the prowler
Paul
Gingernuts
Booney
10 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Adelaide Oval - First AFL final - Port v Richmond Sunday September 7 Empty Adelaide Oval - First AFL final - Port v Richmond Sunday September 7

Post by Booney Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:37 am

The first AFL final to be held at Adelaide Oval will see Port Adelaide (5th) host the rampaging Richmond (8th) after Richmond finished the year with 9 straight victories to pinch 8th spot from West Coast and Adelaide.

Will be a long week leading up to this one......I'm not yet confident to make any prediction.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Adelaide Oval - First AFL final - Port v Richmond Sunday September 7 Empty Re: Adelaide Oval - First AFL final - Port v Richmond Sunday September 7

Post by Booney Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:09 pm

Richmonds clash guernsey not "clashing" enough, so Port will wear the white away strip.

For our home final. At our home ground. When we finished 5th and they finished 8th.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Adelaide Oval - First AFL final - Port v Richmond Sunday September 7 Empty Re: Adelaide Oval - First AFL final - Port v Richmond Sunday September 7

Post by Gingernuts Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:20 pm

Booney wrote:Richmonds clash guernsey not "clashing" enough, so Port will wear the white away strip.

For our home final. At our home ground. When we finished 5th and they finished 8th.

What a load of crap.

The same thing happened when they played against us a few weeks ago. They wore their traditional guernsey when they should have been made to wear a clash strip for sure.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:46 pm

Remembering 8th and 7th won both Elimination Finals last year.

But Richmond's bubble to well and truly burst this weekend. Port by plenty.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:18 am

Booney wrote:Richmonds clash guernsey not "clashing" enough, so Port will wear the white away strip.

Have to agree Booney. Who in the AFL make these dumb decisions anyway.

Port have met with the AFL are now allowed to wear their Black & White prison bar strip with white shorts.

Port should have remained strong and not cave into the AFL ruling, there-by forcing Richmond to use an alternate strip.
the prowler
the prowler

Teams : South,Crows, Hectorville

Back to top Go down

Post by SPROUTY Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:38 am

I can't wait to see the Tiges knock off Port this week! Port have played above themselves way too much this year and their so called run is only present against low sides. Tigers by 8 points!
SPROUTY
SPROUTY

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:41 am

Other than the games we beat Hawthorn, Fremantle and Geelong in?
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by SPROUTY Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:12 pm

Getting beaten by Fremantle last week is a tad more relevant than beating them months ago. Hawthorn were fielding a B grade side and Geelong were no where near their best at that stage. Port have been overrated all year and will be exposed come finals time.

The games against Ess, Richmond and Melbourne showed how overrated the run factor is/has been.
SPROUTY
SPROUTY

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:33 pm

The jumper decision is farcical. Power should play in their home strip and Richmond in their pre-season strip which is mainly yellow. The VFL centric nature of the comp is ridiculous
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:37 pm

As a footy supporter I agree that power should of played in their home strip
Thiele
Thiele

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by SPROUTY Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:13 pm

Of course Port Adelaide should play in the home strip - Richmond should wear the away strip and thats the end of it.

What I don't agree with is Port Power playing in the Port Magpies strip - that should be save for heritage weeks only - It is not a Power guernsey. Collingwood should be the only team to play in the balck and white stripes.
SPROUTY
SPROUTY

Back to top Go down

Post by Thiele Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:15 pm

SPROUTY wrote:

What I don't agree with is Port Power playing in the Port Magpies strip - that should be save for heritage weeks only - It is not a Power guernsey. Collingwood should be the only team to play in the balck and white stripes.
Well said
Thiele
Thiele

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:06 pm

SPROUTY wrote:I can't wait to see the Tiges knock off Port this week! Port have played above themselves way too much this year and their so called run is only present against low sides.

Tiges on a 9 game winning streak. 6 of those wins are St Kilda x2, Brisbane, West Coast, GWS, Adelaide.

Port will roll them on Sunday.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:10 am

SPROUTY wrote:Of course Port Adelaide should play in the home strip - Richmond should wear the away strip and thats the end of it.

It is irrefutable though,the Port Adelaide Football Club and the prison bar guernsey are synonymous with each other. Simple as that.

Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by SPROUTY Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:27 am

Booney wrote:
SPROUTY wrote:Of course Port Adelaide should play in the home strip - Richmond should wear the away strip and thats the end of it.

It is irrefutable though,the Port Adelaide Football Club and the prison bar guernsey are synonymous with each other. Simple as that.

In the SANFL not AFL.... It's not their AFL strip.
Simple as that.
SPROUTY
SPROUTY

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:51 am

Correct, it isn't. The AFL told us we couldn't wear our strip, we were not prepared to wear our white strip, so a compromised was reached.

I understand why some are not happy about it.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:06 pm

i'd like to see Richmond win but i can see them having collective sigh of relief & think ''ahh we've got there" & then being off the boil this week & for that reason i think Port will win by well over 5 goals

as for ''jumper gate'' it'll give Port the ''us against them mentality'' as well
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:48 pm

Port :

FB: Jackson Trengove, Alipate Carlile, Tom Jonas
HB: Matthew Broadbent, Jack Hombsch, Jasper Pittard
C: Kane Cornes, Ollie Wines, Hamish Hartlett
HF: Robbie Gray, Justin Westhoff, Angus Monfries
FF: Jake Neade, Jay Schulz, Chad Wingard
Foll: Matthew Lobbe, Travis Boak, Brad Ebert
Interchange : Cam O’Shea, Matt White, Jared Polec,Andrew Moore ( Impey, Mitchell and Newton to miss )

Richmond :

B: Chaplin, Batchelor, Rance
HB: Houli, Newman, Morris
C: Foley, Cotchin, Miles
HF: Conca, Griffiths, Deledio
F: S. Edwards, Riewoldt, Gordon
R: Maric, Ellis, Martin
IC from: Petterd, Vlastuin, Grigg, Grimes ( Dea, Jackson has retired and Lloyd to miss )

In: Dea, Jackson, Lloyd
Out:

Port are set to make one change to the line-up listed above, first year player Jarman Impey will be omitted from the side that lost to Fremantle last week in a pure match up change, Cam O’Shea who was very unlucky to miss out last week comes back in.

With Richmonds forward line boasting medium/talls in Edwards, Gordon and Conca while the likes of Deledio and Martin rolling through a match up for small forward-taking Jarman Impey was not there.

This one might be the toughest of the first week of finals matches to pick.

Richmond come steaming into the match on the back of a 9 game winning streak and will have plenty of Richmond fans at Adelaide Oval backing their team in. Meanwhile Port have returned to some solid form in the last month after a shaky six weeks without Trengove and Carlile down back to sure up the ship and get to play in front of their adoring home fans, some of the loudest in the country.

So how do you pick the winner of this one? Form must go in Richmonds favour. Home ground advantage to Port.

Who has more to play for? Well, it’s a cut throat final, both sides are playing for their season so there can be no more on the line.

The game starts with the ruckman and both of them are in form, but it must be said, Matt Lobbe has shouldered the heavy burden of rucking almost single handedly for most of the year while Ivan Maric spent much of the first half of the year on the side lines and only really got up and going mid year.

Lobbe might have the height advantage but Maric uses his body well and unlike many ruckman, he doesn’t hit the scoreboard much, kicking only 4 goals for the year. Port need big Lobbe to get a goal or two to his name to make Maric accountable and take advantage in this department.

The midfield, as you would expect in a final, is full of stars. Port will be led by one of the form players of the comp, Robbie Gray. All of my match previews of late have put Gray as the most important Port midfielder and he has stood out now, for about 8 weeks. Gray and Boak have been super consistent, Hartlett in ripping form ( hitting the scoreboard ) while Wines has had a quiet few weeks after carrying the midfield while some struggled for form mid year and the likes of Ebert, Polec, White and Wingard have had flashes of form of late, these guys need to be at their best on Sunday.

Kane Cornes, still perhaps the best tagger in the game will make Richmond skipper Trent Cotchins day as difficult as can be, Hinkley may choose to try and shut down Dustin Martin but that will only see Martin push forward and his one-on-one stats forward of centre are outstanding. Cornes wont want to get caught one out with Martin I50, so I think Cotchin will be his target. Impressive young Miles might also be seen as a player Cornes could shut down.

Cotchin, Ellis, Martin, Ellis, Miles and Foley are all in good nick for Richmond and offer plenty of headaches for Port.

In the key areas down back for both sides Alex Rance is enjoying his role as third man up leaving Chaplin and Batchelor to take the big men on. Westhoff and Schulz need to get on the board this week, Schulz with his 6 last week looks the most dangerous. This part of the ground worries me a little for Port. Wingard and Monfries were getting 1-2 goals each with regularity early on this year and they have both dried up a little.

With White these guys, I think, are the key to Port winning. Morris ( White ), Newman ( Monfries ) and Houli ( Wingard ) will take these three on and I like these match ups for Port and think the three Port smalls can take advantage of this. Newman, like Rance, likes to get loose, he won’t be able to do this on Sunday.

At the other end that wanker...I mean Reiwoldt will have Carlile on his back, Trengove with Griffiths and Hombsch taking the role as the third man up, reading the play and getting in the way of forward thrusts.

Edwards and Gordon are the size that suits O’Shea and Jonas and this should give Hombsch room in defence and Broadbent room on the attack to set play up.

I’m torn here, my heart says Port and my head is unsure. I do know it will be a great way to spend my fathers day, a brew or two or three or four with my lad, sitting in the sun. I’m fired up after writing this!!

I’m tipping this one to be a ripper and Wingard and Monfries to do some damage for the Power. Port by 16 points.

( Forget the jumper bollocks, lets get on with the footy!! )

Carn the Power!!!
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:43 am

Impressive victory by the Power yesterday.

They came out absolutely firing and had the door slammed firmly shut by quarter time. On the flipside Richmond were shocking, and for all the troubles my club has I still wouldn't be a Tiger's fan for quids.

Was the first time I'd seen the Never Tear Us Apart business yesterday too, and I have to say I thought it was cringe worthy. Bloody terrible stuff.

But...

It works because the Power fans have embraced it and don't give a **** about what anyone thinks. Opposition fans aren't meant to like it, that's the point.

This is my main beef with my fellow Adelaide fans. The only reason the 19th man doesn't work for a section of the fan base is because they don't embrace it - they care too much about what supporters from other clubs think.

"Wah wah wah, nobody likes us, people think we're stupid, I don't like this or that, wah wah wah."

Harden the **** up and wear your colours with pride FFS.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:52 am

Absolutely Ginge, I've never been an INXS fan, I've disliked Never Tear Us Apart since that God awful Puberty Blues show ran it in their promo for seemingly a summer and a half....but, its been embraced by the Port faithful, it's message is one of unity and togetherness and willingness to do what it takes to help each other.

One Richmond fan yesterday said he didn't care for the song and thought it was far too manufactured along the Liverpool lines, but he said he had hairs on the back of his neck up and was in awe of the 40 seconds prior to the bounce and couldn't care less what anyone thought of the idea, he loved it. The whole bay of Richmond people next to me stood and applauded when it was ringing around the ground.

They feel pretty quiet after that.

Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:11 am

Could see a Port demolition job coming from a mile away. Their brand of footy is the most lethal in the competition when they are able to play it, makes them look like that have an extra 3 players on the field. I must add that I also find it the most exciting football, and that's good for footy, because other clubs will generally take some of that offensive emphasis and try and incorporate it into their game. Brisbane look to be trying to build something similar for example. Hope they can win in Perth next week, and think they can, a Prelim final v the Hawks at the G would be a corker.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by valleys07 Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:12 pm

Gingernuts wrote:Impressive victory by the Power yesterday.

They came out absolutely firing and had the door slammed firmly shut by quarter time. On the flipside Richmond were shocking, and for all the troubles my club has I still wouldn't be a Tiger's fan for quids.

Was the first time I'd seen the Never Tear Us Apart business yesterday too, and I have to say I thought it was cringe worthy. Bloody terrible stuff.

But...

It works because the Power fans have embraced it and don't give a **** about what anyone thinks. Opposition fans aren't meant to like it, that's the point.

This is my main beef with my fellow Adelaide fans. The only reason the 19th man doesn't work for a section of the fan base is because they don't embrace it - they care too much about what supporters from other clubs think.

"Wah wah wah, nobody likes us, people think we're stupid, I don't like this or that, wah wah wah."

Harden the **** up and wear your colours with pride FFS.

Precisely Ginge.

I wouldn't be able to tell you 5 things about INXS, and admit I dont participate in the scarf holding. I do sing along, and absolutely love it because 45-50k power fans get right amongst it, the place absolutely pumps from the moment the players run out to "not giving in", through to the final siren- and the players get a real kick from NTUA, which is exactly what it is aimed at, uniting the supporter group from an entertainment perspective, and the playing group from a motivational perspective.

People bag us for the tarps, they bag us for a packed house of singing fans. We cant win- but as a long time power fan, I much prefer the latter.
valleys07
valleys07

Teams : Port Adelaide, Port Power, Hope Valley

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:32 pm

The moral of the story is - people are going to bag you no matter what, particularly opposition supporters. Hell, that's their job.

So just pull on your colours and wear them with pride, and stop giving a **** what opposition supporters think.

If only my insecure fellow Adelaide fans would understand that.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by valleys07 Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:51 pm

Gingernuts wrote:The moral of the story is - people are going to bag you no matter what, particularly opposition supporters. Hell, that's their job.

So just pull on your colours and wear them with pride, and stop giving a **** what opposition supporters think.

If only my insecure fellow Adelaide fans would understand that.

Once again- precisely.
valleys07
valleys07

Teams : Port Adelaide, Port Power, Hope Valley

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:49 pm

SPROUTY wrote:I can't wait to see the Tiges knock off Port this week! Port have played above themselves way too much this year and their so called run is only present against low sides. Tigers by 8 points!

Hope you were not holding your breath on it SPROUTY Smile
the prowler
the prowler

Teams : South,Crows, Hectorville

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next