.G.J.A.M Cricket

Post by Scrappy Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:29 am

Some of the most entertaining cricket yarns are when cricketers brag about themselves
They brag about the great things they have done
Some like to yarn about the poor things they have done

Dont waste these yarns in the pubs , years and decades after
Bring it on , post the best and worst you or others have perpetuated on the cricket field
F.I.G.J.A.M is self explanatory
F.I.N.G.J.A.M.is not
The N stands simply for NO
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

F.I.G.J.A.M and  F.I.N.G.J.A.M Cricket Empty Re: F.I.G.J.A.M and F.I.N.G.J.A.M Cricket

Post by Scrappy Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:09 am

Dropped catch
Nothing worse than dropping a catch in a final , especially if you were a good catcher like Figscrappy

I was at mid off in a finals game , opposition batted first
The batter tried an off drive , mistimed it and it floated to me
A dolly
For some inexplicable reason I tried clasping the ball on my chest with the ball between my chest and hands
Off course I dropped it , and a sore chest for the rest of the game
But we won by 1 wicket , it was all part of the plan ...
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

F.I.G.J.A.M and  F.I.N.G.J.A.M Cricket Empty Re: F.I.G.J.A.M and F.I.N.G.J.A.M Cricket

Post by Booney Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:15 am

Figjam - Making 124 before tea ( 60 over game ) getting out in the 24th over. RR 5.16 per over on my own. Against Wayne and Allan Stringer.
Taking 5/5 bowling leg spin ( they were turning! ) at Wingfield Oval. Bowl them all out for 54. I get 40 in about 5 overs opening the batting, we were finished by tea on day 1.

Fingjam - 200th game for the club. In good form with bat and ball. 300+ runs and 25+ wickets for the season. 200th game last game of the minor round, we needed to win to make finals, I'm captain. Smash the first ball I face, a full toss, to point who never see's a stitch of it coming at him and he takes it. Golden duck.

Open the bowling, 0/63 off 13 over. We lose by 1 wicket. Oh the memories / pain.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:17 am

( From the other thread, more appropriate here )

Adelaide Airport Oval ( now the Ikea site ) playing for Western Youth Centre against the Airport Oval based (?) Norwood ANA.

They finish 2nd end of minor round, us third. We have two excellent contests during the year.

Come the semi-final they win the toss, on their home deck and bat. They end up with around 240 off from memory and bat all day on the Saturday.

Although 240 in a final is lots, we felt we had the line-up to take it too them.

I was well clear in the batting trophy for our side that year, the pressure was on to keep scoring as the opener. I had over 300 runs in about 6 games in that grade.

First over of the day I knock one through point for 4. Next ball a crisp drive through cover for 4. End of the first over. WYCCC 0/8.

An early single in the next over, 0/9 and I'm back on strike.

Nick one to slip, he juggles it and second slip takes it off him. 1/9.

So 1.2 overs, 1/9.

At the end of the 6th over we are all out for 16.

The bowler who got me ended up with 6/8.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:30 am

Just returned form O/S and played a match against Port Districts
They batted first
I bowled an over  and had both players dropped in my first over
I bowled 3 overs
18 balls
0/67
One of the greatest FINGJAM bowling performances ever seen
Both batsmen made tons
Some of the Port boys jocularly ribbed me after the game
I copped it sweet at the club that night

Next week we were chasing almost 400
I batted 4
We slumped to about 6/30 on day 2
They were sensing an outright
I batted well , real well in fact, against a superior team

I played a pull shot that rocketed to the boundary
A couple of the opposition players start clapping me
I'm thinking what a nice guesture
Until the keeper says: " Well batted you are now 1 run in credit."
I was on 68
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:34 am

Booney wrote:( From the other thread, more appropriate here )

Adelaide Airport Oval ( now the Ikea site ) playing for Western Youth Centre against the Airport Oval based (?) Norwood ANA.

They finish 2nd end of minor round, us third. We have two excellent contests during the year.

Come the semi-final they win the toss, on their home deck and bat. They end up with around 240 off from memory and bat all day on the Saturday.

Although 240 in a final is lots, we felt we had the line-up to take it too them.

I was well clear in the batting trophy for our side that year, the pressure was on to keep scoring as the opener. I had over 300 runs in about 6 games in that grade.

First over of the day I knock one through point for 4. Next ball a crisp drive through cover for 4. End of the first over. WYCCC 0/8.

So 1.2 overs, 1/9.

You made 56.25 % of the runs for your team
So is this FIGJAM or FINGJAM ?
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:37 am

FIGJAM:

Stumping an opener leg side off the first ball of the second over of the innings off the quick.

Catching the first 5 wickets to fall with the gloves, then taking 3 wickets with the ball after a big partnership.

42 dismissals in a season, consisting of 18 catches and 24 stumpings!

Having a season in B Grade late in my time where I started poorly with the bat, but for the first and only time in a season, scored more than the previous innings each time I batted.

Yes, finished with my one and only hundred.

FINGJAM

Batting against Roger Luders at Immanuel.  Roger could have played State cricket, I reckon.  Beautiful run up abd action, very quick, just a classic fast bowler.  I lasted 4 balls.  Play and miss, french cut off a cover drive for 2, hit plumb in front, given not out, hit plumb in front, given out.

Playing against Richmond at Richmond Oval in A2 the last year of the turf wicket there.  They made about 240, we had about 30 minutes to bat.  I was listed at 5, but thought I'd better do the captain's thing and bat 3 if we lst a wicket.

Players said to me, 'how come you're in at 3?".

I told them there were times when the captain had to stand up.

Bowled 2nd ball.  I still remember the bowler "Stinger" Nettle.

Batting aginst Gavin Luders on a 'sticky' at Immanuel.

Missed hook, fractured nose and cheekbone, fell on the stumps, blood everywhere on the crease.  Believe it or not, while I was waiting for someone to take me to hospital, the umpire came up to me and told me he'd given me 'Not Out'  Very Happy

Made all the difference  Rolling Eyes

Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:52 am

Roger Luders played at WYCCC IIRC, along with Simon Byrne ( Bear, he was fast, seriously fast off about a 5 step run up), Greg Mellor ( Youngster was a sound all round cricketer, left arm swing bowler with some pace and sound batsman ), Tony Modra ( In the season just before he shot to AFL fame, he was a prodigious hitter of the ball and crafty medium/quick swing bowler. Batting at the Burbridge Rd end of WYC he hit a ball at training back over the bowlers head, over the tennis courts, OVER THE ROAD into the front yard of the house ways away.)

WYCCC has had a long association with Westies.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:53 am

Scrappy wrote:

So 1.2 overs, 1/9.

I made 8 ( the other opener got the single ) so 50% of the team score....with two shots....off 7 balls.

FIGJAM but F-my team was no good-JAM. Very Happy
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:57 am

Booney v Scrappy
This has been documented in cricket rooms in various sites
Booney faced an over of off spin from myself
6 balls
1 run on the last ball, and inside edge

Booneys career strike rate against Scrappy is therefore 16.66

Regards
FigScrappy
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:00 pm

Booney wrote:Roger Luders played at WYCCC IIRC, along with Simon Byrne ( Bear, he was fast, seriously fast off about a 5 step run up), Greg Mellor ( Youngster was a sound all round cricketer, left arm swing bowler with some pace and sound batsman ), Tony Modra ( In the season just before he shot to AFL fame, he was a prodigious hitter of the ball and crafty medium/quick swing bowler. Batting at the Burbridge Rd end of WYC he hit a ball at training back over the bowlers head, over the tennis courts, OVER THE ROAD into the front yard of the house ways away.)

I witnessed this from the line up of bowlers who thought they'd have a crack at "Mods" ( who, is indeed a hell of a nice fellow ).

Google maps just told me this was 116m. Shocked

I don't doubt it for a second.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:00 pm

Booney wrote:
Scrappy wrote:

So 1.2 overs, 1/9.

I made 8 ( the other opener got the single ) so 50% of the team score....with two shots....off 7 balls.

FIGJAM but F-my team was no good-JAM. Very Happy

Great effort
50% of the runs for your team in a final
Wish I could that every time I batted in finals
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:23 pm

Booney wrote:Roger Luders played at WYCCC IIRC, along with Simon Byrne ( Bear, he was fast, seriously fast off about a 5 step run up), Greg Mellor ( Youngster was a sound all round cricketer, left arm swing bowler with some pace and sound batsman ), Tony Modra ( In the season just before he shot to AFL fame, he was a prodigious hitter of the ball and crafty medium/quick swing bowler. Batting at the Burbridge Rd end of WYC he hit a ball at training back over the bowlers head, over the tennis courts, OVER THE ROAD into the front yard of the house ways away.)

No doubt you can thank Westies' statistician, 'Skinny' for that.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:34 pm

Yes, Skinny was the ultimate recruiting officer.

Get them in the summer, fill them with lager at The Hilton, get them to agree to playing without them knowing and then just rock up to their house on a Saturday morning to pick them up. They never stood a chance. Very Happy
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:39 pm

Yes. I can remember a period when I coached Fulham and recruited many West players.

Had 8 out of 11 in a lower grade game once, including Youngster.

Some handy players, too.

We used to play several Eagles boys also.

I remember Andrew Taylor doing a great impression of me at training one night. The players thought it was funny, but I didn't see the joke at all Wink Cool
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:18 pm

FIGJAM

As attested to on the other thread, I wasn't the quickest bloke get around and this of course included in the field. However, I was generally, placed somewhere from cover to gully. Why the covers I have no idea.

Slips was the place you generally got put if you;
a) couldn't or wouldn't run
b) were big enough to at least stop the ball if you couldn't catch it
c) could actually catch it

We didn't have any of the c) types until one day I got put at second slip.
Our "offie" with the artificial hips was the permanent 1st slip. So you didn't take his spot. However, if he missed the ball coming his way, 2nd slip had to dash off after it.

Anyway, I came of age as a fielder that day at second slip. Took 5 catches across 2 opposition innings. I was in the "zone" willing the ball my way.

Needless to say, from that day onward I never left the slip cordon.
And I never had a day of 5 catches (or close to) ever again.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:40 pm

FINGJAM

I think I have posted a version of this on here somewhere before.

In the latter part of my playing days we were in the One day Adelaide Turf comp.

We had a decent year and made the final, playing Kensington at Kensington (lovely ground) against blokes like Sam Parkinson and Rick Darling.

I think I can say it was probably the most enjoyable day's cricket that I ever played. Not because we won (because we didn't), not because I made a lot of runs (because I didn't) and not because I did anything else terribly noteworthy either. But mainly because of the spirit the game was played (absolutely) no sledging, quite the opposite in fact. It was just plain old fun. Those guys didn't take themselves too seriously even though they had rights to and neither did we because we never had any right to anyway.

However, the FINGJAM part of the story centres on Sam Parkinson.
I think we won the toss and batted. I opened and as usual faced the first ball from Parkinson. He saunters in using a very economical run up and action (as he always had) and I think "here we go". I wasn't prepared for the ball coming out of his hand and never going anywhere near the pitch and dribbled down only for second slip to take the ball after a few bounces.

"WIDE" 0/1.

That produced chuckles all around and I reckon his teammates actually sledged him for such an average effort. Anyway the myrth died down and he comes in for the second ball of the innings.

So I think "he will want to make up for the last ball, this one is going to be a pearler". Nope.

It was infact an exact carbon copy of the first ball again fielded by second slip. Much more chuckles and Sam stood shaking his head wondering why his gross motor skills were eluding him. Their captain would have been forgiven for thinking he may need to add a couple more slips to stem the run flow.

"WIDE" 0/2.

OK so I think surely this can't continue, they're going to have get somebody to finish the over if it does. But it didn't continue. I spent the next 10 overs poking and prodding about trying to get a run, with Parkinson finding his rhythm and to hit a 10c piece regularly in the right spot.

So I thought I can't continue like this, we weren't getting any runs. So I'd been in about 15 overs (of 40 overs a side) and crawled my way to 15 runs. So I did the right thing and went the tonk and got out caught by Darling in the cover.

Man that bloke was a cat. You hit it to his left, he would get there and cut off the single. Same to his right. I reckon he could anticipate where it was going just by looking how you were shaping up to play the ball.

At the end of the day, we lost but were not disgraced. And it was just fun cricket. And I think my assessment of my batting abilities received a "calibration" in the process.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:45 pm

'Fun cricket'.

You're right, Chambo, it's sad watching a lot of lower grade games now.

You tend to remember the 'good' spirit games.

5 slips catches in a game, tidy cheers
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:47 pm

I said earlier that I'd caught 5, then took 3 wickets bowling.

I remember this, as I couldn't bowl, although my bowling average was 5.

A wicket every 5 years.
Lee
Lee

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:38 pm

My cricket career consisted of one season of under 12's for my primary school team, and only because my old man coached the side.

The only things I can remember about it are:

a) getting a nose bleed and then proceeding to lock myself in the school toilets (after hours, not a soul around). After half an hour I was lucky enough that a teacher walked past and heard my desperate cries for help!

b) the dad of one of the players was a milkie, so we used to score free flavoured milks after every game.

No actual cricket highlights sorry.

Laughing
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:09 pm

Lee wrote:'Fun cricket'.

You're right, Chambo, it's sad watching a lot of lower grade games now.

You tend to remember the 'good' spirit games.

5 slips catches in a game, tidy cheers

A bit of luck with some, as I didn't see them!
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:17 pm

This was a game Adelaide Turf
I was 15-16 years old
We were playing Hope Valley
I was asked to open the batting

I followed instructions back in those days
I was told to watch a few balls ,get set, then play my natural game
FigScrappy settled in and then belted the bowlers
I ended up with 70 odd in just over an hour
I think the team made 140 and lost

The following week we played the same team in a Semi Final
My instructions were to get the shine off the ball , and protect the middle order , after they failed the week before
I followed instructions perfectly
Once again I batted about an hour
This time FingScrappy  made 0
I must have faced about 50 balls for that emphatic 0
We made about 140 and lost again

Last edited by Scrappy on Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:29 pm

I had E.S.P when I played cricket

As a captain I was superb
I had
Extra
Sensory
Perception

Often I could outwit a batsman
None so more than a final  in the early 90s
The opposition middle order batter was a very very good player
He was a wonderful driver at anything pitched up
I had seen this in a previous match
I immediately brought on an outswing bowler
I placed a gully, point and short cover all close in
In a loud voice I told the bowler to bowl a half volley about a foot outside off stump
I told the short cover to get ready for a catch
The bowler bowled it about a foot outside off
The batsman drove hard at the ball
It squirted out to short cover who took the catch
The batsman was non peterplussed, I was heralded a genuis
Figscrappy and E.S.P at its best

I also had E.S.P. when batting
If I faced very fast bowlers who bowled short at me I had E.S.P
Extra
Smelly
Pants
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:34 pm

Gingernuts wrote:My cricket career consisted of one season of under 12's for my primary school team, and only because my old man coached the side.

The only things I can remember about it are:

a) getting a nose bleed and then proceeding to lock myself in the school toilets (after hours, not a soul around). After half an hour I was lucky enough that a teacher walked past and heard my desperate cries for help!

b) the dad of one of the players was a milkie, so we used to score free flavoured milks after every game.

No actual cricket highlights sorry.

Laughing

Nothing wrong locking yourself in the toilet
Shows me that you wanted to be not out
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down