Fred Bills and the 19 men incident in his last game

+4
bayman
Scrappy
mickyj
Robin b
8 posters

Go down

Fred Bills  and the 19 men incident in his last game Empty Fred Bills and the 19 men incident in his last game

Post by Robin b Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:27 am

I umpired that game and many of you have wandered from the correct story. No interchange in those days so Fred was sent on by West Torrens coach Norl Teasdale to replace the injured player John Cassin. Unfortunately Fred was in the centre of the ground and Cassin was still laying in the playing area near the boundary. John (not Ray) Hayes the vice captain called for a count despite Captain Bob Loveday not wanting to win a game that way. When requesting West Torrens to line up to be counted they refused and some ran from the field but not Fred. Milan Filetic went up the race Norm Dare jumped the fence and hid amongst spectators while David Raggatt hid under the flaggers of cheer squad at Southern end. After much jshoving and pushing amongst players from. both sides I decided it was impossible to arrange a count and took the ball back to the centre to recommence to stop the debacle .
The incident was reported to the SANFL tribunal who then referred to the SANFL Board who after numerous hearings decided to take no further action . Sadly in this days TV evidence would not be accepted as to the letter of the law West Torrens breached and should have had their score at the time annulled. In the spirit of the law West Adelaide did not suffer as no play was in progress during the whole incident .The introduction of interchange stewards shortly after now controls the matter. Anyhow watch YouTube and see for yourself.

Robin b
Robin b

Back to top Go down

Fred Bills  and the 19 men incident in his last game Empty Re: Fred Bills and the 19 men incident in his last game

Post by Flag No.10 Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:56 am

Thanks for posting Robin, but I would disagree that West did not suffer. Had Torrens' score been annulled as you say it should have been, West would have earned the 2 premiership points it needed to make the final five, having a superior percentage to the 5th placed North.
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Fred Bills  and the 19 men incident in his last game Empty Re: Fred Bills and the 19 men incident in his last game

Post by mickyj Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:47 pm

I was a much younger Micky then
Memories fading
But it was a great part of my football history
Flag 10 you could be right
But we can't dwell in the past
If you do youll get lots of grey hairs like me lol
mickyj
mickyj

My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:13 pm

Thanks Robin
Nice to read your insights in that game
How did John Cassin get injured ?
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by bayman Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:05 pm

Thanks Robin for clarifying the day, two quick questions

1) on the day it happened did you think it would still be spoken about 40 odd years later?

2) do you like football the way it’s played today?
bayman
bayman

Teams : plympton, glenelg, redbacks & whoever the money is on
My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Flag No.10 Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:55 pm

I'll make it three: Knowing that Cassin was still on the ground and that Bills had come on too, and that our captain hadn't given permission for Bills to come on, could you have ruled that they had 19 players on the field or were you obliged to actually conduct a count?
Flag No.10

Teams : West Adelaide
My club : west

Back to top Go down

Post by fatty Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:08 am

torrrens should have been fined for not complying with the umpires request for a count, at the very least, if not loss of points, but it didnt matter cos they were crap anyway
fatty
fatty

Back to top Go down

Post by C.K Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:30 pm

Footage from the match.
C.K
C.K

Back to top Go down

Post by Brucetiki Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:55 pm

This match has reached SB Nation - a US-based You Tube channel that looks at the statistical side of sports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCp28zzO6Pw

Teams : Adelaide, Centrals
My club : dogs

Back to top Go down

Post by fatty Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:58 pm

how many times did freddy playaround with his socks lol
fatty
fatty

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrappy Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:14 pm

Brucetiki wrote:This match has reached SB Nation - a US-based You Tube channel that looks at the statistical side of sports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCp28zzO6Pw

Laughing

Those guys were pretty good !
Scrappy
Scrappy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down