blacky
Lee
Scrappy
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Best ever South Australian X1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Best ever South Australian X1

Post by Adelaide Hawk Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:34 pm

Never saw Gil Langley so I can't compare. Both players' Test numbers were limited by playing in the shadows of Don Tallon (Langley) and Wally Grout (Jarman).

From what I heard, Langley was a superb keeper, but I've never forgotten the sight of Jarman keeping up to the stumps to Alan Connolly. Sure, Connolly had cut back his pace, but he wasn't bowling slow mediums!!
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Teams : Norwood, Hawthorn
My club : norwood

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:34 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:Never saw Gil Langley so I can't compare. Both players' Test numbers were limited by playing in the shadows of Don Tallon (Langley) and Wally Grout (Jarman).

From what I heard, Langley was a superb keeper, but I've never forgotten the sight of Jarman keeping up to the stumps to Alan Connolly. Sure, Connolly had cut back his pace, but he wasn't bowling slow mediums!!
And furthermore Jarman pulled off one of the most magnificent stumpings off Connolly that I have ever seen. I think it was on Christmas Day, 1967. It was against India and I think that the batsman was Wadekar. For those younger than me but still of a certain vintage, Jack Russell's stumping of Dean Jones off the bowling of Gladstone Small is the only piece of wicketkeeping wizardry that I can remember to match that effort of Jarman's.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:26 pm

That stumping was in this match
AU V IN
December 1967
Adelaide Oval
Played on the 23/25/26/27/28 days of December [why they played on the 24th of and not 25th is ???]

AU 335
Cowper 92
Abid Ali 6/55

IN 307
Farokh Engineer 89
Connolly 4/54[12.4]

AU 369
Simpson 103
Cowper 108
Surti 5/74[20.1] later played for Queensland

IN 251
Subramanya 75
Rennenberg 5/39[14.2]

Australia won by 146 runs
At stumps on day 4 India were 9/236 , and they came back on day 5

The stumping of Wadekar was indeed on day 2 , Wadekar dismissed for 28

I did watch Bob Cowper play, and in my opinion ends up one of crickets most under rated batsmen

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:55 am

Scrappy wrote:That stumping was in this match
AU V IN
December 1967
Adelaide Oval
Played on the 23/25/26/27/28 days of December [why they played on the 24th of and not 25th is ???]

The reason that they didn't play on the 24th was because it was a Sunday and it was illegal to play sport on Sunday in Adelaide yet ironically Adelaide was the only place in Australia where sport could be played on Xmas Day. Thus two test matches and numerous SA vs Qld Sheffield Shield matches were played at Adelaide Oval on Xmas Day between about 1950 and 1970. The last Xmas day Shield match was Xmas 1969 between Queensland and SA in a match that both Greg Chappell and Les Favell scored centuries after both being in the high 90s overnight. I don't think that they batted on Xmas Day though. My family's Xmas tradition was to wolf down Xmas lunch before rushing up to Adelaide Oval for an afternoon of cricket. I was only young but there always seemed to be a fair crowd there.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:08 am

Yes, rig, I went to the usual SA v Qld game one Christmas Day.

As for 'keepers, I saw plenty of Jarman and he was very, very good.
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:09 pm

robranisgod wrote:
Scrappy wrote:That stumping was in this match
AU V IN
December 1967
Adelaide Oval

The reason that they didn't play on the 24th was because it was a Sunday and it was illegal to play sport on Sunday in Adelaide yet ironically Adelaide was the only place in Australia where sport could be played on Xmas Day. Thus two test matches and numerous SA vs Qld Sheffield Shield matches were played at Adelaide Oval on Xmas Day between about 1950 and 1970. The last Xmas day Shield match was Xmas 1969 between Queensland and SA in a match that both Greg Chappell and Les Favell scored centuries after both being in the high 90s overnight. I don't think that they batted on Xmas Day though. My family's Xmas tradition was to wolf down Xmas lunch before rushing up to Adelaide Oval for an afternoon of cricket. I was only young but there always seemed to be a fair crowd there.

Correct
Both Greg and Les were not out at stumps day 2 , and made tons early on day 3

QL 250
SA 500
G Chappell 126
Favell 109 [batted 5 ]
QL 251
SA 0/5

This game commenced on xmas day 1969
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:15 pm

Greg Chappell the best batsman since Bradman
Alan Border the best batsman since Greg Chappell
Ricky Ponting the best batsman since Alan Border

I consider Greg Chappell as being the second best batsman after Bradman of all Australian batsman that I have seen
So it would not surprise anyone that Don Bradman had an influence on Gregs career

In the summer of 64/65 Greg caught the eye of the Don
Greg had developed a leg side shot that was hit through the mid on mid wicket areas
Greg would play this shot often enough to balls pitched on or outside off stump at times
The Don advised Greg to play offside shots to balls pitched on the off stump area , he needed to correct this onside fallacy in order to reach greater heights
Nothing changed Greg continued playing his way
A few years later when Greg was making his mark in First Class Cricket the following conversation took place between the 2 greats

* Good morning Sir Donald.""
"'Id change that grip if I was you."'

Bradman gave this advice on how to hold a cricket bat
Bradman advised him to hold it as he used to, with the vee between the thumb and the forefinger of both hands pointing straight down the back of the handle towards where the handle spliced into the bat

'' Thats the way I used to hold it and I think thats the best way to hold it to be an all round the wicket player.
The grip that youve got now is very good for the onside, but you will never be a good offside player with it ""
Its going to take you some time.
Practice
It will feel uncomfortable because youve been doing it the other way but if you persevere you will become comfortable.
Ive given this piece of advice to one other player who used to play for South Australia - he didnt take the advice and hes no longer playing for South Australia""

Greg thanked the old master and asked a couple players in the dressing room to have a net, where he experimented with the new batting grip
Within 20 minutes he felt comfortable with the grip , and continued with it for his career
An oh boy what a career it ends up being
So much so that in Gregs final Test match when playing against Pakistan , that the great Richie Benaud has this to say when commentating :
"" Beauuuuuutiful stroke
What a marvvvvvvvvverlous way to bring up 100, with a classic cover drive that we have seen so often over the years from this great player.""
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:54 pm

Scrappy wrote:Favell 109 [batted 5 ]

Favell had been batting 4 or 5 for over 2 years. His final innings as an opener was when he put on 281 with John Causby against NSW in Adelaide to create a new SA Sheffield Shield opening record.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lee Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:05 pm

Anyone else have an autographed copy of 'By Hook or by Cut', by Les Favell?
Lee
Lee

My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:15 pm

i'm not old enough to have seen Les play but i am old enough to remember hearing his comments & commentary on the game, was always interesting & entertaining
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:20 pm

I have the book, but no autograph Smile

Les was amazing, he believed in entertaining the masses rather than averages. He would tell his players he'd rather be 7/300 at stumps than 2/290. Never a dull moment when Les was at the wicket.

Players who batted with him tell stories of him skipping down the track to certain bowlers he didn't rate and yelling out "happy birthday to me" as he smashed the ball to all parts of the ground.

A new ball never stayed new for very long when Les was batting.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:59 pm

WA V SA
Perth 31/12/1965 to 4/1/1966
Sheffield Shield match

SA 412
Favell 95
I Chappell 134
Lock 5/93

WA 215
Shepherd 84
Jenner 69
Hawke 6/62

WA follow on 419
Inverarity 177
Jenner 25
Hawke 3/79

SA 3/70
KG 25 not out
Hubble 2/20

Match drawn

During the first innings
Favell and Chappelli made a 175 run partnership , from 1/15 to 2/190
Terry Jenner the young WA leg break bowler came on to bowl to the 2 SA champs
This is a version of the events of day 1 by Terry Jenner
* Favell was on strike
I flicked the ball from hand to hand and came in, having decided to bowl a leg break
My fingers were tense but I thought the release was good
It had spin and curve
And to this day I wonder how much it would have spun because when it reached Les he was already yards down the wicket, meeting the ball at shoulder height and next minute it was disappearing over mid wicket for 4
Knowing that the leggie hadnt landed, I thought I would go with the wrong un
In Adelaide , Id bowled the last over before lunch and got Ian to play and miss
I thought if he cant pick them, what chance has Favell ?
After all he was 36 and had been out of the Test side for years
Released correctly , the wrong un will curve away before spinning back, hopefully through the gate
Out of the hand , it felt good
It was doing all the right things, thanks to the Fremantle doctor, except as I let it go, Les was already advancing and as he hit the ball over mid wicket for 4 said '' Happy Birthday"*
Jenner made up his mind to bowl a slider a ball recommended to him by Richie Benaud earlier in the season
* I bowled it to Les
Again it was released pretty well, but again Les had advanced
Again he said '' Happy Birthday""
And again it raced to the pickets , 12 off 3*
WA skipper then set a more defensive field
* I went back to my leg break and this time it landed, but only just
Les had again used his feet, meeting it on the half volley and crunched it to deep mid off, hitting Invers on the chest with such force that it rebounded almost back to me at the wicket
The non striker Ian Chappell said " Come on Les , theres got to be one in that""
Les replied
'' No way son. You dont think your getting up this end do you ! ? " *

TJ only bowled 5 overs in this innings, but did make a half century 0/53[5]
However in the WA first innings he made 69 surpassing his previous best First Class score of 46
In the 2nd innings TJ took 0/9 [8] , Les Favell got out early for 1 , Im tipping TJ was a relieved man
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:32 pm

Scrappy wrote:WA V SA
Perth 31/12/1965 to 4/1/1966
Sheffield Shield match

SA 412
Favell 95
I Chappell 134
Lock 5/93

WA 215
Shepherd 84
Jenner 69
Hawke 6/62

WA follow on 419
Inverarity 177
Jenner 25
Hawke 3/79

SA 3/70
KG 25 not out
Hubble 2/20

Match drawn

During the first innings
Favell and Chappelli made a 175 run partnership , from 1/15 to 2/190
Terry Jenner the young WA leg break bowler came on to bowl to the 2 SA champs
This is a version of the events of day 1 by Terry Jenner
* Favell was on strike
I flicked the ball from hand to hand and came in, having decided to bowl a leg break
My fingers were tense but I thought the release was good
It had spin and curve
And to this day I wonder how much it would have spun because when it reached Les he was already yards down the wicket, meeting the ball at shoulder height and next minute it was disappearing over mid wicket for 4
Knowing that the leggie hadnt landed, I thought I would go with the wrong un
In Adelaide , Id bowled the last over before lunch and got Ian to play and miss
I thought if he cant pick them, what chance has Favell ?
After all he was 36 and had been out of the Test side for years
Released correctly , the wrong un will curve away before spinning back, hopefully through the gate
Out of the hand , it felt good
It was doing all the right things, thanks to the Fremantle doctor, except as I let it go, Les was already advancing and as he hit the ball over mid wicket for 4 said '' Happy Birthday"*
Jenner made up his mind to bowl a slider a ball recommended to him by Richie Benaud earlier in the season
* I bowled it to Les
Again it was released pretty well, but again Les had advanced
Again he said '' Happy Birthday""
And again it raced to the pickets , 12 off 3*
WA skipper then set a more defensive field
* I went back to my leg break and this time it landed, but only just
Les had again used his feet, meeting it on the half volley and crunched it to deep mid off, hitting Invers on the chest with such force that it rebounded almost back to me at the wicket
The non striker Ian Chappell said " Come on Les , theres got to be one in that""
Les replied
'' No way son. You dont think your getting up this end do you ! ? " *

TJ only bowled 5 overs in this innings, but did make a half century 0/53[5]
However in the WA first innings he made 69 surpassing his previous best First Class score of 46
In the 2nd innings TJ took 0/9 [8] , Les Favell got out early for 1 , Im tipping TJ was a relieved man
And Les got his only Sheffield Shield wicket in that match. A young John Inverarity and an even younger Bob Massie put on a defiant last wicket stand that saved the match for WA. In desperation Les put himself on and dismissed one of them, perhaps Invers given that Scrappy hasn't mentioned that Invers was not out. I just can't recall for certain which of the players Les got out, but I do recall hearing him at long last break the partnership.

Last edited by robranisgod on Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Incorrect grammar)
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:09 pm

Inverarity was dismissed :
C Robins B Favell 177
Massie was 12 not out
They went from 9/334 to 419 all out

Bob Massie was on debut and took 0/54 + 0/17
His International debut in 1972 was slightly better taking 16/137 against England ...

SA needing 222 runs to win, faced 28 overs for 3/70
The equation was 222 off about 224 balls [8 ball overs in those days]
That equation is achievable by todays standards , but at 3/36 I guess the thought of winning passed by
So without the Invers and Massie partnership SA might have won this easily
I assume that Invers and Bob faced at least 25 overs
The SA target might have been a speculative 141 off about 53 overs if the last wicket had fallen cheaply

Favell took 5 First Class wickets
1 Sheffield Shield in this game 1/0 off 7 balls , so he was economical as well
2 in India
2 in South Africa

Les never bowled in his 19 matches for Australia

It is listed that Les Favell played Baseball for SA
Anyone know how good he was at Baseball ?
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:51 am

Speaking of John Inverarity, it was in the 1968-69 season that he was bowled for a duck by Greg Chappell at Adelaide Oval. He was walking off with a startled look on his face until someone discovered the Chappell delivery had deflected off a sparrow in mid flight.

He was recalled and went on to make 89. I recall Rex Blundell walking the struck bird down to the scoreboard end and placing it near the sightscreen. ABC showed a bird in flight several minutes later, suggesting that was the one that got hit. They weren't fooling anyone Smile

At the time WA were still trailing by 137 runs with only eight 2nd Innings wickets in hand, but Inverarity and Chadwick put on 104 to help WA save the game.

Last edited by Adelaide Hawk on Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:58 am

Scrappy wrote:It is listed that Les Favell played Baseball for SA
Anyone know how good he was at Baseball ?

A lot of cricketers used to play baseball as it was then a winter sport. I recall players such as Norm O'Neill, the Chappell brothers etc all playing baseball. Victorian paceman Robert Rowan was an Australian pitcher, as was SA's Dave Mundy.

I only saw Favell play baseball once, it was an exhibition match where several SA cricketers were invited to play. Les was almost 40 and equitted himself well, trying to knock the cover off the ball like he did in cricket.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:57 am

Adelaide Hawk wrote:Speaking of John Inverarity, it was in the 1968-69 season that he was bowled for a duck by Greg Chappell at Adelaide Oval. He was walking off with a startled look on his face until someone discovered the Chappell delivery had deflected off a sparrow in mid flight.

He was recalled and went on to make 89. I recall Rex Blundell walking the struck bird down to the scoreboard end and placing it near the sightscreen. ABC showed a bird in flight several minutes later, suggesting that was the one that got hit. They weren't fooling anyone Smile

At the time WA were still trailing by 137 runs with only eight 2nd Innings wickets in hand, but Inverarity and Chadwick put on 104 to help WA save the game.

WA 157
Meuleman 57
Jenner 5/49

SA 314
Causby 99
Lillie 3/69

WA 385
Invers 77
McCarthy 3/57

SA 8/179
KG Cunningham 77
Lock 3/32

Needing 229 SA were still 50 behind , and the game ended in a draw
Some other players in that game

Lance Gibbs
Excellent West Indian off spinner Lance Gibbs debuted for SA
In this one off season the great Lance took 18 wickets @ 35.11
Lance was 35 years old during this season , and was prob recruited to replace Rowdy Mallett who was on the Test scene

John Causby
Gentleman John Causby was Stumped Marsh B Mann 99 , knowing John that would have pissed him off !
He had an expectation of touring with the Australian team at the time ,the sojourn to India and South Africa
John was a great influence to a few of us in our junior cricket days , he greatly influenced us on how to bet on race horses

Kevin McCarthy
Played league football for Glenelg
Was a cult figure to myself and friends
We would venture down to Adelaide Oval to watch Kev bowl , or watch him on TV
Kev had this almost ritual when bowling that had us cracking up at times
After completing a delivery he would walk back to his bowling mark
He would then push his hair forward to cover his baldness
Kevin would then run in to bowl , and his limited hair would be pushed backwards showing his baldness again
Kevin would then repeat the process pushing his hair forward as he walked back to his run up

Another birdy
I cant recall the Inve'rarity' bird thing
But someone else was caught once at the Adelaide Oval after hitting a seagull , and recalled back to bat
It made the papers , but it escapes me who the batsman was

Ricky Ponting to bee or not to bee
Last week Ricky Ponting was caught and bowled in a Ryobi Cup game SA V TA , Adelaide Oval
Ricky made gestures and a suggestion that a swarm of bees hindered him as he played that shot
Replays show an activity of bees in the vicinity
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:54 am

