Showdown 2014 v2

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Showdown 2014 v2 - Page 2 Empty Re: Showdown 2014 v2

Post by Gingernuts on Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:36 pm

Booney wrote: There’s every likely hood a fire will start in the centre this week as two giant Redheads go at each other.   lol! Hi Ginge!!  Very Happy  Lobbe and Jacobs will exchange serious amounts of SPF30+ as they battle each other with the odd chop out from Trengove and Jenkins.

Some of your best work there Booney!  Laughing 

Booney wrote:Thompson/Wines, Dangerfield/Ebert, Kerridge/Boak, Sloane/Cornes, Douglas/Hartlett with the likes of McKay, Crouch, Lyons and Laird taking on White, Monfries, Gray and Wingard. This is where Port gets the advantage in the midfield and why we’ve been able to outrun sides most of the year.

Crouch could be a real factor in this game. Adds some desperately needed depth to the midfield. Is he underdone? That is the question.

Booney wrote:Port get the nod in the midfield – I’d say comfortably.

If it's wet weather I reckon that will even things up a fair bit. Sloane, Dangerfield, Thompson all love the wet, especially Sloane.

Booney wrote:We get now to the danger zone for Adelaide, the second best forward half in the competition. And I’ll note early, an interesting selection to leave out Truck Rutten. When the ball will spend time in the back half for Adelaide they need someone with a cool head and guiding voice. Rutten is, or was, the man for mine. I would have left our Podsiadly and used Otten forward and brought in Luke Thompson to play in the back half on Westhoff. I guess Sando knows what he’s doing... Showdown 2014 v2 - Page 2 3349184707 

I agree about the need for experience - but Port's attack would destroy Rutten as soon as it hit the deck. Risk versus reward just not there in this instance IMO, good decision by Sanderson.

Booney wrote:For Adelaide to win I think Walker will need 5+, Jenkins 3+ and the likes of Podsiadly and Betts 2+ while the midfield throw a couple more in.

Or in other words - if the good Adelaide turn up we'll have a belter on our hands, and it the **** Adelaide turns up we'll have a belting on our hands. I'll be there so I'm hoping for the belter!
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:46 pm

Gingernuts wrote:
Booney wrote: There’s every likely hood a fire will start in the centre this week as two giant Redheads go at each other.   lol! Hi Ginge!!  Very Happy  Lobbe and Jacobs will exchange serious amounts of SPF30+ as they battle each other with the odd chop out from Trengove and Jenkins.
Some of your best work there Booney!  Laughing 

I had a couple of others up my sleeve, I'll use them Monday in the wash up.  Very Happy 
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul on Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:12 pm

One of Schulz or Westhoff will kick 7, whichever one doesn't have Talia.

If the rain holds Port by 110.
If it's wet, maybe 50 odd. 15 goals to 6.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:57 pm

with the Crows having no SANFL committment & Port playing Sturt tomorrow, does this give Adelaide an edge or will Port not play 3 players anywhere over the weekend & keep the status quo ?
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul on Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:32 pm

I'm stunned but bloody stoked.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks

Back to top Go down

Post by IAmTheWarrior on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:24 pm

Excellent game. I think Trengove's injury was a blow to Port as he wouldn't have been subbed otherwise. Too many Port players spectating today which is rare for them. I note lots of comment on twitter about the umpiring which I think just reflected Port being caught behind or under pressure all day. (Sure we bluffed a couple but if you don't have the footy in your hands you don't get the frees.) as a crow girl I loved the games of Sauce, Danger and Eddie but also thought Matt Wright and Porps (I know he got subbed) did some good things at pivotal moments. Also delighted to seeLuke Thompson back in the side. He's been burning a hole on my Supercoach Bench all year so I'm hoping for a few more games before he gets dropped so I can make something out of him!!
IAmTheWarrior
IAmTheWarrior

Teams : Woodville (now WWT), Crows, Strathfieldsaye Storm and Sunshine Kangaroos
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:39 pm

Funny how people have a go at Adelaide supporters when they complain about umpiring but am loving Port fans whinge on other forums tonight.  Laughing
Paul
Paul

Back to top Go down

Post by valleys07 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:57 pm

**** that hurts. That really really ****ing hurts.

Remember those days when the media were pumping us up as a premiership favourite? Put the tag away fellas. We are behind Sydney, Fremantle and Hawthorn and today emphasised that. I'm not for a second saying we are done this season- far from it, but there is still a little way to go before we are out and out the best side.

