UncleHuey
A Mum
bayman
Gingernuts
9 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Port v Gold Coast & Adelaide v Richmond - Page 2 Empty Re: Port v Gold Coast & Adelaide v Richmond

Post by Booney Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:11 am

Well, the torrential rain that Port encountered on the Gold Coast was just what we needed. A game where it came down to who was prepared to tough it out for the longest and despite the Suns being down a couple of rotations they made us work to the very end for the win.

Jackson Trengove gave his recently operated on ankle a tweak on Wednesday night and once the rain came there was no point playing the extra tall, in comes Tom Logan. 10 minutes before the bounce Aaron Young heads to the airport to head home for the Magpies v Redlegs game yesterday, only to get a call to turn around and come back as Angus Monfries pulled up lame with a hip flexor as the captains were tossing the coin. At the first bounce Aaron Young was still in the taxi.

The Suns skipped out of the boxes to have 2.2 14 on the board before Port scored, from there it really was all Port Adelaide with inside 50’s a remarkable 72-39, disposals 336-265, Hit outs 64-37 all pointing to a big win for Port, it wasn’t and not only the conditions but the plucky Suns made it difficult for Port to break free. Time in forward half would be an interesting stat, both sides had enormous trouble getting the ball out of defensive 50.

Once Port managed to get the clean skills of Hartlett, Westhoff and Broadbent ( who for some reason got no mention in the Mails best players ) into the game, Wines and Boak went in and under as Robbie Gray once again stood out as the player with the cleanest hands at stoppages. Several Gray takeaways were like watching one bloke play dry weather football.

Again the likes of Carlile, O’Shea and Broadbent stood up in defence, White and Wingard chipped in for a dozen touches and a goal each and the big man, Matt Lobbe, rucked tirelessly all day to not only dominate in the air but also at ground level with a game high 12 tackles and 16 disposals.

A win is a win and it’s exactly what Port needed, a tough game, a close in tight battle and the 4 points.

With Carlton on Friday night at home this week is a big one for Port. On the big stage closing in on September with an opponent who will be hell bent on shaping September for someone other than themselves and are in good form, this is perfect for Port.

We’ve stitched up 5th spot, have an outside chance to pinch 4th and will have a home final, which is increasingly likely to be Adelaide. Urrrghhhh ( I will say NOTHING about it being a “dream final” – Thanks to the Chad version 1.0 )
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Port v Gold Coast & Adelaide v Richmond - Page 2 Empty Re: Port v Gold Coast & Adelaide v Richmond

Post by Booney Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:31 am

Gingernuts wrote:
Booney wrote:Question Ginge, do you think the talk from Sando during the week regarding the Brisbane heat, the short turn around etc etc played in the players minds late in the game, did they look tired/flat at the ground?

No. They looked like a team of individuals who didn't want to be the one who stuffed it up.

Any ideas how do you change that Booney? Your mob are looking for the same answers at present IMO, only difference is their early form is saving them from harder scrutiny. It's a confidence game this one, and when you are Hawthorn or Sydney with a core of 10 - 15 blokes on 150+ games with a smattering of talented youngsters, you are going to find it a lot easier to grab the wins than when it's the other way around.

I only asked this as I thought Sando's comments before the Brisbane game in the pre-game interview were well justified. Showed some concerns for his players welfare and questioned the capped rotations on a warm day in Brisbane while the rest of the country shivers.

I found it odd though that he raised it again, days after a 100 point win. It almost gave the players an "out" for a poor performance on Saturday night.

How to fix the bold, I don't know....but I would have thought a 100 point win away from home would have been confidence and momentum building enough.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:41 am

Gingernuts wrote:
Booney wrote:Talia, Smith, Sloane and Walker all amber, can you expand upon that?

Colour coding purely done to indicate how experienced they are by game count, + 100 being green and the point that most would consider the 'average' player should feel comfortable at be performing consistently at AFL level. Obviously there are players that fall either side of that rule of thumb based on their ability.

The exercise is more about the net result rather than the individuals, the point being that particularly in those last 5 - 8 players picked, Adelaide have serious problems with depth/experience.

Sorry Ginge, in your post you say :

"Look at the games records of the team that took the field on the weekend. I’ve colour coded them into 3 categories, with green being players who should be able to perform, amber for borderline, and red for those who you could be susceptible to panic under pressure.

I thought you used the colours to define their poise under pressure, not games played.--- "with green being players who should be able to perform, amber for borderline, and red for those who you could be susceptible to panic under pressure" and wondered why Talia, Smith, Sloane, Jenkins and Walker were "amber".

Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:17 pm

No worries mate, sorry for the ambiguity.

My point was really that while we have a solid core, the fringe is very green still. Good analogy that one, Adelaide's line up is a bit like an apple - core is great and from the outside the whole thing looks good, but when you actually bite into it and test it for sure it's still as sour as **** - things a bit more time in the sun to ripen.

Probably could have just posted that instead of going to the trouble of colour coding the entire outfit.  Laughing 

The Brisbane stuff is an interesting one. I agree with your point of view, mentioning it before was fair, but after the game he should've just banked the win and got on with the next opponent.

Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:22 pm

Booney wrote:
Jackson Trengove gave his recently operated on ankle a tweak on Wednesday night and once the rain came there was no point playing the extra tall, in comes Tom Logan. 10 minutes before the bounce Aaron Young heads to the airport to head home for the Magpies v Redlegs game yesterday, only to get a call to turn around and come back as Angus Monfries pulled up lame with a hip flexor as the captains were tossing the coin. At the first bounce Aaron Young was still in the taxi.

Saw that on facebook and wondered what the hell had happened there!

Booney wrote:We’ve stitched up 5th spot, have an outside chance to pinch 4th and will have a home final, which is increasingly likely to be Adelaide. Urrrghhhh ( I will say NOTHING about it being a “dream final” – Thanks to the Chad version 1.0 )

Funny, but I feel the same way. A lot of Adelaide fans talking it up. Not me. Don't get me wrong, a free home final when you don't deserve it is nice, but the last think I need is the Port faithful having a whole pre-season of ammunition against us should they win.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:44 pm

This article from the Rooch sums it up pretty well too:

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/adelaide-seems-to-play-best-footy-when-situation-seems-at-its-most-dire/story-fnia3xzy-1227027284481
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:14 am

The AFL have admitted the Sloane review/goal/cock up was indeed a cock up....really, who would have thought?

Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:06 pm

And it didn't matter anyway. Adelaide got a point and a goal inside the next minute anyway.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:09 pm

I think the goal review system needs to be thrown out. It was brought in to stop a howler of a call costing a game of football.

On Saturday night we saw a howler of a call that could have cost a game of football - so in essence we're spending time and money to achieve absolutely nothing.

Ditch it.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2