Scrappy wrote:Inverarity was dismissed :
C Robins B Favell 177
Massie was 12 not out

The player who caught Inverarity was Donn Robins, a big medium pace bowler. Robins remains one of only two bowlers to have taken 4 wickets in 4 balls at Sheffield Shield level. The only problem is that no one realised it for about 30 years. Everyone knew that he took a hat trick to wrap up the first NSW innings in the Adelaide Oval match in about 1965-66, but no one realised at the time that when he got Bob Simpson first ball in the NSW second innings it constituted a "double hat trick."
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:45 am

robranisgod wrote:
C Robins B Favell 177
Massie was 12 not out

The player who caught Inverarity was Donn Robins, a big medium pace bowler. Robins remains one of only two bowlers to have taken 4 wickets in 4 balls at Sheffield Shield level. The only problem is that no one realised it for about 30 years. Everyone knew that he took a hat trick to wrap up the first NSW innings in the Adelaide Oval match in about 1965-66, but no one realised at the time that when he got Bob Simpson first ball in the NSW second innings it constituted a "double hat trick."

This was the match
South Australia v New South Wales
Adelaide Oval
December 1965

SA 528
Barry Jarman 196 [his highest score in SS games]
Rennenberg 4/145

NS347
NS were 7/347 when it happened
Taber b Robins 6
Corling b Robins 0
Rennenberg c Jarman b Robins 0
Walters 114 not out , he saw the hat trick as the non striker

NS Follow on 436
Simpson b Robins 0
Thomas 131
Robins 1/59

SA 6/257
KG Cunningham 78 not out
Martin 3/91

SA won outright, chased the runs down in 40.3 overs , that was a top effort
Don Robins did indeed get 4 wickets in 4 balls
It would have been 5 in 5 balls if he got Grahame Thomas out
Thomas survived the 5 in 5 , might have bolstered his confidence , as he went on to score 131 !
All 4 players involved in the 4 in 4 played Test Cricket for Australia

Don Robins took 52 wickets @ 33.59 in 20 matches
Ive never seen Don play, but that hat trick makes him a famous player

Would be interesting to find out how many SA bowlers have taken hat tricks
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:02 pm

Scrappy wrote:
robranisgod wrote:
C Robins B Favell 177
Massie was 12 not out

This was the match
South Australia v New South Wales
Adelaide Oval
December 1965

SA 528
Barry Jarman 196 [his highest score in SS games]
Rennenberg 4/145

NS347
NS were 7/347 when it happened
Taber b Robins 6
Corling b Robins 0
Rennenberg c Jarman b Robins 0
Walters 114 not out , he saw the hat trick as the non striker

NS Follow on 436
Simpson b Robins 0
Thomas 131
Robins 1/59

SA 6/257
KG Cunningham 78 not out
Martin 3/91

SA won outright, chased the runs down in 40.3 overs , that was a top effort
Don Robins did indeed get 4 wickets in 4 balls
It would have been 5 in 5 balls if he got Grahame Thomas out
Thomas survived the 5 in 5 , might have bolstered his confidence , as he went on to score 131 !
All 4 players involved in the 4 in 4 played Test Cricket for Australia

Don Robins took 52 wickets @ 33.59 in 20 matches
Ive never seen Don play, but that hat trick makes him a famous player

Would be interesting to find out how many SA bowlers have taken hat tricks
I saw Wayne Prior's hat trick live at the Adelaide Oval in November 1975. His was also against NSW, but his hat trick wrapped up the match. As a young boy I was also at Adelaide Oval when Lance Gibbs took his hat trick for the West Indies.

With the Donn Robins four wickets in four balls it is a wonder that it wasn't picked up at the time because NSW followed on. It wasn't as though it was a day apart from the other three wickets but rather 10 minutes later.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:09 pm

robranisgod wrote:

Robins remains one of only two bowlers to have taken 4 wickets in 4 balls at Sheffield Shield level. The only problem is that no one realised it for about 30 years.

The other bowler to take 4 wickets in 4 balls was Hal Hooker of NSW, I think in 1928/29. Hooker is hardly a household name these days, but sporting historians should know of his deeds. Also in 1928/29 he figured in the world record 10th wicket stand with Allan Kippax of 307 runs for NSW vs Victoria. After retiring Hal Hooker was one of the commentators with Allan McGilvray, Vic Richardson and Monty Noble who made the synthetic broadcasts of test cricket from England.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:49 pm

This was the match of that amazing 307 partnership

VI V NS
MCG, December 1928

VI 376
Ryder 175
Hooker 3/100

NS were 9/113 in reply
Alan Kippax , who averaged a healthy 57.22 in FC cricket was joined by Hal Hooker
They took the score to 420
Kippax 260 not out
Hooker 62
What a dud that Hooker was, had he given a bit more support, Kippax might have made a triple century

NS 420
Bradman 1 ...this young kid needed to improve
Hendry 3/58

VI 6/251 DEC
Beckett 95
Hooker 1/38

NS 2/156
The Don 71 not out , thats better

Match Drawn

The next time the 2 teams met at the SCG , the same season

NS 713
The Don 340 not out !!!
Ironmonger 2/220[56]
Darling 2/77

VI 265
Hooker 6/42 including hat trick
Herbert Ironmonger after conceding 220 runs with his bowling presented Hooker with the hat trick ball

VI follow on 7/510
Onyons 131
Hooker 2/54

Match drawn

Hooker with his first ball dismissed Ernie Austen in the second dig
Austen was on debut [not the first player to debut in a hat trick as well ]
Thus Hooker became a 4 wickets in 4 ball cricketer
The Don made his then highest score in the SS with his 340 not out
His previous highest being 134

Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by robranisgod Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:11 am

Adelaide Hawk wrote:Speaking of John Inverarity, it was in the 1968-69 season that he was bowled for a duck by Greg Chappell at Adelaide Oval. He was walking off with a startled look on his face until someone discovered the Chappell delivery had deflected off a sparrow in mid flight.

Derek Chadwick was a fine all round sportsman. It seemed that for a decade we would see him playing on the wing for WA against SA in the winter and opening the batting for WA in the summer. He was a good enough cricketer to tour New Zealand with Australia's second team in 1969-70 when the first team was over in South Africa being hammered four-nil. The second team featured Greg Chappell, Rod Marsh, Dennis Lillee and Terry Jenner all of whom made their test debuts the next summer against England. Derek Chadwick, who was a sports teacher, was over in Adelaide recently coaching at Pulteney Grammar School.
robranisgod
robranisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:50 am

Scrappy wrote:NS 420
Bradman 1 ...this young kid needed to improve

A kid from the bush ... too unorthodox to ever hope to succeed in the big smoke.

I reall a story that Arthur Morris related about Bradman when he made his first appearance in a NSW nets session. After watching him, the comment was passed from a selector, "His technique's a bit crude isn't it?", to which another selector replied, "Yes, but he hasn't missed a ball yet".
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Adelaide Hawk Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:21 am

Speaking of Derek Chadwick, he was one of my favourite players after watching him make a century in the first Sheffield Shield match I ever saw.

It was SA v WA at Adelaide Oval in the 1965-66 season. SA batted first and made 388, Lyn Marks made 127 as an opener, Ian Chappell 99 and Alan Shiell 53.

SA worked their way through WA's top order and when opener Kelly went for 85 (Freeman's 1st wicket for SA), they were 4/161 with SA looking to have the upper hand. Then Chadwick and Inverarity came together (again) and added 159 for the 5th wicket. Apparently cruising, WA lost Chadwick 100 and Inverarity 66 both on 320.

Brayshaw went for 6, and WA were 7/335, SA back on top. Irvine and Jenner then added 51 to take WA to 7/386, needing only 3 more runs for 1st innings points.

Chappell caught Irvine off George Griffiths, and then Chappell had Jenner was caught at the wicket by Jarman to have WA reeling at 9/386, still 2 runs behind. Garth McKenzie and Tony Lock steadied to see WA home, declaring at 9/401.

SA declared their 2nd Innings closed at 8/295 leaving WA 283 to make for outright points. Having failed by 1 run in the first innings, Chappell was run out for 129, Tony Lock took 5 wickets.

WA were in real trouble at 7/157, but managed to avoid defeat thanks to tail end efforts of Brayshaw and Jenner, to finish at 8/224.

That battle for 1st innings points is still one of the most exciting contests I've witnessed.
Adelaide Hawk
Adelaide Hawk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next