Norwood

4 posters

Go down

Norwood Empty Norwood

Post by Lee Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:34 am

For some time, I've thought that Norwood was the measuring stick of the SANFL competition.  Nathan Bassett's appointment as coach, IMO, changed the landscape of the comp.  It took his players a while to learn his system and style, but when they did, they played a game which other coaches have struggled to overcome.

There are different interpretations of the nuts and bolts of their system, but it basically relies on positioning around the ground, freeing up a backman (and a ruckman?), an effective forward press and pressure on the ball carrier.

I'm no expert on that, so it's just my best guess which others can explain more expertly, but it works.  It works extremely well and will likely be good enough to win the premiership again this year.

This year, Norwood lost a host of top class players and appointed a new coach.  They struggled a bit early, which, IMO, was due to the newer league players becoming accustomed to playing senior football and 'gelling', as well as, perhaps, adjusting to Ben Warren's coaching.  Since they've made that adjustment, their form has been outstanding, with only a minor blip or two.

I watched them on Saturday.  As much as West looked and played like a side whose season had finished the week before, Norwood ran harder than any side I'd watched this year, had more marking talls and their skills were better, although they weren't under much pressure.

They will find it harder at Adelaide Oval than Norwood Oval, but I can't see other sides beating their system, which I've thought for some time is the key issue in our competition.

Credit to them, it's now up to four other coaches to find an answer.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Norwood Empty Re: Norwood

Post by Scrunch Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:58 pm

Personally I think Norwood have punched well above their weight this season. With the personnel they have lost they probably have no right to be challenging for a double chance. I do believe they are beatable, and ultimately I think they will fall short, but they bring enough of a game every week that it's going to take one of the best performances an opponent can produce, to get over them. They aren't quick and can have periods of poor ball use that bring them undone, but they are extremely well drilled at maintaining position and structure which sees them cover the ground relatively well, and they have a strong belief in their methods delivering the desired result. I still believe it's Port's premiership to lose, but should they lose some cattle between their top 2 grades, any other finalist is capable of winning the whole thing (although obviously unlikely from an Elim). Norwood would be rueing their dual losses to the Eagles (their only losses in the last couple of months) as they could have a double chance position sewn up by now, but their remaining matches of the season make it tough to snag a coveted top 3 position.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:51 pm

If Port are close to full strength ie who played at the start of the year they'll go top for sure & comfortably so, if not the Norwood is most likely too but i do think Sturts' best is good enough to give Norwood a run for its money, i can not see any other team winning the flag
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by blueandwhite Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:20 pm

I agree with the above comments however I feel that injuries coupled with Ports AFL finals participation will bring Port very much back to the field.
if the 5 remains as it is for the first week of the finals, Il think that all the sides will all be capable of beating anyone - on their day. For example South- yes South ...have defeated every other side in the finals apart from Sturt who defeated them narrowly at Unley earlier in the year, and meet again in the final minor round of the year at Noarlunga.
I believe that Norwood are going well but maybe not that well... we gave them an 8 goal to nil head start at Norwood a couple of weeks ago and almost hauled them in....
The finals are wide open...
South if they get there cannot afford 1 more injury, not 1 ..there is zero depth in the reserves atm and heres the injury list..

Josh Giddings - Lower Leg - Test
Darcy Hourigan - Concussion - Test
Todd McKay - Groin - Test
Matt Rankine - Quad - Test

Ongoing Injuries:

Roland Ah Chee - Hamstring - Indefinite
Jackson McMahon - Knee - Indefinite
Lachlan Boyd - Shoulder - Season
Cameron De Visser - Ankle - Season
Luke Durdin - Hamstring - Season
Pat Kerin - Bruised Kidney - Season
Lewis Makepeace - Knee - Season
Tarak Redigolo - Knee- Season
Sam Richman - Knee - Season
blueandwhite
blueandwhite

Teams : Naracoorte, Jamestown/Peterborough, Tipperary, HolyCross/Ballycahill GAA.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum