FOOTYfollower
Scrappy
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Adelaide Hawk
bayman
10 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

conversations with Ian Chappell  - Page 3 Empty Re: conversations with Ian Chappell

Post by Scrappy Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:36 am

Was that Victorian player a Slugger when he batted ?

There was talk of this player being selected to play in the 4th Test v SA
Ian Chappell said he would not play in the same team and would pull out if that player was picked
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

conversations with Ian Chappell  - Page 3 Empty Re: conversations with Ian Chappell

Post by Adelaide Hawk Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:53 am

I always have a chuckle at Chappell's comments that during a Test v West Indies in 1968-69, Australia bowled the Windies out giving Australia a lead of 340 runs on the 1st Innings.

He says Bill asked him what he should do to which Ian replied, "I think we should send them back in again". Lawry replied, "I'm going to have another bat".

Chappell says that he told Lawry he was wasting his time asking him because it's obvious they were poles apart in their thoughts on cricket. Chappell says, "I was Bill's vice captain for more than 10 Tests after that, and to Bill's eternal credit, he never asked me another thing". Smile

Chappell also said that his grandfather Vic Richardson offered him very little advice on cricket except this one thing, "If you ever get to captain Australia, don't captain like a Victorian"

BTW Scrappy, the original tour of 1969-70 was indeed India and Pakistan, but they dropped the Pakistan leg due to financial problems. Apparently the Pakistan currency was worthless to anyone outside of Pakistan.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:21 am

Bill Lawry :
" Ian Chappell is the best batsman in the world "
This comment was made just before the South African Test Series

Ian Chappell made
0 + 13
0 + 14
34 + 0
17 + 14

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:29 am

Chappelli, probably asked the Phant not to praise him ever again either, as well as not requesting his advice.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

My club : sturt

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:34 am

Courtesy of ESPN Circinfo.
When Lawry's Australians paid it forwardForty years ago, Australia's cricketers undertook back-to-back Test tours, just like now. If it wasn't for the shabby treatment they received back then, their modern counterparts might not have had it as good as they do

On New Year's Eve, 1969, an Australian squad led by Bill Lawry flew out of India after a five-Test series. They had triumphed 3-1 in difficult conditions and had been away from home for two and a half months, but instead of flying back to Australia for a well-deserved break from the rigours of international cricket, they set off for South Africa and another four-Test series. In all, they were on tour for more than five months.

Fast forward 41 years and Michael Clarke's men are in South Africa, ready for the second leg of another back-to-back Test tour.

How things have changed. The Australians of 2011 played three Tests in three weeks in Sri Lanka, before some of the squad members spent a few precious days at home between series. Now they are ready for an absurdly short two-Test series in South Africa. The presence of three formats also extended the layoff for some.

There was no such luxury in 1969-70. On the contrary, by proposing an extra Test at the end of the South African series and refusing to pay the Australian players what they requested for the additional work, the Australian board unknowingly laid the foundations for the World Series Cricket revolution later that decade.

By the time a fifth Test was suggested, Australia had lost 4-0 to an outstanding South Africa side, having failed to carry their form from India. Barry Richards averaged 72 as an opener, Graeme Pollock was at his best, and no Australian scored a century.

"It wasn't so much the different conditions, it was that Graham McKenzie and the fast bowlers had had a heavy workload over all those months," Lawry said, recalling the tour in the lead-up to this week's first Test in Cape Town. "It was a big ask. They wouldn't do it today. They play two Test matches and come home today. It was a very heavy workload, but that's no excuse - we were beaten by a better side.

"They were the only four Test matches Barry Richards ever played, and he's probably one of the best opening batsmen of all time. Graeme Pollock was at his peak. Then there was Eddie Barlow and all these other players; Mike Procter was at his peak. And they were just a very well-balanced side. They got us on the rebound a bit but we never really looked like beating them.

"If we'd gone there fresh from Australia, we probably would've still got beaten - perhaps not the same result, but we would have been beaten. You've just got to give full credit to South Africa."

But the Australians didn't go to South Africa fresh. Their tour of India, though successful on the field, was extremely testing off it. The players were unhappy with the accommodation, which the offspinner Ashley Mallett later described as "more hovels than hotels". He wrote that on a late-night visit to their hotel kitchen in Guwahati, the players "were greeted by a sea of cockroaches swarming over the wet floor and several cats dancing on the salads in the fridge".

In the book Chappelli Speaks Out, Ian Chappell recounted that the day before flying to South Africa, the players stayed at the luxurious Taj Mahal Hotel in Bombay, "but it was only for one night, and that only increased our anger because we knew that there were good hotels in India, but our board wouldn't book us in at them".

"South Africa were leading 4-0, and we said we'd play but we wanted more money. The board said, no you won't. It was typical of the board, unfortunately"
Lawry on why the proposed fifth Test in Johannesburg was cancelled

"It should never have happened," Lawry said. "The tour we went on and the accommodation and the food - but that's history. We could make all the excuses in the world, but you can't take it away from South Africa, they were just too good. I played in three series against South Africa, in '64, '67 and '70, and we never beat them once. Over that period of time they were as good as any side in the world."

All the same, the discontent towards the board encouraged the players to stand up for themselves when a fifth Test in Johannesburg was proposed. The board offered each player an extra $200 for their trouble. At a team meeting, Chappell, the vice-captain, encouraged his team-mates to show the board they wouldn't be pushed around. The players told the board they would play for $500 extra per man.

"It was a grab for money," Lawry said. "South Africa were leading 4-0. The board said, no you won't. It was typical of the board, unfortunately. We would probably have been beaten 5-0 but we were prepared to play if they were prepared to pay us a reasonable amount of money, which we weren't getting at the time."

The board refused, the fifth Test was not played, and when Lawry submitted a scathing captain's report to the board on his return to Australia, his cards were marked. The men in suits who ran Australian cricket were not amused.

"I never had a direct meeting with the board or board members. The only meeting we had was in Victoria, when the Victorian players asked for a meeting with the Victorian board members, which we got. We told them what the situation was. The answer was very simple. They said, 'If you don't play for us, who do you play for?' We walked out and that was the end of discussion. That was their attitude. In 1976-77 they paid the price."

Unfortunately for Lawry, he paid the price much sooner, when he was stripped of the captaincy before the final Test of the 1970-71 Ashes.

"I knew I'd have a black mark, but sooner or later you have to make a stand," Lawry said. "You might not win, but you have to make the stand."

Future generations of Australian cricketers, Clarke's squad included, should be thankful that he did.

Brydon Coverdale
November 8, 2011
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:01 pm

South Australia v New South Wales
Adelaide Oval
February 1964

It was Richie Benauds last SS game of cricket
And what a game it was
Some great cricketers played in this match , including
SA had Favell, Chappell, Sobers , KG, Jarman, Hawke
NS had Simpson, Oneill, Booth, Walters, Philpott, Benaud , Corling

NS 306
Martin 93 not out
Benaud 76
Sobers 6/81

SA 376
Sobers 124
Chappell 55
Benaud 3/77

NS 5/390 DEC
Booth 162 not out
Benaud 120 not out
Sellers 3/139

At this stage the 33 year old Richie Benaud was destroying SA with the bat, and had taken 3 wickets
In the first dig NS were 6/109 when Benaud came in to bat , and NS made 306
In the 2nd dig NS were 5/169 when Benaud came in to bat, and NS made 5/390 in 327 minutes of batting , wow !
Gary Sobers 6/81 + 124 was simply Gary Sobers

On day 4 NS progressed from 5/270 to 5/390 declared
Benaud from 48 to 120 not out
SA were set an imposing target of 321 runs in about 2 sessions on day 4

Here is comments made by Ian Chappell about this game
* Naturally Les Favell had a significant influence on me in those days, and when I took over the SA captaincy from him in 1970-1971 , Im sure much of the Favell influence brushed off on me
Les was an inspiring captain, as well as an aggressive batsman
He used to love the challenge of beating or scoring points against the strong NS teams of the 1960s
On one occasion I recall , NS captain Richie Benaud set us a fairly stiff target to win on the final day of a shield match in Adelaide
Typically Favell decided to take up the challenge , and turned to his opening partner Neil Dansie saying " Come on Nod, lets get away to a quick start"
Favell started in stirring fashion , hitting 12 runs off the first over against the new ball
After he had disposed of his 3rd four in that over he turned to Dansie at the other end, and within earshot of the NS fast bowler, loudly said " You'd better get in for your chop early quickly nod, this fellow wont be on for too long."

That bowler in that 1st over was Frank Mission

The chase of 320 went like this

46 Favell
64 Dansie
26 Sobers
33 Chappell
32 McLachlan
5 Jarman 5
0 Hurn 0
2 Sellers

SA were 8/237 and perhaps well and truly out the game
Play for a draw, nah
KG Cunningham and Neil Hawkeye Hawke didnt give up , epitomising the Favell doctrines of the times

8/305
15 needed
Cunningham OUT 68

John Lil joined Neil Hawke
Both sensational forwards in the SANFL , now trying to win this cricket game
Lil batted 11 both innings of this game , and yet was considered good enough to play Test Cricket as a batsman
Lil with a career SS batting average of 36.36 was no mug

SA got to 314 and Lil was dismissed for 2 , SA lost by a meagre 6 runs
The 314 was made in 54.7 overs in only 230 minutes
Hawke was 27 not out
Benaud 2/32 did his bit again

Lil C Philpott B Corling 2
By getting those 2 runs Lil got to a milestone of 4,000 FC runs

And didnt Richie have a marvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvelous match

Last edited by Scrappy on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:56 pm

Chappelli on Holidays
Interview in January this year.

Where's your favourite place to travel on holiday?

IC: Chicago in the US, so I can watch baseball at Wrigley Field and listen to blues music at Buddy Guy's club and all the other music places on Rush St. It's also one of the most architecturally beautiful cities I've ever seen. I wouldn't like to be there in winter, though.

What about for work?

IC: The Caribbean. The people are like Australians - they like music, a bet and a drink. They also have good beaches with beautiful clear blue water and the weather is excellent.

How many holidays do you get to take a year?

IC: I do enough travelling with work each year that it's a pleasure to just stay home. I enjoy nothing more than reading, playing snooker and the odd game of backgammon. Walking the dog makes for a relaxing time, too.

Do you collect souvenirs?

IC: No, the memories are enough, although I do like to take photos.

You've been travelling your entire life. Has it changed you?

IC: Travel is the best education you can experience. Having to look after myself at a young age overseas prepared me well for life.

Has anything gone wrong?

IC: The usual - delayed flights and lost baggage. This happens often in the Caribbean, where the BWIA airline is known as But Will It Arrive?

Top of your travel bucket-list?

IC: I'd like to go back to a few places I've already enjoyed. Chicago is at the top of the list.

Where to next?

IC: Nothing planned at this stage. My trips tend to be fairly last minute because of work and ageing animals.

Big city hotel or B&B?

IC: I'm happy in either. All I need is a good bed and shower head.

Is there anything you can't travel without?

IC: A comb. My father was always telling me to comb my hair.

What has travel taught you?

IC: To treat people equally. When you travel to different parts of the world, the thing that stands out most is there are more good people than bad.

Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:05 pm

Chappelli on Squad Rotation

Ah, well, I can understand that you've got to give the fast bowlers a breather every now and then, but to rest batsmen is bollocks. And what I really have a problem with is that the players get no say in it.

If Don Bradman came up to me and said, "Son you need a rest", I'd think about it. But if Pat Howard (Cricket Australia's general manager) came up to me and says, "You're gonna have a rest", I'd say, "**** off mate, I need to bat." Even if Bradman told me... I'd be saying, "Look, Don, I really think I need to be playing."

I have a major problem with resting batsmen.

The other thing I find difficult to understand if that you've got players who are resting for Australia and then they're playing IPL. I find that incongruous.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:06 pm

BWIA Laughing
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:10 pm

Chappelli on Captaincy

You've got to earn their respect. That's why I've always liked the Australian system where you pick the best XI and then you pick the captain from that XI. You've got to then earn their respect as a captain and maintain respect as a player and a person. You've also got to give them honesty.

Bear in mind there was no Players' Association then; if there was a fight to be had with the board, it was down to me. You get bad news as part of the game, but players can cop bad news if you give it to them honestly and face to face.

I also felt – and I think this is overlooked a bit – that it was your job to make the cricket interesting for the players. In doing that, you get the best out of your best players. If you make it dull and bloody boring for them, they'll just go through the motions. You're trying to win from ball number one. If you get into a Test match and you try to get into a position where you can't lose before you go hard for a win, to me that's a crap way to play cricket.

I had a fan come up to me after a day's play, before I was captain, and say, "Jesus Christ that was a boring day's cricket", and I'd say, "**** mate, you think it was boring for you, at least you can get up and go to the bar or go home. I had to stay out there."

I think Clarke's a very good captain. Of the recent captains we've had I've got Mark Taylor as our best by quite a margin, but on his early showing I'd have Clarke second. He's got a lot of Mark Taylor's traits about him – he's another one who goes out to win the game from ball number one. If Australia are to win in England, a lot of it'll have to go down to Michael Clarke.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:18 pm

Chappelli on Favourite Movies and TV.

Movies

Off the top of my head, 'The Gods Must Be Crazy'. I got a helluva laugh out of it. It's an African movie – it was about this Coke bottle that fell out of a plane, and it either KO'd a guy or it landed next to him, I forget which, and the whole thing went from there. It was bloody hilarious, and I guess funnier for me beacuse I'd been to Africa a lot. It was very much the African sense of humour. It was a pretty brave movie in those days, because apartheid was still around, and it was taking the p!ss.

I like 'As Good As It Gets' – I'm a bit of a Nicholson fan. I like Crazy Jack. I don't think he acts at all, I think he just plays himself. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, I'd have to put that up there. I thought that was bloody brilliant.

De Niro I like, and Billy Crystal, I think he's pretty talented.

TV Programs

As a young kid I used to love watching The Untouchables, and it was because of The Untouchables that I had this desire to go to Chicago. There's a program called Rake, it's had two series over here.

Comedy

I love the English sense of humour, I was a big Goons fan. I think Monty Python is bloody hilarious.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:25 pm

Scrappy wrote:South Australia v New South Wales
Adelaide Oval
February 1964

It was Richie Benauds last SS game of cricket
And what a game it was
Some great cricketers played in this match , including
SA had Favell, Chappell, Sobers , KG, Jarman, Hawke
NS had Simpson, Oneill, Booth, Walters, Philpott, Benaud , Corling

NS 306
Martin 93 not out
Benaud 76
Sobers 6/81

SA 376
Sobers 124
Chappell 55
Benaud 3/77

NS 5/390 DEC
Booth 162 not out
Benaud 120 not out
Sellers 3/139

At this stage the 33 year old Richie Benaud was destroying SA with the bat, and had taken 3 wickets
In the first dig NS were 6/109 when Benaud came in to bat , and NS made 306
In the 2nd dig NS were 5/169 when Benaud came in to bat, and NS made 5/390 in 327 minutes of batting , wow !
Gary Sobers 6/81 + 124 was simply Gary Sobers

On day 4 NS progressed from 5/270 to 5/390 declared
Benaud from 48 to 120 not out
SA were set an imposing target of 321 runs in about 2 sessions on day 4

Here is comments made by Ian Chappell about this game
* Naturally Les Favell had a significant influence on me in those days, and when I took over the SA captaincy from him in 1970-1971 , Im sure much of the Favell influence brushed off on me
Les was an inspiring captain, as well as an aggressive batsman
He used to love the challenge of beating or scoring points against the strong NS teams of the 1960s
On one occasion I recall , NS captain Richie Benaud set us a fairly stiff target to win on the final day of a shield match in Adelaide
Typically Favell decided to take up the challenge , and turned to his opening partner Neil Dansie saying " Come on Nod, lets get away to a quick start"
Favell started in stirring fashion , hitting 12 runs off the first over against the new ball
After he had disposed of his 3rd four in that over he turned to Dansie at the other end, and within earshot of the NS fast bowler, loudly said " You'd better get in for your chop early quickly nod, this fellow wont be on for too long."

That bowler in that 1st over was Frank Mission

The chase of 320 went like this

46 Favell
64 Dansie
26 Sobers
33 Chappell
32 McLachlan
5 Jarman 5
0 Hurn 0
2 Sellers

SA were 8/237 and perhaps well and truly out the game
Play for a draw, nah
KG Cunningham and Neil Hawkeye Hawke didnt give up , epitomising the Favell doctrines of the times

8/305
15 needed
Cunningham OUT 68

John Lil joined Neil Hawke
Both sensational forwards in the SANFL , now trying to win this cricket game
Lil batted 11 both innings of this game , and yet was considered good enough to play Test Cricket as a batsman
Lil with a career SS batting average of 36.36 was no mug

SA got to 314 and Lil was dismissed for 2 , SA lost by a meagre 6 runs
The 314 was made in 54.7 overs in only 230 minutes
Hawke was 27 not out
Benaud 2/32 did his bit again

Lil C Philpott B Corling 2
By getting those 2 runs Lil got to a milestone of 4,000 FC runs

And didnt Richie have a marvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvelous match

Those were the days, Scrappy.

I can still remember rushing home from school to watch the last day and the SA run chase. It was the first day of school for the year and I was just starting grade 5. Ken Cunningham and Neil Hawke looked as though we were about to pull off a miracle win when KG was caught in the slips by Bob Simpson. John Lill, like KG a batsman good enough to have played for Australia, had broken a finger whilst fielding in the first NSW innings. He came out and cover drove a ball for 2 virtually using just one hand. Unfortunately he then edged Corling to Philpott at second slip who took a very good catch and we lost. We did win the Shield that year though.

How strong were the two teams? 10 out of the NSW XI played test cricket, only keeped Doug Ford wasn't a test player. SA had 6 test cricketers together with Ian McLachlan who was 12th man for Australia and KG and John Lill who both toured New Zealand with the Australian Second XI. Even the SA twelfth man, David Sincock, played test cricket.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:14 pm

Chappelli on Bevvies

When I was playing I pretty much drank beer only, because I knew how I was gonna wake up on beer. I still love beer but I don't drink anywhere near as much as I used to.

I'm more red wine now. It's mainly to do with sleeping. I find that if I drink a bit of beer I'm up having a p!ss after three hours and I can't get back to sleep. Whereas if I drink red wine [laughs], I usually get at least five hours and I can go back to sleep. I'd probably narrow it down to Shiraz, and particularly South Australian Shiraz.

Always knew Chappelli had good taste! Who doesn't like a good SA Shiraz? PS: I can relate to his nocturnal habits. Probably the downside of getting older. COTTWG
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:12 pm

Keeper them coming Chambo
Getting some more insights on Mr Chappell

Ian Chappell was also a good Baseball catcher
He represented SA in the Claxton Shield 1964-1966
He was good enough to make the All Australian teams of 1964 + 1966

He started his career at the Glenelg Baseball Club, where his father Martin was the coach

Heres a snippett on his Baseball by Chappell

* Being a Baseball catcher means you are close to the umpire, which means he can hear any comments that are made.
But that didnt stop me
As in cricket, if anyone wanted to engage in a verbal joust on the diamond I was ready to accommodate them
I always believed that sort of vocal approach helped my game
Its the old story of playing better when the adrenalin is running
I was always willing to have a go, but tried at all times to keep it within the rules, and I was never reported or suspended in my baseball career.*

Robranisgod
Thanks for that explanation as to why John Lil batted number 11
I had not known that John had a broken finger

Question
Was John Lil considered a better SANFL footballer or a SA cricketer
John played for a very fine football club !

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:38 pm

Scrappy wrote:Keeper them coming Chambo
Getting some more insights on Mr Chappell

Ian Chappell was also a good Baseball catcher
He represented SA in the Claxton Shield 1964-1966
He was good enough to make the All Australian teams of 1964 + 1966

He started his career at the Glenelg Baseball Club, where his father Martin was the coach

Heres a snippett on his Baseball by Chappell

* Being a Baseball catcher means you are close to the umpire, which means he can hear any comments that are made.
But that didnt stop me
As in cricket, if anyone wanted to engage in a verbal joust on the diamond I was ready to accommodate them
I always believed that sort of vocal approach helped my game
Its the old story of playing better when the adrenalin is running
I was always willing to have a go, but tried at all times to keep it within the rules, and I was never reported or suspended in my baseball career.*

Robranisgod
Thanks for that explanation as to why John Lil batted number 11
I had not known that John had a broken finger

Question

I just remember him playing for Norwood. I think he was number 3. He was Norwood's best player in the heart breaking (for Norwood) loss in the 1960 Grand Final. He kicked 4 goals from Centre Half Forward including 3 in the first 10 minutes of the game. In the last quarter he kicked the goal that gave Norwood the lead. If you see the film of that game, I think that you see that goal. What a shame that Barrie Barbary's 60 yard drop kick that regained the lead for the roosters wasn't on that film.

I have talked to a number of Norwood supporters who also played district cricket (Lill played cricket for Sturt) and to a man they say that he is the best district batsman they played against, the Chappells included. Perhaps he didn't have the absolute hardness needed to become a test player or perhaps he just didn't have the time.

Remember that he was a Doctor of Engineering as well.

later in life I think that he was CEO of the MCG.

Despite playing for a football club that I have never liked much, John Lill has remained one of my absolute heroes.

State cricketer, state footballer, Ph.D. What do blokes like that do in their spare time?

And of course his dad was a Magarey Medallist.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:57 pm

Very elegant cricketer, IIRC.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:08 pm

Chappelli and Iron Gloves on Moustaches

An amusing theorisation from the Mad Chatter webs site.

Rod Marsh - Legendary Australian wicket keeper Rod Marsh is a true hero of Australian sport and a hero to the moustache loving community on account of his outstanding specimen.

Marsh and his moustache made his debut in the summer of 1970-71 in controversial circumstances replacing the incumbent and highly popular keeper Brian Taber. The media at the time were highly critical of his selection and his early jitters and it was then that he earned the nickname of "Iron Gloves", although it is thought that "Iron Mo" would have been more appropriate based on the strength of his massive lip caterpillar.

"Iron Mo" always put the team first and this was no more evident than in 1970-71 when then captain Bill Lawry declared when Marsh was 92 not out, only 8 runs short of a maiden test century. When Marsh was asked by the media about his thoughts on this, he said that he thought that Lawry should have declared an hour earlier. it has been suggested that the reason Bill Lawry declared the innings closed was that he was not happy with the amount of upper lip hair creeping into the team and wanted to make sure that the new moustache brigade knew who was the captain and who called the shots.

"Iron Mo" also had an iron gut and his ability to drink beer was legendary. He set a record for the number of cans of lager consumed on the Sydney to London flight with a tally of 45, a tally later beaten by another moustached marvel, David Boon. He actually drank 46 however this was reduced to 45 as observers calculated that at least one full can of lager never got past the impressive lager filter on his top lip.

The amusing rumour is that it was Chappelli's bushy top lip that allowed him to be a natural leader. His moustache was a classic Aussie style that we have come accustomed to seeing from athletes in the 1970s and he led a team full of fellow mo-bros.

Chappelli has had a running feud with fellow top lip lover Ian Botham. Following a long day commentating for Channel 9, Ian Chappell bumped into Sky Channel’s Ian Botham in the car park of Adelaide Oval. The two legends of the game have had a 30-year argument after a punch up one night.

It started during the Centenary Test at Melbourne in March of 1977 when an uncapped 21-year-old Botham, playing club cricket in Australia, ended up in the same bar as Chappell next to the Hilton Hotel. They traded insults and Botham punched Chappel in the face. Apparently, the two have never traded words since except for that day in the car park.

The Mad Chatter has it on good authority that as Chappelli walked past Botham he made a crack about his moustache being superior to the Pom’s and Botham just blew up. The two had to be separated by members of the public and fellow commentators.

Boy I would have loved to have seen that! And for what its worth, I have been sporting a Mo for some 33 years - albeit not quite as grandeous as the aforementioned. COTWWG

Last edited by Chambo Off To Work We Go on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:49 pm

Ian Botham vs Ian Chappell

Below is a more detailed and perhaps 2 sided recount of the Chappelli / Botham War. It seems one or two liberties may have been taken by the authors of the above anecdote.

It all started in the Melbourne Cricket Ground bar in the Australian summer of 1976-77. Ian Chappell had just retired from first-class cricket and was there to play club matches for North Melbourne. Ian Botham was in Australia on the Whitbread scholarship and was contracted for a season with the University Club. Again there are two different versions of what took place that evening.

According to Botham’s autobiography, he was drinking with players from both sides when he overheard Chappell “giving it the typical Aussie verbals and rubbishing England”. The former Australian captain was becoming loud and it soon became impossible for the young all-rounder not to overhear him. He told Chappell that he did not like what he was saying and warned him “that if he carried on there would be trouble.” Chappelli, however, went on and on, and supposedly ignored Botham’s warning three times.
“Finally, I could take no more so I threw a punch at him. The impact sent him flying over a table into a group of Aussie Rules footballers, whose drink was scattered to all parts.” Botham also alleges that Chappell fled from the bar and he gave chase, hurdling the bonnet of a car in his mad pursuit, but gave it up on sighting of a police car.

In his version, Chappell is more precise and, quite understandably, drastically different. According to him, it started on a previous evening when Botham had obviously had a few beers and had a lot to say in a very loud voice. He made a couple of comments about an Australian player to which Chappell responded: "Yeah, you're a typical county player, you're the sort of player who thinks that if an Australian hasn't been to England and played county cricket, he can't play. You think the only guy who can play in the Australian side is Greg Chappell because he played two years for Somerset.” Botham retorted saying that it was true, and Chappell by his own admission became graphical in his use of idiomatic expressions. "Well you blokes wouldn't know sh!t from a bull's foot.” Botham responded saying that Chappell had opted out of the English tour the following year because “too many blokes are looking to knock your block off.” Things had gone on along these lines for a while.

The following Friday night Chappell at the MCG bar again, leaning back in his chair with his feet up, making some observations about county cricket and Botham was sitting close by. At some stage Botham supposedly said, “Everyone's looking for you in county cricket, because you are a p***k. You abused me when Australia played Somerset.” He went on to become quite explicit about the specific abuses Chappell had hurled at him.
Chappell knew that he had not played against Botham at Somerset and a long argument followed, but Botham could not be persuaded. Eventually, he lost his temper completely, grabbed an empty beer glass and pressed it against Chappell's cheek screaming, “I'll f****ng cut you from ear to ear.”
Chappell replied, 'Son, that won't f****ng impress me very much. In fact, (it) would be an act of cowardice. I'll tell you what would impress me - if you cut me with a cricket ball. And you'll get every chance tomorrow because I'll make sure I bat for as long as I can and give you every f****ng chance. But I'll just give you one tip. You better do it with a cricket ball that bounces. If you try doing it with a beamer, you had better make it a f****ng good one because if I can get up I'll get down the other end and I'll hit you over the head with the f****ng bat.’ At this Botham pushed him off the chair yelling, ”C'mon let's fight.”
Chappell claims to have said that he did not fight because it was stupid, one landed up either in a hospital or a jail and he had no intention of going to either of those places over a “c***t like you.”
According to Chappell's version, he then calmly walked out of the bar, and as Botham started up to follow him out, another Ian (Callen), an Australian Test cricketer, grabbed him from behind and told him to settle down. Botham, however, denies that he went after Chappell with a bottle or an empty glass.

Chappell has since then called Botham a habitual liar on radio.
Ray Martin – on Channel 9 – had interviewed the two of them together, in the eternal television attempt of cashing in on bad blood. At the end of the program, they had been asked whether at the end of the day they would still have a drink together. Botham had responded in the affirmative, saying “that's cricket mate”. However, Chappell’s answer had been negative and more colourful – “No Ray. I can find plenty of decent people to have a drink with. I won't be drinking with him.”

Thirty four years after their first spat, Daily Mail reported that Chappell and Botham, now grandfathers both, aged 67 and 55 respectively, had dropped their bags at a car park behind the Adelaide Oval and gone for each other’s throats. They had to be pulled apart by people present at the scene.
Chappell later rubbished the reports, saying that Botham and the Daily Mail correspondent in question, Charlie Sale, were two masters of the fairy tales. According to Chappelli, some words had been exchanged, but little else, certainly nothing remotely approaching physical violence.

However, it is more than evident that time has done precious little to heal the rift between the two.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:23 pm

I think Botham and Chappell would not even agree they have the same christian names

South Australia v England
Adelaide Oval
December 1979
3 day match

EG 2/252 DEC
Boycott 110
Botham did not bat
Sleep 2/82
Chappell 0/0 [1]

SA 4/226 DEC
Crowe 78
Botham 2/43

EG 7/227 DEC
Miller 63 not out
Botham 4
Wayne Fang Prior 3/27

SA 3/181
Darling 75
Chappell 19
Stevenson 1/31
Botham 0/12

Match drawn

It was in the first innings of SA that this dismissal occurred
Chappell C Bairstow B Botham 0
Mr Botham predictably gave Mr Chappell a send off

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:04 am

Scrappy wrote:Question

I know that it is footy not cricket but here are the highlights of the 1960 SANFL Grand Final. I am fairly confident John Lill is in fact number 3 for Norwood. I note that he was also Norwood's third best player behind Peter Aish and Bob Oatey in the 1961 SANFL Grand Final so he certainly performed on the biggest stage two years in a row playing at Centre Half Forward, the hardest position on the ground

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXLwn2iY80s
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:20 pm

Chambo
How about some more Chappelli extracts

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:49 pm

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/626895.html

Great link to a conversation with Ian Chappell re: batsmen's techniques. Worth the read.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:15 pm

Scrappy wrote:Chambo
How about some more Chappelli extracts

Ok sir, will add a few over Easter.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Chambo Off To Work We Go Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:00 pm

Chappelli on Cricket Writing
Do you have a favourite cricket book?
Arthur's Mailey's 10 for 66 was a very interesting book. In fact I should go back and re-read the damn thing. Warney's always says he's written more books than he's read. I went to his 40th birthday and I said, "Mate I know you don't read books. I've bought you a couple of books and I want you to promise me you'll read them." I've always found Warney is the sort of guy who, if he tells you he'll do something, he'll do it. So I bought him Tiger and I bought him 10 for 66 and I said, "Mate, read these. They're a couple of old-time leggies, I think you'll find them very interesting." Anyhow I was talking to him the other day and I said, "Now listen you bastard, have you read those books?" He said, "Aww, no mate." I said, "You promised me you'd read them. Now get off your **** and read them will you?" I hope he does because I think he'll get a lot of enjoyment out of them – particularly O'Reilly. O'Reilly and Warne would have got on famously. They were both very aggressive spin bowlers.
Chambo Off To Work We Go
Chambo Off To Work We Go

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next