Im never one to play the blame game and look for excuses- but as soon as Trengove went down, the entire state of the game changed. For a while now, I have felt deep down we are 1 KPP short, and today we went crying for it. Our entire structure went to water with that injury. Would an extra tall have won us the game? no- would it be the difference between top 5 and top 2- definitely!

Adelaide showed today how good a side they can be when it all clicks- but bugger me id hate to see that stuff today in comparison with last week. Ports hunger for the contest just wasnt there today, and we were found wanting, massively.

Is it our flag chances gone? i wouldn't go that far. You can kiss top spot gone, to come home against freo, sydney, collingwood and the coast....far more nervous about the latter 2 than I was a fortnight ago.

As for Adelaide- **** it pains me to say this- well done. Jacobs immense, Thompson continues to hurt when left unrespected, Talia huge on Schulz and Betts a matchwinner.

My top 5:

Travis Boak- Our skipper was massive today, but talk about bugger all support. He and Wines led the mid brigade today. 33 touches (17 contested), 10 clearances, 6 I50's and a goal- brilliant performance on a tough day at the office.

Ollie Wines- Another one to hold his head high. 29 touches (11 contested) and 6 tackles (a stat which we absolutely smashed- shows we were 2nd to the footy for most of the day I think). Love this kid- 19 and a bull around the footy- just no mates today unfortunately.

Jasper Pittard- Plenty of knockers 2 weeks ago, yet the only defender willing to offer significant drive from the back half I thought. 20 touches and 7 R50's (at 92% DE). I think Ken backing this fella in 2 weeks ago when he was at his (potentially) lowest ebb after the swans is significant- and his last 2 games have been great to watch. A real positive to take out of todays game.

Matt White- Did all he could today to break the great wall that was the adelaide back 6 today. That goal in the 1st was special, finished the day with 17 touches, 8 tackles and 5 I50's, respectable numbers for such a dominant AFC back 6. Continued to work hard into space, provided some good link up run. Can hold his head high.

Matty Broadbent- After the 1st 4 it gets pretty bleak- broady's numbers stack up ok. 19 touches and 7 R50's. Often mismatched once Trengove went down, and did well to force the ball boundary side and did everything in his power to generate offensive movement- solid performance.

But how about the names amongst our worst. Lobbe, Ebert, Wingard (1 real stinker and out come the knockers), Polec, Westhoff, Hartlett...shudder at that power fans- We are like waking up with a fithy hangover and a fat sheila "bad" when they all go missing.

Seriously though- what the **** is going on with our umpires this season. Before you Adelaide fans get your knickers in a knot- someone tell me how Dangerfield gets the free for ripping Impey's head off? Someone tell me how Gray wasnt done holding the ball in that 2nd term (could throw a number of calls for HTB in there too)....fair dinkum AFL- get your **** together.

Massive game against the bombers next week. Massive. How we respond will determine where we finish I think. Cant wait to hear Kenny's presser.....hope he tore ****ing shreds off his leaders tonight.

Back to the little hole I go..
valleys07
valleys07

Teams : Port Adelaide, Port Power, Hope Valley

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee on Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:24 pm

Some great previews and reviews, much appreciated Booney and Valleys.

First umpires. I thought Adelaide got a good run, but it didn't really make much difference. It seemed that Port were a bit flat, but were certainly outworked by Adelaide.

Jacobs was massive, in both meanings. Apart from his goals, I doubt I've seen Adelaide enjoy such an advantage at the clearances. I don't know what the stats were, but it seemed to be the difference to me.

Dangerfield was wonderful and Scott Thompson just has to be admired. I've read criticism of Talia from some quarters, but he is close to being the best defender in the comp and kept Schulz out of the game

Whay does need to be said, though, is that the game showcased some of the best goals and marks of the srason - a great game to watch.

Some of Port's stars were kept very quiet, especially Hartlett and Wingard.

