+4
Booney
howthewestwaswon
bayman
Gingernuts
8 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Go down

Elimination Final - Port v Collingwood Empty Elimination Final - Port v Collingwood

Post by Gingernuts Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:00 am

Port return to finals action for the first time since the 2007 Grand Final, in what will be an important milestone in the development of the Club.

They have beaten Collingwood once already this year, but I can't see them getting over the line in this one. The Pies will be up and about in front of a packed MCG crowd and I think they will get over the line fairly comfortably in the end.

The clash will be a fantastic experience for Port's younger players though, and will hold them in good stead for the future.

I'll leave Booney to go into the clash in more detail.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Elimination Final - Port v Collingwood Empty Re: Elimination Final - Port v Collingwood

Post by bayman Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:20 pm

close for a half & then Collingwood to power away & win by 7 goals
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Elimination Final - Port v Collingwood Empty Re: Elimination Final - Port v Collingwood

Post by howthewestwaswon Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:12 pm

I think Collingwood will win by 5 goals.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:51 am

Yea I think you're pretty close with those margins.

Just on Collingwood - they aren't the team they used to be that's for sure. They aren't really cohesive IMO, and seem to be more of a team of individuals since Buckley took over.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:32 am

No problems Ginge, I will.

There is one area that I think Port can take advantage of in this match, the ruck division and clearances.

Although Grundy has been impressive for Collingwood in recent weeks the likely hood of Lynch missing or not being 100% fit, or journeyman Hudson playing, or indeed Reid helping Grundy in the ruck leaves Port in a position of well, power with the fit a firing Matt Lobbe and Renouf in the side with Westhoff and Trengove (who competes really well in the ruck, I'd hate to stand him he just looks so hard, all knees and elbows - in a good way...).

I think we will take two ruckman into the game, I think. This will mean someone unlucky misses out. ( I'll go through the changes in a moment ). Part of playing the extra tall might be to send the resting ruckman forward to stretch Collingwood and make them move Reid back, taking a tall from their forward half.

Ports clearance work has beeen solid all year with Boak leading the way, Ebert, Wines, Wingard and Cassisi helping out. This is where we can match Collingwoods midfield, but as always first touch is very important.

I think Port will tag Pendelbury with Cassisi, I think Cornes will again try to shut down O'Brien across half back. I would expect Collingwood to send Macaffer to Boak, Boak is our most dangerous midfielder. Monfries will play the defensive forward on Shaw. Seedsman will play that role on the much improved and creative Broadbent.

Collingwoods midfield group probably pressures the opposition as good as any, but their real damage is caused when they spread and open you up on the rebound. This gives Cloke and Reid a chance one out with Blair, Kennedy, Didak and other smalls ready to pounce. This is Collingwoods real strength, their spread. Port need to be very wary of Collingwood getting ball outside the contest as they have some of the best ball users in the game in Pendelbury and Swan.

As the modern game goes there really isn't any stay at home forwards any more so Cloke and Reid will have Carlile and Trengove as shadows while Schulz and Westhoff will see Brown and either Russell/Maxwell go with the other.

In all honesty I think the teams match up very closely and the match might be decided by experience in big matches, which there is no doubt favours Collingwood. Having said that, the excitement Ports young players will take to the big stage will be interesting to watch.

With Hartlett, Carlile and Gray certain starters I think Logan, Stevenson and Hombsch will make way for them. This way I think Renouf will stay in to, as above, stretch Collingwoods back half.

Tip - Collingwood 13 points. Man that hurts....

I had organised AFL member reserve tickets through work for this one, but have decided to stay at home and watch the Magpies before racing home to watch the Power.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:02 am

Well done Booney, your maggies are more important IMO.

Hate with a passion both clubs, can they both be eliminated please? Laughing 

I think Collingwood might prevail in a tough game by 16 points on the back of a Dane Swan special second half.
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:01 pm

the more the week goes on the more i'm starting to think Port not only can or might win but they will win, their pace will worry Collingwood, i'll change my tip to Port by 15 points
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:34 pm

Well if it's anything to go by, about a dozen of the Power players had a feed tonight in the Seaton Hotel (where I was) carbing up for the weekend. Although it could have been a protein fix they were after.

$25 for a 1kg Rump Steak?

Very reasonable prices I think.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:06 pm

Port will win this.

Looks like Kochie will be there, no mention of him on 7two's election coverage.
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:23 am

bayman wrote:the more the week goes on the more i'm starting to think Port not only can or might win but they will win, their pace will worry Collingwood, i'll change my tip to Port by 15 points
Poor prediction
Port won by 24 points not 15 points !

I will make a prediction
Geelong v Port Adelaide

I'm confident Port will improve on the 119 point GF loss of 2007
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:30 am

Cracking effort by Port last night. Great team to watch.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by howthewestwaswon Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:14 pm

That was Port's greatest win since the 2004 GF last night IMO. Great football.
howthewestwaswon
howthewestwaswon

Teams : North Haven, BMW, BBH, South Whyalla, Lobethal

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:34 pm

howthewestwaswon wrote:That was Port's greatest win since the 2004 GF last night IMO.  Great football.

good call that
bayman
bayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:45 am

Wow! What a game and what a win!

Ebert, Cornes and Wines were outstanding under pressure when the ball needed to be won. Cornes was excellent by foot, he's harshly criticised for his disposal. From 25-40m he rarely misses the target. Wines was strong in the clinches winning the ball and crashing into the Collingwood inside midfielders, what a gem he is. Ebert won ball inside and outside and played the role of an onfield leader while Boak was held by Macaffer.

Schulz offered and option up forward (what a screamer!) and Wingard with all his class kicked 2 crucial goals, both off the pack in the right spot at the right time.There are many promising young players in the competition, but I dont know there is one as good,as consistent, as prepared to take the big moment and make it his as Wingard.

Trengove stood tall, Carlile won one-on-one contests against Cloke on two very important occasions.

I'm so glad I stayed home and went to watch the Magpies play, I'm also glad that I've got my flights, accomodation and tickets booked for this Friday night.

Before I do my preview, I think our pace might worry the Cats and they have nothing in the ruck department at the moment.
Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by brodlach Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:39 am

Pains me to say this Booney, well done Port

I feel dirty Embarassed 
brodlach
brodlach

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down