Scrunch
Gingernuts
6 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Go down

Port v Carlton & Adelaide v Nth Empty Port v Carlton & Adelaide v Nth

Post by Gingernuts Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:41 am

Well, time for this weeks games.

Port v Carlton on Friday night should be a pretty good game. I wouldn't be surprised to see Port play a bit more freely now after sewing up a finals spot and most likely 5th spot with last weeks win.

Adelaide play North in Tasmania on Saturday afternoon in a game that will basically decide whether they play finals or not. It shouldn't have come to this, but it has, and it's very lucky that their fate is still in their own hands as other results just keep falling their way. This theme continues with the MRP handing them a free kick by rubbing out Wells and Harvey.

It's almost like every week the footy gods are moving heaven and earth to keep them in the race, and they keep doing everything they can to bow out. With this weeks tribunal events though, I think they can get the job done against the Kangas.

Discuss away.

Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Port v Carlton & Adelaide v Nth Empty Re: Port v Carlton & Adelaide v Nth

Post by Scrunch Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:19 am

Accurate preview I'd say Ginger.

For mine, I think Port might touch the Blues up a bit. I get the feeling they're not far away from putting it back together, and Sydney had to play very well to get over them in their previous home game. Selection obviously very important, but I would expect Port to win by 7 goals+ despite Carlton's recent good form.

Now to Tassie, who really knows what you'll get with the Crows? Harvey and Wells are huge bonuses for Adelaide which they should capitalise on, if the "Good Crows" turn up. They've been somewhat unreliable on that front though, so I'll play it safe and tip the Roos by about 2 goals.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:49 pm

Yep, can definitely see Port arking up again this weekend for a big win.

They are a confidence outfit (much like their cross town rivals), and the pressure of expectation has certainly got to them over the second half of the season. Now that there is zero chance of them missing finals, I wouldn't be surprised if the playing group are feeling a lot more upbeat this week down at Alberton.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:50 pm

No doubt confidence is an issue Ginge, as with all clubs, but the loss of Trengove and Carlile in a squad thin with big men ( Renouf and Redden out for the season with knees ) had, IMO, a bigger impact on the side than the confidence lost in a couple of close losses.

It hurt us bad as we simply had no replacements ready to come in of that stature.

Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:06 pm

Port by less than 4 goals & a draw in the other match
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:29 am

We could almost have used a template for the last 8 weeks of the season for both SA based AFL teams.

Adelaide need to win to keep finals hopes alive after another inconsistent performance.

Port come up against an opponent who they should simply beat, but appear to be in better form than the Power. We could have used this over and over and over....

First off Port get to host their first Friday night game at Adelaide Oval with Mick Malthouses ( or is it Triggys? ) Navy Blues coming to town. Carlton have been in good form recently, nearly knocking off Geelong last Friday night in a thriller where you could argue the umpires influenced the outcome. Perhaps not, Geelong were the better side most of the night.

Anyway, the Blues come to town with pride to play for and that can be a dangerous thing for any team in the top 8. With “nothing to lose” Carlton will be hell bent on upsetting someones September run.

Before the loss to Geelong by an even goal they beat the Gold Coast comfortably, were pipped at the post by Fremantle by 5 points in Perth and touched up the Kangas by 23 points. That’s some impressive form.

Most notable for Carlton has been their impressive midfield making the most of all being fit and in form. Murphy, Judd, Gibbs, Simpson,Carrazzo and co. are all in good nick. Waite is finding the ball, Casboult ( who looks very impressive long term prospect ) adds a marking option. Rowe is much improved down back, Jamison helps ably in D50 and Cameron Wood, despatched by Collingwood and then Brisbane finds himself in his third club and he has cemented a spot in the ruck over the last month. Carlton come here looking like the team who, in the betting market anyway, should just be favourite.

Many people have talked up Port since the loss to Sydney, noting an admirable effort there plus a win in very tough conditions over the Gold Coast has Port on the up heading to September action. With 5th spot stitched up and an outside chance of stealing 4th in the last round the boys from Alberton will be very keen to win this one.

Important players for Port have had mixed form of late, but one stands out, Robbie Gray has been simply sensational. In a reflection of his overall performance, to go with his 28 goals thus far he also leads the club in centre clearances and overall clearances, ranks third at the club for handballs and contested possession and is second for marks inside 50. Incredible numbers from a bloke who is a lock for All Australian and a smokey for the Brownlow. Carltons resident pest Andrew Carrazzo is sure to get the job of trying to quell the influence of Gray.