Now it's up to Adelaide to resist being dumb smartarses next week in a game they should win. They're mentally fragile and easily satisfied, so they need to approach it as they did today,
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by valleys07 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:33 pm

redandblack wrote:Some great previews and reviews, much appreciated Booney and Valleys.

First umpires.  I thought Adelaide got a good run, but it didn't really make much difference.  It seemed that Port were a bit flat, but were certainly outworked by Adelaide.

Jacobs was massive, in both meanings.  Apart from his goals, I doubt I've seen Adelaide enjoy such an advantage at the clearances.  I don't know what the stats were, but it seemed to be the difference to me.

Dangerfield was wonderful and Scott Thompson just has to be admired. I've read criticism of Talia from some quarters, but he is close to being the best defender in the comp and kept Schulz out of the game

Whay does need to be said, though, is that the game showcased some of the best goals and marks of the srason - a great game to watch.

Some of Port's stars were kept very quiet, especially Hartlett and Wingard.

Now it's up to Adelaide to resist being dumb smartarses next week in a game they should win.  They're mentally fragile and easily satisfied, so they need to approach it as they did today,

Heard (or read) someone mention Lobbe > Jacobs purely based on scoreboard influence. Nek minnit- Jacobs 3 goals and showdown medal. GAGF'd  Laughing 
valleys07
valleys07

Teams : Port Adelaide, Port Power, Hope Valley

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:52 pm

Absolutely hoarse after that game. Possibly the best game I've ever been to live I reckon.

The boys showed some real ticker today. Now as R&B said they need to back it up next week, for the love of God!

In the mean time though it's nice to finally get some respite from the relentless Port bandwagon for a few days at least!
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:19 pm

i wonder whether all those talk back callers i heard on the radio last week when i was coming home from the trots will be ringing up praising the coach this week ?
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:33 am

Firstly, I'm not going to let one half of football against an Adelaide side under rated widely across the competition act as time for despair or reason writing the season off.

I'll focus on the good of Adelaide and then the bad of Port.

Jacbos - In my preview I said the contest of the gingerhead men will not have too big a bearing on the game as I felt Lobbe was ripe and ready to challenge Jacobs ginge-to-ginge.

Bzzzzt - wrong! Jacobs ripped Lobbe a new one. Make no mistake, Jacobs was the difference yesterday. I highlighted how he kicked one goal for the year up to yesterday, he kicks three in one bloody day. Uuuuurghh.

When he wasn't hitting the scoreboard he was hitting Scott Thompson on the tit with another hit out to advantage to give Adelaide the first look at the clearance, which the likes of Thompson, Dangerfield, Sloane etc don't need a second look at.

In defence Thompson, Jaensch and Brown somehow managed to keep Robbie Gray, Monfries and Wingard quiet. Very, very quiet. I don't think there'll be too many games where all 3 Port small forwards have off nights and I'll back them in the next time these teams meet.

This I think one of those occasions where the midfield supply stopped the forwards from getting any meaningful delivery and it showed.Adelaides midfield pressure on Ebert ( who looked under "perceived" pressure all night ), Boak, Wines and in particular the "set-up" men in Broadbent and Hartlett was very good. No Port midfielder was given time to shine and Adelaide reaped the rewards.

Jenkins, Walker and Podsiadly had little impact on a night not made for big men, bar a few occasions where he slipped away, Impey had a pretty 50/50 match up on Betts and Lynch looked like a bloke who should have had perhaps another run at SANFL level. He was blowing up too often and will be better for the run.

On the Port side not alot went right, the biggest being the loss of Trengove late in the second term. His steady influence down back and his chop out in the ruck was sorely missing in the second half and probably contributed to Jacobs' dominance in the ruck. Jenkins was barely used in the ruck as Sanderson backed Jacobs to outlast Lobbe.

Wingard was well held, Robbie Gray had a quiet night, Monfries and Smith neutralised each others influence on the game and although he kicked 2, Schulz was well held by Talia. Early on it looked like Westhoff was going to "get a hold" of Andy Otten, but as the supply dried up so did any chance of a Port victory.

So, Adelaide was pretty much season on the line stuff last night, a loss would have almost meant 2014 was another wasted opportunity and I wasn't surprised they got up for the game and had a win.

For Port, three weeks prior with soft wins against the Bulldogs and the St's with a tight loss to the Swans in Sydney might have had the group a little ahead of themselves. It looked a little that way.

Adelaide worked harder and got the result, Port looked a little flat and struggled to get going.

I look forward to meeting them again, perhaps even again this year, and I think a slightly off week for Port and a strong performance from Adelaide's midfield got them over the line.

Ginge, it's only a bandwagon if you jump on and off and nobody will ever accuse me of that.
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch on Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:43 am

Good assessment Booney. Westoff went quiet after missing a goal he should have kicked and I think his game wasn't helped by Trengrove's injury, which forced him to spend much of the 3rd quarter in the defensive 50. Crows played well, were definitely the better team on the day, but I agree I can't see several of Port's weapons all being shut out of a game at the same time, for the same length, again.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:25 am

Booney wrote: Ginge, it's only a bandwagon if you jump on and off and nobody will ever accuse me of that.

Certainly not referring to you or valleys for that matter with that comment.

As for Port's season being 'off' after one game, hardly. They had an off night, but the 'panic button' is still front and centre in Sanderson's office. No need for Hinkley to even knock the dust of his yet IMO.

If anything I think the game will most likely end up being a positive for Port. It has highlighted a few issues for them at a time when they still have a third of the season to work on them before the minor round finishes.

From an Adelaide perspective I couldn't be happier. It's been a tough year, a bloody tough year, supporting this team. All I had going to the game was hope, every rational bone in my body screamed that we were no chance. That was further exacerbated by the pre game announcement that both Kerridge and Laird were late withdrawals.

I just kept thinking, praying even, that the boys could just lift for this game and give us a Showdown win to ease some of the torture they've put us through this year..... and they did! They bloody did!!!!

Gee they showed some ticker yesterday. There were times when it was clear that they were the lesser side in terms of skill and composure, and yet there seemed to be this 'will to win'. Certain players in particular - Sauce, Dangerfield, Sloane, Thompson, Crouch, Betts - just refused to give up. It started with Dangerfield's goal at the end of the first term which was a real statement to his teammates I reckon when the game looked like it would follow the expected script. Lesser lights in Wright & Martin just threw themselves into every contest. And the defence, boy did they turn up to play.

All in all one of the great Showdown victories for Adelaide, and one of the best games I've ever witnessed live. In the context of our season it might not end up mattering a lot, but today it means everything to me.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum on Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:55 pm

Love reading this thread - great write ups, opinions and thoughts from everyone !!
True quality.

This was my first showdown experience and I was not sure what to expect - I won't lie when I say I like having 85% of the crowd on 'my side' - so I was a little worried that that percentage was going to be lowered - well what I experienced yesterday was the need for ear plugs ... how LOUD was it - was awesome - loved it !!  I guess the outcome helps too, but really did enjoy the whole atmosphere.

Like you GN - on the way to the game when I heard Laird and Kerridge both out my heart did sink a little.

My facebook status before the game was "Dear Power please done slaughter us, Dear Crows please bring your A game" .... and the Crows did that - pressure all game, and determination and fight to the end.

Very happy to have been there - and now I agree with you GN - 'for the love of god' please carry this form into next week - GWS will be no pushover.

One last thing - when the Power ran out at the start with their club song playing - I turned to my husband and said "Wow, I sort of have mixed emotions because Port are my second team" ... the look on his face I thought I was going to be sitting alone for the whole game  Laughing ... Mind you, once 'My boys' ran out it was 'Port who'  Very Happy 

Love this game!

That is all Showdown 2014 v2 - Page 2 2829010660
A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman on Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:07 pm

is it true that the Crows run out individually & get announced just like they do in basketball ?

i hope not, surely they can't let all football traditions die, i believe it is better watching your team run out as a team than in dribs & drabs, keep some Australian traditions & not take on American (or others) traditions
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by A Mum on Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:44 pm

False...lol

They run out as a team, and then whilst they're warming up each player is individually 'introduced' on the big screen.

Showdown 2014 v2 - Page 2 2829010660
A Mum
A Mum

Teams : Adelaide Crows - South Adelaide
My club : crows

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:33 am

Yep, I like it too.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:36 am

"The Eddie Betts pocket"....please, I'll bring up my porridge if I hear this one more time.

The bloke has kicked three goals from there, one while out of bounds and your coach thinks it should be the "Eddie Betts pocket" even when Port play there...... Showdown 2014 v2 - Page 2 1014419045 Showdown 2014 v2 - Page 2 1014419045 

Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:04 am

Booney wrote:"The Eddie Betts pocket"....please, I'll bring up my porridge if I hear this one more time.

The bloke has kicked three goals from there, one while out of bounds and your coach thinks it should be the "Eddie Betts pocket" even when Port play there...... Showdown 2014 v2 - Page 2 1014419045 Showdown 2014 v2 - Page 2 1014419045 

Must be tough for you Booney, having your side beaten by your arch rival from their lowly 11th spot, losing top spot in the process, and having the little bloke you've rubbished all year knock nails in the coffin twice in the dying minutes. Laughing 

He might of kicked 3 goals, but they are 3 of the finest I've ever witnessed live I'll tell you that.

Tony Hall kicked one half decent goal in a state match and had the pocket at Footy Park informally named after him. It's just a nickname mate, I don't think anyone's about to call the sign writers in.  Laughing 
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:22 am

Not tough at all.

We're sitting second, well entrenched in the 8, looking towards a finals campaign for the second year running with what appears to be a very bright future ahead of us.

You need to get to the footy more if they are three of the finest goals you've witnessed.... Very Happy 

He's a reasonable little player, that Betts character. Not someone who I'd pay $500k+ per year, he's not really a build your team around franchise player, but he'll be an adequate little goal sneak.

Then again, desperate times after Tippett-gate called for desperate measures. Laughing 

Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:41 am

Booney wrote: Not tough at all.

We're sitting second, well entrenched in the 8, looking towards a finals campaign for the second year running with what appears to be a very bright future ahead of us.

Exactly. No need to get the knickers in a twist.

Booney wrote: You need to get to the footy more if they are three of the finest goals you've witnessed.... Very Happy 

You need to watch more footy without your black, white and teal contacts in.

Booney wrote:He's a reasonable little player, that Betts character. Not someone who I'd pay $500k+ per year, he's not really a build your team around franchise player, but he'll be an adequate little goal sneak.

Then again, desperate times after Tippett-gate called for desperate measures. Laughing 

$500k might be a bit over market value for Betts, but it's also not enough to expect a 'build your team around' franchise player. No one expects him to have the same impact as a Buddy Franklin FFS.

In my opinion Betts has this year:
- Made our forward line far more dangerous, particularly in the last few weeks now his midfield teammates have worked out how to deliver it to him;
- He kicks team lifting goals and brings his teammates into the game;
- He brings the crowd into the game;
- He absolutely brings people through the turnstiles;

Whatever Betts has done to you, or your cat, or your dog, or whatever, you need to get over it Booney. Your anti-Betts campaign is now officially irrational and unfounded. Anyone with half a brain can see that Adelaide's investment has been worthwhile. Look at the stats, there all over the net at the moment.

Adelaide have certainly made some mistakes over the last couple of years, but recruiting Betts sure as hell ain't one of them.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney on Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:52 am

Pretty certain it's not my knickers in a twist after that tirade!!!  Shocked 

Anti-Betts campaign?  Laughing 

He's not done anything to me, my recently departed cat or my dogs. In fact I highly doubt he'd have had the capacity to hurt them anyway. Wink 

My slightly short of half a brain, working through black, white and teal contacts enjoys watching Betts play. He comes into games from time to time, works a little magic and then disappears....his good moments are very good indeed, it's just a pity for Adelaide he doesn't do them more often. I guess that's why you're not in the 8, inconsistent performances and all that.

Now, I've got some irrational and unfounded work to do..... Showdown 2014 v2 - Page 2 169538438 
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by mickyj on Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:21 am

I think the crows showed the other AFL teams who have struggled against the power this year, how to beat them !!
And a fair few Port players went missing or struggled under pressure from the crows !
Betts beat Impy (I apologise if the spelling is wrong)
The Crows backline of no names beat the way better Power forwards !!
Jacob beat Lobe !!

Or did Port go in with the mind set this games in the bag
mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL