Booney
Lee
UncleHuey
Gingernuts
10 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Port v Sydney & Adelaide v North Melbourne Empty Port v Sydney & Adelaide v North Melbourne

Post by Gingernuts Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:30 am

I'm getting on the new thread early this week as we have a real blockbuster on our hands!

Port Adelaide vs Sydney in the battle of the form sides of the season so far will be an absolute beauty. Personally I reckon Port are the goods here. I think Sydney will struggle with their pace and run - and also I just really want Sydney's ar$$$$e to be handed to them on a platter. I think many AFL followers across the country would be with me on that one too.

Adelaide vs North will be an interesting match up between two sides that have promised much but failed to deliver. Both outfits have had seasons of disappointing form, sprinkled with the odd unexpected victory here or there to torture their fans with false hope.

I think Adelaide will continue their yo-yo season with an impressive victory. They have their home deck sorted now I reckon and will use it to their advantage. Will post a bit more on this game later.

Post away folks.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Port v Sydney & Adelaide v North Melbourne Empty Re: Port v Sydney & Adelaide v North Melbourne

Post by UncleHuey Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:15 pm

Sydney players are exempt from the rule that you cant hit opposition players in the head and expect to be suspended. Given that both Buddy and Goodes are playing, I think they will stretch the Port defence if Tippet plays as well. Port's run vs Sydneys team defence. Port's small forwards may be the key, if they can score more then Sydney's tall forwards the Power should win.

As a Crows supporter want them both to lose  Very Happy but this should be a cracker of a game.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Port v Sydney & Adelaide v North Melbourne Empty Re: Port v Sydney & Adelaide v North Melbourne

Post by Lee Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:21 pm

Rather than Sydney players being exempt, I think it's high profile players (or media-backed players).

I heard that the Chairman (?) of the Match Review Committee resigned recently after the Viney decision was overturned.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:31 pm

Tippett out for two weeks with his knee.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:48 pm

Booney wrote:Tippett out for two weeks with his knee.

Exactly what I was saying after Sydney belted Geelong a week ago. An impressive forward line when all are fit BUT how many games are Tippett, Buddy & Goodes actually going to play together in this season? 2 out of 12 so far.....

Another domino falls Port's way, their season continues to open up like the Red Sea did for Moses.

I'm not bitter. Not bitter at all.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:39 pm

This Saturday night will see Adelaide win and win big I reckon.

North Melbourne have been far from convincing this year so far, and in my opinion failed to impress again on the weekend. Yes they had a stirring come from behind victory, but they were completely outclassed by Richmond for the first half and it was as much the Tigers ineptitude as anything else that saw them take the points in the end.

It could be said that Adelaide is a mirror image of North Melbourne, with wildly fluctuating form throughout the whole season so far. It has become a supremely frustrating ride for fans like myself, and I am at the point now where I’m pretty well over it and have all but written off 2014 as another bad joke of a year.

Fortunately though for Adelaide, they have a few things going for them this week. Firstly they are on their home deck, which I think they are finally making their own as are their supporters. The atmosphere for a night match will be awesome, as we saw for the Collingwood game, and I think this will be a huge advantage.

Also, there are some handy types displaying some super form in the SANFL that are ripe for a call up. The Crouch boys and Grigg are pushing hard for selection, and Hartigan, Shaw and Thompson are all knocking on the door of a defence unit that played dumb football against Fremantle.

For all that said though, Sanderson won’t find the answers he needs at selection. That lies squarely with the players as it has all year. I do actually believe they will find form and consistency before the season is out – but at this stage by the time they do it will most likely be too late unfortunately.

So…… why do I think Adelaide will win and win big this weekend?

Well, I’m going by the theory that they will do whatever will torture us fans the most, and we’re due for another dose of false hope.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:26 pm

North's best form has been away from home in road wins against Sydney, Fremantle and West Coast (of course beating the league leader at home rates a decent achievement also). Their problem is that you never know which North is going to front. The season is gone if the Crows don't win (and most likely even if they do), so BIG game for them.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:36 pm

What changes would you make Ginge?

Sanderson suggested today the Crouch, Brad type, I assume, needed another run at SANFL level.

Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:38 pm

Injury list as of June 10
Matthew Jaensch (concussion) – Test
Matthew Wright (concussion) – Test
Ricky Henderson (ankle) – Test
Angus Graham (illness) – Test
Sam Siggins (hamstring) – Test
Tom Lynch (jaw) – 1 week
Jared Petrenko (leg) – 4-5 weeks
Lewis Johnston (hand) – Nine weeks
Nathan van Berlo (Achilles) – TBA

Clearly the highlighted 4 are in Adelaides best side, makes you wonder about the depth when top line player injuries are at a fairly low number.

Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:39 pm

There season is gawnski really I think Scrunch.

My one great hope for the season is still that this team will 'click' at some point, and I'm still holding onto that hope whether it brings finals or not.

I genuinely believe that we have the makings of a very handy unit in years to come. Perhaps this is my emotional mind talking rather than my logical one, but IMO we just need to get rid of some dead wood on the list, continue to get games into the youngsters, and be smart at the draft and free agency table for the next 1 or 2 years before we have an excellent squad.

When the majority of the 22 we field is in the 100 - 150+ game category, then we will be on the money.

In comparison out of interest - how many of Port Adelaide's best 22 are sub 100 games Port fans?

Of the side last weekend, Adelaide had 10 at a guestimate without looking at the figures, of which probably 5 were under 50 games. Add another 5 or 6 who have only just crossed the 100 game mark.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:45 pm

Broadbent 90
Hartlett 77
Trengove 89
Wines 35
Wingard 53
Polec 27
Lobbe 53
Impey 11
Pittard 42
Hombsch 25
Newton 2
Sam Gray 4
Jonas 42
Young 25
Robbie Gray* 101

14 > 100
7 > 50

Missing from the best 22, Boak 141, Monfries 180, White 115.

So I'd say Sam Gray, Newton and Young probably go out making it :

11>100
4>50
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:53 pm

Booney wrote:What changes would you make Ginge?

Sanderson suggested today the Crouch, Brad type, I assume, needed another run at SANFL level.

It's bloody hard to be honest. I look at the team from last week and there are no clear 'like for like' replacements for the players out of form. I'm thinking specifically about the small defenders in Jaensch & Brown.

Then you look at some players and think 'well, they played a blinder only last week'.

Urgh. I'm glad I'm not a coach in front of that magnet board this week.

The Crouch boys have to come in though I reckon, Matt at the very least. I'd like to see Grigg back in too.

Jaensch, Wright (late withdrawal last week - I wouldn't let him back in this week), Martin, Brown, Ellis-Yolmen (unlucky for him) all in the gun.

Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:56 pm

Booney wrote:Broadbent 90
Hartlett 77
Trengove 89
Wines 35
Wingard 53
Polec 27
Lobbe 53
Impey 11
Pittard 42
Hombsch 25
Newton 2
Sam Gray 4
Jonas 42
Young 25
Robbie Gray* 101

14 > 100
7 > 50

Missing from the best 22, Boak 141, Monfries 180, White 115.

So I'd say Sam Gray, Newton and Young probably go out making it :

11>100
4>50

Thanks Booney. You've buggered up that excuse. Back to the drawing board.....  Laughing 

Next point - how many were first/second round draft picks?
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:56 pm

Reilly will play this weekend. Sando said the other week when Reilly does play his 200th they'll win for him. Huge pressure on.

We beat North twice narrowly last year, got a feeling they'll be up this weekend and beat us. Possibly comfortably.

Forget finals too, won't be there. The 8 won't change.

Port will beat Sydney in an early grand final preview.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:34 pm

can someone tell which of these teams are playing in Adelaide as both teams are mentioned first, then i'll give my 2 cents worth
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:44 pm

Crows at home Bayman
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:08 pm

Scrunch wrote:Crows at home Bayman

thanks Scrunch

in that case i'll tip Adelaide by 1 point & Port by 11 points
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:04 am

sapaul wrote: Forget finals too, won't be there. The 8 won't change.

At this point in time I couldn't care less about finals. I just want them to consistently play football that's enjoyable to watch to be honest - and for me that all comes down to effort.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:39 pm

Booney wrote:What changes would you make Ginge?

Been thinking about this question a bit more and I reckon it's the midfield that needs the major rennos.

We have an excellent forward line, but as we saw on the weekend if the blokes in the midfield aren't getting the football then any forward line no matter how good is pretty much worthless.

Likewise, the defence is coping a lot of criticism this week but when the blokes in the middle aren't winning the footy and it's coming in a billion times with little or no respite, any defence is going to look second rate.

It's time to make a sacrifice up forward and drop one of the 3 key forwards in order to strengthen the midfield and give it some depth. I would drop Podsiadly, move Walker to half forward and Jenkins deep forward or visa versa, and bring in one of the Crouches or Grigg to come off half forward and join the midfield and give that extra rotation option.

I would also stack the bench with blokes capable of making a significant impact in the middle as well - forget about the hybrid players in Wright (mid/forward) and Martin (mid/half back). Time to put all our eggs in the one midfield basket, take some pressure off the banged up Dangerfield and go for broke now IMO.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:41 pm

This plan would also work well match up wise against North this week, and possibly extend to dropping Rutten in favour of someone with a bit more mobility like Shaw or Thompson.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:53 pm

My team:

B: Laird, Rutten, Brown
HB: Smith, Talia, Otten
C: Sloane, Dangerfield, Mackay
HF: Kerridge, Jenkins, Grigg
FF: Cameron, Walker, Betts
R: Jacobs, Thompson, Douglas

INT: M Crouch, B Crouch, C Ellis-Yolmen, Lyons (sub)

IN – M Crouch, B Crouch, Grigg
OUT – Jaensch, Martin, Podsiadly

Wright would not come back despite his late withdrawal last week as his form doesn’t warrant it.

Other possibles – Reilly for Brown & L Thompson for Rutten.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:31 am

SYDNEY v PORT ADELAIDE
SCG, Saturday June 14, 2.10pm

SYDNEY

B: Rampe T Richards Smith
HB: Malceski Grundy Shaw
C: Jetta Kennedy K Jack
HF: McVeigh Reid Parker
F: Cunningham Franklin Goodes
FOLL: Pyke Hannebery Bird
I/C: Derickx B Jack Laidler Lloyd

EMG: Jones Membrey Rohan

IN: Pyke B Jack
OUT: McGlynn (hand) Tippett (knee)

PORT ADELAIDE

B: Hombsch Carlile Impey
HB: Broadbent Trengove Pittard
C: Monfries Boak Cornes
HF: Hartlett Westhoff White
F: R Gray Schulz Wingard
FOLL: Lobbe Wines Ebert
I/C: Young Mitchell Jonas Cassisi

EMG: Neade S Gray Newton

IN: Monfries White Boak
OUT: S Gray Polec (ankle) Newton

ADELAIDE v NORTH MELBOURNE
Adelaide Oval, Saturday June 14, 7.10pm (ACST)

ADELAIDE

B: McDonald Thompson Hansen
HB: Dal Santo Firrito Mullett
C: Gibson Swallow Greenwood
HF: Nahas Tarrant Harvey
F: Black Petrie Thomas
FOLL: Goldstein Ziebell Cunnington
I/C: Bastinac Anthony Adams Atley

EMG: McKenzie Jacobs Wright

IN: Thomas Tarrant
OUT: Wright Daw

NORTH MELBOURNE

B: Rutten Talia Smith
HB: Brown Otten Laird
C: Mackay Dangerfield Sloane
HF: Betts Podsiadly Wright
F: Walker Jenkins Kerridge
FOLL: Jacobs S Thompson Douglas
I/C: Reilly Jaensch Martin M Crouch

EMG: L Thompson Lyons Grigg

IN: Reilly Wright M Crouch
OUT: Cameron (groin) Ellis-Yolmen Lyons

Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:34 am

So Adelaide have gone with Reilly, Brown, Laird, Jaensch & Martin all in the same team. How many small defenders does one team need??

I don't necessarily disagree with the Reilly selection, but according to Sanderson it's because he's one of the best ball users at the Club. Really? Am I the only one that thinks he shanks it up with the best of them?
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrunch Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:17 am

Ive said from the day he was brought in, the Crows should try Brown up forward at some stage. I doubt that will happen in a hurry but he is very good around goal.
Scrunch
Scrunch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:24 am

Scrunch wrote:Ive said from the day he was brought in, the Crows should try Brown up forward at some stage. I doubt that will happen in a hurry but he is very good around goal.

Yes, well someone from that list has to be going forward you would think. Jaensch & Martin have also proved to be handy around goal on the odd occasion they've been thrown down there.

Brown has copped a lot of flack this season and there is no doubt he has been down on form - but I also believe he has a lot of potential and will develop into a regular and capable defender. This is only his 3rd season I think.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next