Last week saw three of Port’s important play makers get some form. Broadbent was clean in the wet when others fumbled, Harltett was crucial with his ability to gain meterage with his impressive field kicking and Matt Westhoff found space up the ground to be an important link man to the forward half.

Again ( see template ) Wingard, White and Polec had meagre returns and at this time of year it might be starting to worry Hinkley and the coaching staff. These guys ( Polec was subbed out during the third quarter last week with only 6 touches ) need to keep working hard and building form. Wingard has kicked 5 goals in 6 weeks and averaged 14 touches, enough for some players to hold a spot, but not enough from this sublimely skilled youngster.

( See template )Wines and Boak have been ultra consistent and Carlile and Trengove have no excuses after a couple of weeks back at full pace in games and training. Lobbe was sensational last week and the chop out that Trengove and Westhoff will provide tomorrow night might be too much for the drifting Wood to handle and I expect Port to start the rot here. Judd, Murphy and Gibbs will no doubt be looking to read Lobbe’s hit outs and if more go to Port’s advantage than not, Port will win.

Schulz is due a bag, Westhoff is looking mobile again after the ankle was tweaked and the midfield will look to take advantage of Prince Harry....I mean Matt Lobbe’s dominance.

Port on the big stage of Friday night lights by 38 points.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:44 pm

I was thinking today about who Carrazzo might go to, and my first thought was Robbie Gray. Then I thought about it some more, and Im not sure it would be the case. Im not sure Mick would want Carrazzo away from the middle and Port could simply switch Gray forward more often to break that one. Will be interesting to see how that all plays out.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:51 pm

Good write up Booney, you're on the money I reckon.

I picked up this little contraption at a garage sale to help me write up a summary of Adelaide's game:

Port v Carlton & Adelaide v Nth OandG_choc_wheel_1-text1893

Odds they win, evens they lose.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:22 pm

In all seriousness I think Adelaide will win this weekend:

- Scott Thompson comes back into the line up to strengthen Adelaide's on ball brigade.
- Adelaide seem to play better football away from home this year. It's almost like they can't deal with the pressure of 45 000+ fans expecting them to win.
- The Kanga's lineup just looks a little too thin.

We'll see what happens. Wouldn't be surprised if they come out and belt the living suitcase out of North this week, only to lose next week against the Saints.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:03 pm

In the other game Adelaide travel to Blundstone Arena in Taswegia to tackle the equally inconsistent, frustratingly close but then far away, unexpected loss, surpising win, players offering lots or nothing Kangaroos.

This one is a nightmare for both sides, neither team can boast any confidence, form or momentum with the last 5 weeks for Adelaide being LWLWL while the Kangas have gone WWLLW....go on, back ‘em on footy punt at your peril!

At least the high pressure system over the Apple Isle will offer fine conditions on Saturday, 16 and sunny for the contest which, let’s be honest, can be affected by the Tasmanian weather if it turns truly sour.

Adelaide will be buoyed by the tribunal sticking it to that little pri....err, Brent Harvey and Daniel Wells. That little pr....err, Brent Harvey is showing no signs of ageing and the little pr....err, Harvey has been in form equal to the best of his career in season 2014. Wells missed a large chunk of the year through injury but has been getting back to some good form. These two losses are part of North’s core group and anytime you lose two of your quality mids, you hurt.

North have got the best out of ex-Port Magpie Levi Greenwood this year and he will be one of the keys for Adelaide to shut down. With Nick Dal Santo starting to melt like Meadow Lea now the sun is coming out you can let this show pony do as he pleases. Nicky Dal ( grrr ) is good when the Roos are good, he’s sitting at a bus stop looking for anyway out when they are in a tough one. ( Get the impression I don’t rate him?)

North offer Adelaide a tough opponent, one who loves to get a little unsociable at times and play attacking football when they get the chance. The biggest danger I see for Adelaide is the big man department with North having Goldstein (201cm) , Petrie (197) and Ben Brown (200) giving Adelaide some headaches when North go forward, this will stretch Adelaide with it likely Podsiadly will need to drop back at times to help Talia and Shaw.

This hurts Adelaide with Lynch out the side ( poor bloke, he’s had absolutely rotten luck this year....red hair and then the injuries to boot  Very Happy  ) leaving Jenkins as the link man and Walker at home. In some ways I think this balances Adelaide up, I think Walker, Jenkins and Podsiadly in the F50 is too top heavy. Adelaide try to compensate for this by having Betts and Cameron at ground level, but this looks a little like kick it in high and if we don’t mark we tackle and pressure as the only method forward for Adelaide.

They might mix things up by throwing a Henderson or Dangerfield to play tall/small and add some balance. The loss of Otten stops Henderson going forward though restricting the Sandmans options. Thompson in the middle is a big in for Adelaide, he and Greenwood will slug it out for 2 hours and that will be a great battle.

Lachie Hansen is the key to Norths defence roaming as the third tall and marking/intercepting/spoiling at will, he must be held accountable.

If any one is keen to actually pick this one with confidence I’d be surprised.

For mine finals bound North Melbourne are setting for September while Adelaide don’t know what the hell they really want from season 2014.

I’m tipping North by 11 points. Don’t ask how I arrived at that!
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:57 am

When did Shaw do his hamstring, was it during last weeks game?

Sandman playing his full hand now, Thompson coming in after being subbed out two weeks in a row then missing two weeks means he is not a month without a full game, could be a risk.

Rutten would love having to come in for a game in Tassie! Those ol' bones will be creaking.....
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:36 pm

Yea, ditching the youth for experience.

The backline looks so much better with the name Rutten at full back. Why did he have to lose so much pace so quickly. Apart from Talia the big man department looks like it could be very light on in the next couple of years.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:51 pm

All hands on deck tomorrow.

You're right, Rutten/Talia looks so much better on paper. Bulk and smarts with Rutten and reach and agility with Talia. I think you'd have liked another tall in there this week too, don't be surprised to see Podsiadly down back a fair bit tomorrow.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:12 pm

Yea I reckon your right re Pods.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of 'do it for Truck' in tomorrow's game, even though publicly most coaches say they don't use that sort of stuff for motivation anymore.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:14 pm

He'll get his farewell at AO either next week and/or the week after, so good for the big rig to get an AO game in front of the 19th man.

As you can probably gather, he's one Crow I don't have any problems with. He's a good old fashion big arsed straight line running full back. Probably one of the last of his breed, Alipate Carlile in a similar mould and there isn't many of these left.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:31 pm

They played a few highlights of Rutten at the AO last week. Easy to forget how good he has been.

Pity that traditional full back/full forward battle is disappearing from the game now.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:10 pm

Port by 39
North by 28, won't be surprised if it's even at 3/4 time and we lose by 50
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:56 pm

i'd suggest if any Carlton fans are out there may want to venture into the La Trattoria (or however it is spelled) restaurant in the city after the match you might just see 38 players & officials having their late night meals of pasta etc  Wink 
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:45 am

I went to AO pretty confident of a win, even backed Port 40+. Didn't expect to get that result, but Carlton had given everything for 3 weeks leading up to it and looked shot.

With a better percentage Saturday looms as a cracker against Fremantle for 4th spot.

Less said about Adelaide the better, it would only be repeating old post match reports anyway.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:21 pm

Didn't see much of the Adelaide game, but I reckon it would've gone something like this:

- Poor start, with one or two turnover goals just getting North going nicely;
- Switch into gear at around quarter time or a bit after and play 20 mins of spectacular football, but not convert on the scoreboard, meanwhile letting North get a couple of cheapies (i.e. 2 goals from 3 forward entries for the quarter) so that the scores are still pretty level;
- Steam out after half time and get a couple of goals in front;
- Dominate for another 10 - 20 mins without scoreboard impact;
- Fart and fumble and turnover our way to another loss by under 2 goals.

How did I go?
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:25 pm

Very, very well.

You just wrapped up rounds 1,6,9,13,18,22.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:58 pm

Laughing 
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:13 pm

No, they aren't this weeks X-Lotto numbers ( I will put them on for a giggle though! )
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:43 pm

Might even do the same, that way we both can share in the spoils Port v Carlton & Adelaide v Nth 169538438
the prowler
the prowler

Teams : South,Crows, Hectorville

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:01 pm

oh no, they're my usual Saturday night numbers, i'll get bugger all if they come up this week
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum