the prowler
UncleHuey
Paul
7 posters

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Go down

Adelaide Crows coaching shortlist  Empty Adelaide Crows coaching shortlist

Post by Ben W Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:27 am

I thought it might be interesting if anyone is intersted in having a punt at who will end up with the coaching job at the Adelaide Crows?

If I had to go and put a bet on it at the TAB, I would put my money on Scott Camporeale. Perhaps there is a comparison there with Matthew Primus in that people may suggest that it is not wise to appoint a coach because they have had some wins with the existing team structure and are popular with the fan base. Yet because it did not work out for Port Adelaide is no real reason or comparision in my mind to suggest that it would not work out for the Crows.

Other names that I have heard suggested are Brendon Bolton, Mick Malthouse, Scott Burns and Stuart Dew. I suspect Bolton will probably be picked for Carlton, Malthouse is unlikely to actually be an applicant for the job, yet good luck to him if he does, I regard him pretty highly even if Caro doesn't! Scott Burns could well be a smokey for the position as its a well known fact that when Sanderson was offered the job the AFC spent a lot of time interviewing Scott Burns and he decided that he was not ready yet to move into a Senior role and removed himself from the process and would likely still have an open door for a future vacancy. Stuart Dew is probably still another year away yet but who can really tell?
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.
My club : south

Back to top Go down

Adelaide Crows coaching shortlist  Empty Re: Adelaide Crows coaching shortlist

Post by Booney Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:44 am

Dew has not thrown his hat in the ring. Bolton will be announced as Carlton coach perhaps as early as tomorrow. Malthouse? You've got to be kidding. If it's Burns leading the way then stick with Camporeale.

The biggest thing Adelaide would want if Campo keeps the job is an older head to oversee, as Worsfold is now. He seems reluctant to take the job on full time though.

Now Essendon are also in the race for a coach it complicates the matter further.

Would Adelaide talk to Bassett? He's highly regarded but is seemingly heading to Port Adelaide next year as Tyson Edwards departs for the Gold Coast.

Booney
Booney

Teams : Port Adelaide, Chicago White Sox
My club : port

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:39 am

The big thing for Scott Camporeale is whether he actually wants the job. He has a young family, and a senior coaching role would be a pretty big commitment in that situation. My gut feeling is that he doesn't actually want to do it full time. If it was me in his situation - I probably wouldn't want it.

So who then will it be? Scott Burns would be on the list I reckon. Would there be an established coach out there willing to take on the challenge? Compared to the other clubs in the market, Adelaide are a very attractive proposition. Plenty of young talent, and they have shown some real ticker as a team this year.

Adelaide has form for appointing people completely off the radar. I'm expecting we might see a surprise development in this one yet.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Teams : Adelaide, Sth Adelaide, Langhorne Creek

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:22 pm

Won't be Dew, wife is firmly entrenched at channel 7 in Sydney and just won't be him.

If Adelaide make the finals and say even win one, Campo is almost certainty to get the gig if he wants it.

Ben Hart, maybe?
Paul
Paul

Teams : Sturt, Adelaide, South Whyalla, Tottenham, Celtic, Adelaide Thunderbirds, 36'ers, Adelaide United, Redbacks, Adelaide Bite, Adelaide Lightning, Dallas Mavericks
My club : sturt

http://funjoint.proboards.com

Back to top Go down

Post by UncleHuey Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:57 pm

Whoosha is quietly pushing Sumich as a candidate. Has a lot of experience as an assistant but basically has never left Perth in his life. My gut feeling is Campo.
UncleHuey
UncleHuey

My club : glenelg

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:08 pm

Talia reportedly said at a function last night that his gut feeling is that Campo doesn't want the job due to having a young family. Something I fully understand, having one of those myself!

I agree with him, I don't think it will be Camporeale - not because Adelaide doesn't want him necessarily, but because he doesn't want the gig.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:10 pm

Malcolm Blight was begged and cajoled into taking the job at St Kilda when he really did not want the job and that ended pretty badly for all parties. So pressuring Camporeale if he really does not want the job would be a bad move I agree with you there.

Two more potential names to add to the list,

John Blakey Sydney, a number of years of experience in one of the top level clubs. I suspect his name is not being mentioned more in the media perhaps for the reason that he may simply wish to remain an assistant, yet has potentially more experience than some of the leading candidates so far.

Brett Montgomery Western Bulldogs. Premiership player that has spent plenty of time living in South Australia before. Has clocked up a pretty good resume of current Assistant Coaching experience at the dogs.
Ben W
Ben W

Teams : South Adelaide, East Fremantle, Sheffield Wednesday, Danny Green, Penrith Panthers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:14 pm

He's an Adelaide boy, has all the skills in the game, could they convince Mark Williams to come into a coaching directors role?

His health has been given the all clear....
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:23 pm

Mark Williams will not get a directors role at the Crows for the same reason that Jack Cahill did not get the inaugural Senior Coaching role at the Crows despite being the better candidate for the job..

Ben W
Ben W

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:31 pm

Ben W wrote:Mark Williams will not get a directors role at the Crows for the same reason that Jack Cahill did not get the inaugural Senior Coaching role at the Crows despite being the better candidate for the job..

Narrow mindedness?
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:26 pm

It is my view that the AFC are quite frightened at times of how they percieve that "the members" will respond to a situation and make poor decisions as a result. The sheer fact that Mark Williams and the Williams family are stalwart Port Adelaide people will ensure that he does not get the job even if he is the best candidate because of concerns that members will not like or agree with the decision.
Ben W
Ben W

Back to top Go down

Post by the prowler Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:52 pm

It's a wonder someone has not mentioned Malthouse as head, with Williams as his capable assistant.

Stop crystal balling.
the prowler
the prowler

Teams : South,Crows, Hectorville

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:33 am

I would be very happy with either Williams or Malthouse in the senior assistant role personally.

Unlike Carlton and Essendon, Adelaide has a very attractive product to shop around to prospective coaches. A lot of the hard work has been done - the new coach just has to come in and put the finishing touches on it IMO.

We might be very surprised to see who comes out of the woodwork to take on the challenge.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Booney Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:42 am

Ben W wrote:It is my view that the AFC are quite frightened at times of how they percieve that "the members" will respond to a situation and make poor decisions as a result. The sheer fact that Mark Williams and the Williams family are stalwart Port Adelaide people will ensure that he does not get the job even if he is the best candidate because of concerns that members will not like or agree with the decision.

Customers mate, not members, customers. Laughing
Booney
Booney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:02 am

Those times are done my friend. Wink

Mind you if they keep playing the footy they are at them moment they can call me whatever they want.
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:50 pm

Scratch Bolton from the list, now formerly announced as the Senior Coach at Carlton!

Would be interesting to know if Bolton was interviewed by the AFC and if they made him a formal offer or not?
Ben W
Ben W

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:21 pm

Yes it would be.

I'm quite intrigued as to what Adelaide is up to in this area. There has been very little speculation.

Fagan seems to run a very tight ship down at West Lakes these days, not too many loose lips around there anymore. Who knows what is going on and where they are at with the process.

They won't make any announcements while their season is still alive anyway, so we'll have to wait at least a couple more weeks (hopefully a few more even!).
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by IAmTheWarrior Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:31 pm

They played a grab on radio over here tonight with Woosha saying that being back at a footy club has reminded him what a good place they are to be around, with the obvious implication that he may be willing to put his hat in the ring. They also mentioned Essendon would be interested but the crows were a more attractive option. Scott Burns still very much in the mix according to the commentators.
IAmTheWarrior
IAmTheWarrior

Teams : Woodville (now WWT), Crows, Strathfieldsaye Storm and Sunshine Kangaroos
My club : eagles

Back to top Go down

Post by Gingernuts Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:47 pm

Yea I heard that grab and it certainly pricked my ears up!

Won't be getting too excited just yet though....
Gingernuts
Gingernuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben W Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:22 pm

It was mentioned on the Radio that Barker from Carlton may be a Candidate for the Essendon and Adelaide Coaching roles also.
Ben W
Ben W

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: AFL :: SA in the AFL

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum